Very old electric auger

• Ryan Overson

I’m curious if anyone knows or remembers an old electric auger, that would connect to a car battery, and it had a steel tube for fluting that would remove the entire ice column it cut. My great Uncle had one of these, and even in the 80s, looked to be a couple/few decades old. I had never looked inside the tube to see the cutting head, since it would leave a cone in the ice column, and to be honest, I don’t know how the ice column came out, just that they’d be laying next to his permy. The auger looked real heavy and I don’t recall ever seeing a name on the powerhead – I think it was white. The fluting did have a helical indentation, probably to assist driving it down, but the columns never came out when pulling the auger out of the holes. For a permy, it was a very clean way of drilling holes, since his house sat almost flush with the ice – there was no runners, but he did have snowmobile skis on the frontend.

Aboxy17

I’ve seen people trying to sell augers like this before. The only use they would seem practical for is in a wheelhouse who would want to drag a car battery around while drilling holes. Never seen someone using one on ice before.

Ryan Overson

I tried Googling it to find out when they were made, or who made them. Nobody from the family reached out to me when he passed away and I was the only one who ice fished with him. He had a lot of neat old stuff and he made a rattle wheel long before someone else mass produced them.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

friend of mine his dad had one. This was in the late 70’s. It was blue the same color as a Mora. It had a 12v motor that was about the size of a starter that had jumper sized wire. We would pull up the truck to the door of the fish house and hope it would reach the holes. It did work good for the day.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I found a picture of the I was talking about

Attachments:
    1. ice-auger.jpg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.