Used car test car – protocol

• FryDog62

Ok, thx guys – the used boat is sold (sigh)…

But now my wife’s used SUV is for sale (just posted) and we have our first interested buyer. They are coming to test drive tomorrow. What do we need to do? Take a picture of their license plate, drivers license, etc? Do we sit in the car while they drive, ask for proof insurance, etc.

Just don’t want to get taken or be stupid. I’m kind of a trusting soul, but know I shouldn’t be all the time… Appreciate ya’ll’s input on this.

TIA

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Odd you bring this up. We sold my mom’s car tonight. Gave the guy the keys he took it for a drive. Brought it back. It didn’t hurt both brother and I have known him for years

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just go for a ride with them.

Pitter patter

Not letting a stranger take a test drive without me in it, doesn’t hurt a thing

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

No car dealer will even let a prospective buyer take a car out on a test drive unless accompanied by a company salesman. (Yes, surely there can be exceptions.)

Hoyt4
    NULL

I would take a drive with him no big issue might have questions even.

Dealership I’ve never had them ride with me. Even let me take for the weekend before.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’d ride with them. As far as the insurance part goes. It’s your insurance that would come into play if there was an accident while they were test driving it. In Minnesota, the insurance follows the car. Not the driver.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have just took a picture of them with their driver license in my hand and gave them the keys. I felt as long as they left their other car at my place, they would come back for that. I also am too trusting.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I normally tide with so I can help with the route and getting back since they are normally driving in a place they are not familiar with. Sometimes I just let them take the car if they show up with a nicer car than I am selling, at least I am trading up if they don’t come back.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

No car dealer will even let a prospective buyer take a car out on a test drive unless accompanied by a company salesman. (Yes, surely there can be exceptions.)

When it comes to used cars, if the seller isn’t willing to let you take the car to your mechanic for an inspection I’d walk away immediately.
    We have customers bring vehicles in from all over the metro area to be inspected before buying.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m selling an older 2004 Impala that has been sitting in my driveway for too long. It has the 3.8L, like 170k miles and runs and drives fine with new front tires. I took it as trade for a guy who owed me some money after framing out his basement and framing an office space in his shed.

If someone showed up to test drive it, I’d tell them they can just take it if I have a picture of their license and they leave the keys to their vehicle they come with. Otherwise to expedite things, I’d just jump in with them if they don’t care.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>

When it comes to used cars, if the seller isn’t willing to let you take the car to your mechanic for an inspection I’d walk away immediately.
    We have customers bring vehicles in from all over the metro area to be inspected before buying.

Nothing I said would preclude the buyer from doing just that when he takes the test drive. Even better to have both parties (buyer and seller) present for the inspection.

Riverrat

I just make sure they have medical insurance and then tell em to get in the passenger seat. If they and the car both survive my “demonstration” then it’s meant to be. This really only applies to winter beaters and pickups though.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

When I was helping my FIL find a used car 4 different dealerships let me take the car for the day to show him the car. The one he bought the dealership knew I was taking the car to Shoreview from their lot in Northfield.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Dealership I’ve never had them ride with me. Even let me take for the weekend before.

When I was helping my FIL find a used car 4 different dealerships let me take the car for the day to show him the car. The one he bought the dealership knew I was taking the car to Shoreview from their lot in Northfield.

(Yes, surely there can be exceptions.)

I stand by my statement.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

When we were car shopping for my FW two springs ago, we test drove about 10 cars and never had someone from the dealership with. toast

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

When we were car shopping for my FW two springs ago, we test drove about 10 cars and never had someone from the dealership with. toast
    [/quote]

Same when I just bought my last truck a couple months back

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Fry just keep full covg insurance on it, and make sure they leave you with collateral that ensures it gets returned.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Fry just keep full covg insurance on it, and make sure they leave you with collateral that ensures it gets returned.

What collateral might that be? How would anything be collateral that you could legally hold onto, without going through proper paperwork and them handing over the title to you(assuming you’re talking about a vehicle)?

Doesn’t matter how classy of a vehicle they may leave behind, do you even know they actually own it? or was it stolen from the mall parking lot two days ago?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

What collateral might that be? How would anything be collateral that you could legally hold onto, without going through proper paperwork and them handing over the title to you(assuming you’re talking about a vehicle)?

Doesn’t matter how classy of a vehicle they may leave behind, do you even know they actually own it? or was it stolen from the mall parking lot two days ago?

An ID would work as collateral Dave!!! I’m guessing the collateral is a piece of mind so they come back. Not for the seller to keep, pretty simple if you think about it.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

An ID would work as collateral Dave!!! I’m guessing the collateral is a piece of mind so they come back. Not for the seller to keep, pretty simple if you think about it.

Not the definition of collateral.
    something pledged as security for repayment of a loan, to be forfeited in the event of a default.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Not the definition of collateral.
    something pledged as security for repayment of a loan, to be forfeited in the event of a default.

I’m going to guess you understand the point and have to be 100 percent correct, but I’m guessing it’s to keep the party coming back. waytogo

deertracker

I always just say, “if your going to steal it, make sure no one finds it.” waytogo
    DT

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I’m going to guess you understand the point and have to be 100 percent correct, but I’m guessing it’s to keep the party coming back.

Nope, all you are getting is a false sense of security.

make sure they leave you with collateral that ensures it gets returned.

It’s not collateral unless it is legally binding. To suggest otherwise, is to mislead the seller with inaccurate information.

CaptainMusky

Dave I think you are arguing over semantics. Collateral vs something meaningful for them to come back for. Their car, their license, their cellphone etc. I have gone on TONS of test rides and dealers without an employee along so your comment that they dont ever allow that is utterly false. Ive bought so many vehicles over the years usually one every couple years and I can only remember 1 time when a salesperson went on a test drive with me and that was when I picked up the truck I ordered and waited 13 months to get just so he could go through all the features and configure my phone, Onstar, etc. Which was all AFTER I had finished the paperwork buying the truck. I test drove one just a month or so before my truck came in and the salesman just threw me the keys and off I went.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Pat K wrote:

Huntindave wrote:
    (Yes, surely there can be exceptions.)

I stand by my statement.

And I stand by my life experience that the driving without the salesman is the rule and the salesman riding along is the exception!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s not collateral unless it is legally binding. To suggest otherwise, is to mislead the seller with inaccurate information.
    [/quote]

10 4 sir, I forgot to walk on shells when your around and only use perfect direct answers with Wikipedia definitions waytogo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bigwerm, EVERYONE understands what you mean. Well besides one.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Back to the OP –

How’d the test drive go Fry? Did you have a lawyer present to make sure all aspects of having a buyer look at your car were covered?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.