UTV Plow Recommendation

• jake47
    WI

I was shooting the breeze with the old guy that plows our driveway out today and he informed me that he is retiring after this season. I will now be looking to take care of it on my own. I’ve been close already as my kids now can take care of themselves for an hour while I plow, but was waiting til he wanted to hang it up since it only runs ~$400-500/year.

I’m leaning towards putting a plow on my Mule instead of moving to a tractor/plow truck. I need to plow ~250′ of my personal driveway and ~ 500′ of our shared, flat driveway. Any recommendations on style/brand to go with or stay away from? I’ve done no research on this yet, but think maybe now is a good time to buy as we are at the end (hopefully) of snow season.

Gitchi Gummi

I have the 72″ denali pro series plow for my ranger and the thing is a beast. I love it and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a UTV plow. I think I paid $900 for it and that included the mount for my ranger.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3470.jpg

icex

Totally agree with Gitchi I have the same one from Moto Alliance and they are a beast. I put chains on the rear tires and three tubes of sand in the back of the Ranger and there is almost no stopping it. You are limited only by how high you can pile the snow.

dbright
    Cambridge

I found used kfi poly plow last year for my pioneer. It has worked well for me even out on the lake plowing out to the fish house. For your use I would probably lean towards a county style blade. Stacking snow can work if you plan ahead. I currently have to areas I have snow piled 10-12 ft

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

We plowed our 1800’+ long driveway and 4 parking areas 1972-2012. In 2012 bought a John Deere X728 with 54″ blower (and mower deck). NEVER plowed since. First year put on the plow “just incase”. Since then never put the plow on.

– 5 passes up the driveway the first snowfall and 5 passes up the driveway the last snowfall.

– No starting 60′ wide hoping to have 20′ in April.

– No gravel in the lawn.

– No moving snow banks with front end loader to make room for more plowed snow.

– I blow a smaller area knowing I don’t need extra room for snow piles.

– No snow bank blocking view exiting the driveway.

– No beating the heck out of truck and Me.

I will never plow again.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^Off topic, but do you have issues with the blower throwing rock? I know you can set skids/shoes up higher, but that still seems like sooner or later you’re going to throw rock.

The reason I ask is that we are plowing ~1200′ of gravel driveway plus at least that much more around buildings. We have a ton of breaker rock down on the shoulders…and question what that’d do to a blower. Our plow truck is getting tired and with its day coming I may sell the plow and invest in something different.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

We plowed or 1800’+ long driveway and 4 parking areas 1972-2012. In 2012 bought a John Deere X728 with 54″ blower (and mower deck). NEVER plowed since. First year put on the plow “just incase”. Since then never put the plow on.

Totally agree. For 750 feet of driveway, a tractor and blower or a skid steer with a snow bucket or hydro-blower would be the only way to go IMO for that much driveway.

Bonus with the skid steer is you can use it for a LOT of other property management work.

mojogunter

I have to say you have been getting a really good deal for $400-500 a year to plow a driveway that long.

I was shooting the breeze with the old guy that plows our driveway out today and he informed me that he is retiring after this season. I will now be looking to take care of it on my own. I’ve been close already as my kids now can take care of themselves for an hour while I plow, but was waiting til he wanted to hang it up since it only runs ~$400-500/year.

I’m leaning towards putting a plow on my Mule instead of moving to a tractor/plow truck. I need to plow ~250′ of my personal driveway and ~ 500′ of our shared, flat driveway. Any recommendations on style/brand to go with or stay away from? I’ve done no research on this yet, but think maybe now is a good time to buy as we are at the end (hopefully) of snow season.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Im also with Gitch and Icex. Denali plow on my Cub Cadet Challenger and have never looked back! Great bang for the buck.

Shannon

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I plow 500’ + parking with a basic 6’ can am plow on the defender. Even with the snow we’ve had this year it’s still getting the job done. We get a lot of wind/drifting. Had to bring in the skid loader a month ago, but only because I didn’t plan well enough for record snow. No question a blower on a HD garden tractor would be a better option, but if you’re trying to do it on a budget, one of the Denali plows mentioned above will do just fine. If you can swing it, get the hydro turn option.

Coletrain27

Totally agree. For 750 feet of driveway, a tractor and blower or a skid steer with a snow bucket or hydro-blower would be the only way to go IMO for that much driveway.

theres the typical IDO answer, go spend 40-80k on a skidloader and blower vs $1000 on a plow. why not just redo your driveway with heated concrete jester

jake47
    WI

A 30 hp tractor/blower is definitely on the want list, but really would like a larger boat first. I didn’t mention that we are in SW WI so we don’t get nearly the snow a lot of you MN peeps have. This has been the 2nd worst snow year since we have lived here, but only have had 2 snows 5″+ to move. Both of those, I could have plowed once early and once later to make it an easier task. We are at the bottom of a valley so there is no real drifting to worry about.

