Venison summer sausage

• deertracker

My first time making it. I’m super excited. Going to smoke it in the morning. Ended up with 10 pounds seasoned and 15 pounds with jalapeno/cheddar. What everyone’s go to temp and duration? What internal temp do you want to hit?
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 20220122_121247-scaled.jpg

2. 20220122_135733-scaled.jpg

haleysgold
    SE MN

How long? Depends on your temp control…and 5 other things.
    I shoot for 160 and rarely get there in the smoker.
    Finish in oven or hot water bath.

Oh. I use the Meater to monitor inside temp. A must have.
    Never open the door.
    They look good!
    Smell even better!

deertracker

I followed the Bearded Butcher video when I made it. Just realized now I never added water like they do. doah it seemed pretty wet when we stuffed it. Is it going to be super dried out?
    DT

haleysgold
    SE MN

Depends. Not sloppy juicy but not stiff.
    Water bath helps. Doesn’t dry it out.

deertracker

Sorry for all the questions, never done this before. What temp are you smoking at and at what internal temp do you switch to a water bath?
    DT

deertracker

Also, are you using a water pan in the smoker?
    DT

Coletrain27

The water helps mix up the seasoning and makes stuffing easier pushing through the tube. It should be ok without the water added. I’ve followed the bearded butchers way and it turned out awesome on my pellet grill. They tell ya what temps to start with and durations on the video.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

Start @ 140 for 2 hrs with vents wide open. This dries the casings so they take smoke. Next Smoke @ 160 with vent 1/2 open for 3 hrs or more depending on how smokey you like it. Then remove smoke and add water to the tray and finish smoking @ 220 with vents closed to keep moisture in. Final temp should be 155 to 160. Remove from heat and put sticks in ice water for 5 min. This stops the excessive wrinkles in the casings you get if this isn’t done.
    I’ve done many batches with this method and it turns out great every time. Good Luck

Alagnak1

What kind of smoker are you putting them in?

Alagnak1

I have followed a similar ramp up/schedule and water bath cool off for many years smoking 25 lb batches in a propane cabinet style smoker with great success both summer and snack sticks. Recently- I have also thrown 25# of summer on my pellet smoker, set it at 180 until the probe alarm told me they were getting done (in the middle of the night laying in bed) and then just hit the off button on my phone and packaged them in the morning after cooling off on their own outside in the cold and to be honest I don’t know if I could tell the difference when you go to eat them. A few more wrinkles maybe- but they didn’t weight any less than water cooled batches. Lots of ways to smoke a snausage.

Start @ 140 for 2 hrs with vents wide open. This dries the casings so they take smoke. Next Smoke @ 160 with vent 1/2 open for 3 hrs or more depending on how smokey you like it. Then remove smoke and add water to the tray and finish smoking @ 220 with vents closed to keep moisture in. Final temp should be 155 to 160. Remove from heat and put sticks in ice water for 5 min. This stops the excessive wrinkles in the casings you get if this isn’t done.
    I’ve done many batches with this method and it turns out great every time. Good Luck

haleysgold
    SE MN

I have followed a similar ramp up/schedule and water bath cool off for many years smoking 25 lb batches in a propane cabinet style smoker with great success both summer and snack sticks. Recently- I have also thrown 25# of summer on my pellet smoker, set it at 180 until the probe alarm told me they were getting done (in the middle of the night laying in bed) and then just hit the off button on my phone and packaged them in the morning after cooling off on their own outside in the cold and to be honest I don’t know if I could tell the difference when you go to eat them. A few more wrinkles maybe- but they didn’t weight any less than water cooled batches. Lots of ways to smoke a snausage.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>slowpoke wrote:</div>

Lots of good information and different ways of doing it.
    Experience will be your best teacher.
    I have found a couple things I like.
    I use the amazin smoker tube. I can control the smoke time and heat separate. I like about 2 or 3 hours of smoke.
    I set the temp at about 170 from the start. When the sticks get about 125 or 130 internal temp, it seems they slow way down. I don’t crank the smoker heat then as the sausage seems like it “cools”. Instead, I put them in the oven or hot water, I think around 180. They seem to get up to temp much faster that way. At 155 or 160 internal temp, I pull them and into cold water to stop the process.

You may find you like 1 of these methods or tweak them to your needs. I sure like using my own meat, tools and equipment. Sausage has been better than any I had made prior. Maybe just a pride thing.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I never let my cabinet temp get over 180. Also you might want to check areas inside your smoke because it will be warmer in some and cooler in others. If you try to cook it hotter then that you run into the possibility of rendering the fat in the sausage and it will become greasy. I set my smoker at 155 until casings are dry then smoke 2-3 hours then turn temp till 180 until done. How your sausage will cook will depend on your smoker. An instant probe like a thermal pen is ideal for this so you can check the doneness of the sausage, it will be different temps in different parts. I have not used the water bath method on summer sausage but have use it on hot dogs and it works well. The only thing I would worry about hot water bathing summer sausage is it might not dry out the sausage and could be a little too moist. Good Luck.

deertracker

Got half of them done today.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1642995487098_6891222543523297003.jpeg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My buddys deer stuff just came in yesterday and I cant stop eating them.
    He got jalapeno cheddar in both sticks and summer from Von Hansons and they are outstanding. Their jalapeno cheese summer sausage has always been top on my list.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My buddys deer stuff just came in yesterday and I cant stop eating them.
    He got jalapeno cheddar in both sticks and summer from Von Hansons and they are outstanding. Their jalapeno cheese summer sausage has always been top on my list.

I have never had a bad processed Venison product from Von Hansons. They are a little expensive but have great products. Other than doing it myself I’ll use Von Hansons every time.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Got half of them done today.
    DT

Those look yummy. Looks like you did great. They will taste even better knowing you did them yourself.

JEREMY
    BP

I have never had a bad processed Venison product from Von Hansons. They are a little expensive but have great products. Other than doing it myself I’ll use Von Hansons every time.

Next time you make it yourself just buy the seasoning at Von Hansons and you get the best of both. They get like 10-15 bucks for enough to make 25lbs of sausage. Get everything you need if recipe calls for liquid smoke or something they will even send that with in a little container. You need to call a day or 2 in advance.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.