Vacuum Sealer

• bigstorm
    Southern WI

Looking at getting a vacuum sealer for food storage in the freezer. Does anyone know how well fresh vegetables hold up (thinking about green beans or corn for example) or should I just use it for meat/fish?

Thanks

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

I Use a vacuum sealer on everything that goes in the freezer. Veggies from the garden come out in great condition. I blanch carrots before freezing, drain well bag and seal. Everything else goes right in the bag and gets sealed. Corn gets shucked and rinsed and sealed still on the cobb.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

What Art said.

It’s one of those appliances that I like to keep on the kitchen counter although the fw doesn’t.

I use it a ton when it’s where I can see it.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Great, thanks for the info

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Anyone who is into gardening or who makes jerky/sausage should own one. I’m with Art on garden goodies. Plus these things can go from freezer to boiling water in the bag for cooking.

Do your research Big. Mine cost a couple hundred bucks but mine also does repetitive seals for a long time before needing to cool and it tells me when enough is enough and a break is needed.

John Christesnen

Spend a good amount of time research which sealer to get and what bags work well with that sealer.
    Before we ended up just spending 500 bucks on a decent one we would go through 1 or 2 “FoodSaver” brand units a year if you’re not planning on using them 4 times a week you should be good.
    We have one from Weston Supply but after 3 years now its time for a new one.

Ducky

glenn57
    cold spring mn

personally, i have mixed feelings about them. i never do fish in them, seems it never seals and i am way old fashioned when freezing fish. i still like a milk carton and water.

i’ve had enough bags appear to be sealed good then later in the freezer notice somehow the seal is broke. i still use it but sparingly.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

i’ve had enough bags appear to be sealed good then later in the freezer notice somehow the seal is broke. i still use it but sparingly.

Still trying to seal beer, eh Glenn?

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I love my vacuum sealer especially for camping. As said above, you can cook in the bag. I make meals, vacuum pack, and freeze it. It acts like an ice pack until you take it out and boil some water. Then toss the bag in the water and wait. The only clean up there is to do is dump out the water and through away the bag. You can use any of your favorite crockpot recipes also. Just don’t bring the water temp up so high.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

Still trying to seal beer, eh Glenn?

dang…………..busted!!!!!!!!!!! devil rotflol

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.