Anyone else run the hydro turn or wish they did/didn’t? I have a Warn winch on the front already so I assume I don’t need to buy a plow specific winch, right?

Coletrain27

any winch will work. get rid of the cable on the winch if it has one and just get a short rope or flat strap made for plowing

Gitchi Gummi

I will add my driveway is 500 ft long plus I plow a roughly 1 acre pond with my ranger and the denali plow. It only takes about 3-4 times up and down the driveway – you’d be surprised how far the plow throws snow and how quickly it gets the job done.

I’ll also add that the plow takes up minimal storage space in the offseason when you disconnect the plow from the mount and store the plow vertical leaning up against the wall. It takes up a grand total of about 5-6 sq ft of space in the garage in the offseason.

Of course a skiddy or tractor would be ideal but you’re also looking at about 20-35X the price… not even in the same ballpark in terms of cost.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I will add my driveway is 500 ft long plus I plow a roughly 1 acre pond with my ranger and the denali plow. It only takes about 3-4 times up and down the driveway – you’d be surprised how far the plow throws snow and how quickly it gets the job done.

I’ll also add that the plow takes up minimal storage space in the offseason when you disconnect the plow from the mount and store the plow vertical leaning up against the wall. It takes up a grand total of about 5-6 sq ft of space in the garage in the offseason.

Of course a skiddy or tractor would be ideal but you’re also looking at about 20-35X the price… not even in the same ballpark in terms of cost.

gravel driveway?

Nodakk

The in laws have the hydro plow on their SXS. I plowed their driveway with it last winter. Super nice not getting out constantly to rotate the blade angle.

Gitchi Gummi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gitchi Gummi wrote:</div>

gravel driveway?

yes sir. I wish I could afford a 500ft blacktop or concrete driveway lol

carver
    West Metro

Here is my setup.

Attachments:
    1. 93D31B51-AB95-4739-94DA-938A7373B33C-scaled.jpeg

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Here is my setup.

Woof! That will move some snow. Those “truck style” plows are dang nice, but quite spendy. On the gravel driveway question, just set your pads down so you leave and inch or two of snow during the first few snows and get a base down. If you’re careful, you’ll end up with very little rock or gravel on the yard.

TH

Carver, how do you ever turn that thing? The tracks don’t turn as well, but the extra cab length too.

Gitchi Gummi

On the gravel driveway question, just set your pads down so you leave and inch or two of snow during the first few snows and get a base down. If you’re careful, you’ll end up with very little rock or gravel on the yard.

Exactly this! I plowed some gravel my first couple go’s back when I was a newb and didn’t know what I was doing. Fast forward to now and I don’t think I’ve plowed gravel into my yard for the last 5 years.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Definitely an acquired skill that Joe and Gitchi are referring to.

I’d say in addition to leaving a base layer of snow at the beginning of the season, make sure you push snow awful far away early in the year. Doesn’t taking long and existing snow piles get hard as a rock and are pretty much stuck in place until they melt, and you’ll need room to push more snow.

I’ve never used a V-plow-to anyone that’s used both, which do you prefer?

carver
    West Metro

Carver, how do you ever turn that thing? The tracks don’t turn as well, but the extra cab length too.

Lol ya with the tracks she is tough. I have a long winding road so it’s somewhat easy. What’s nice is the mount for the plow is customized to keep the normal turning radius of the tracks. Plowing isn’t the only use, mainly ice fishing.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I have a ranger with a 72″ poly plow and hydroturn, it is nice and does a good job. I have a plow on my rzr at my farm without hydroturn, on the long driveway it is fine with the manual angle, only need to get out a couple times.

jake47
    WI

Thanks for all the recommendations. While telling my dad about putting a plow on the Mule, he told me that I should just use his JD 755 with 5′ snowblower since he doesn’t use it at all in the winter. Dads are the best!

Gitchi Gummi

well that will surely get the job done for ya!

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I have a SnowDogg all-hydraulic plow on my Ranger – easy on/easy off and you’re not beating up a winch and the mounting on the frame. It is heavy but that doesn’t seem to make much difference when plowing – maybe even helps keep it on the ground. I bought a used setup this fall and it’s been great.

https://www.buyersproducts.com/product/snowdogg-mut-snow-plow-4605

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.