US Post Office Issues

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>James Holst wrote:</div>
    Here’s the best USPS story about lost mail I can share. This check was delivered to my office on 5/25/2021.

Probably should not show the guy’s check routing number and account number on a web forum.

I was also thinking this.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

Do we really need mail 6 days/week? If anything give them the weekend off like other federal agencies. We do not need mail on Saturdays.

Yes we do need mail 6 days a week! Just one day off (Sunday) doubles the mail count on Monday. My wife is a rural mail carrier and she hates Mondays as all carriers that I know do. It adds a minimum of 2-3 hrs to her day. So with 3 days worth of mail she wouldn’t be able to handle it! As stated above they are short handed. They can’t hire much less retain Subs because of their poor policies.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

because of their poor policies.

So really the poor policies (and lack of workers) are the root of the problem. One of those poor policies is doing it 6 days/week. If they were able to recruit more postal workers and altered their fossilized policies, they wouldn’t HAVE to work 6 days/week. I’m guessing that when there’s a major holiday on a Monday (like Memorial Day, Labor Day, or this year the 4th of July), they were even more so backed up the following Tuesday.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Probably should not show the guy’s check routing number and account number on a web forum.

What if that guy is a complete PIA?

I’m just kidding. That was my bad. I didn’t even think of it. I’ve fixed the issue. I’m always up for a good practical joke at Chad’s expense but I don’t need opening the door to bank fraud on my resume.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

A lady I’m friends with on FB just posted that her mailman has been sick for a week (lives in River Falls). They don’t have anyone to fill in for him so they get no mail. She said she went to post office to pick it up and they won’t give it to her.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

If they’d quit delivering junk mail they could free up a lot of capacity…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If we don’t get something in the mail, I just stop in at my neighbors on either side of us.. 10 times out of 10 they have it and just waiting for the next delivery (mistake) to bring it over to us.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

That will never happen. They should just charge double for junk mail and they will be in the black in no time.

Dan
    Southeast MN

It’s only gonna get worse in an election year…

Reef W

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rjthehunter wrote:</div>

That will never happen. They should just charge double for junk mail and they will be in the black in no time.

Bulk mail is presorted by the sender so it’s the easiest thing for them. If they are driving down the street and stopping at each box anyways the more things they get paid to put in the better. They’d lose a lot more without it, declining volumes is one of their issues, but I’d still be all for getting rid of bulk mail. We’d just have to accept that for a desired level of service at a desired end-user cost the USPS “costs” money rather than “loses” money.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It seems to be that time of year again when my mail delivery is inconsistent. Or it comes at 9pm.

Can’t be weather related anymore either because there isn’t a mountain of snow to deal with. Too many holiday package deliveries and not enough workers still.

60 – 80 hour work weeks with no days off? Sheesh.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2023/12/14/minnesota-postal-carriers-grumble-over-workload-conditions-as-holiday-season

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

You couldn’t pay me enough to work in that field around here whether it be for USPS, UPS, or Fed Ex. Mailboxes are almost obsolete solely due to every person having packages. Many driveways are long, drifted/icy, and the bluff roads are a bear to navigate at times.

My wife sets up automatic shipment of some household stuff + her shopping habits = probably 2-3 packages PER DAY coming to our house. This time of the year all bets are off. I’d say 6-8 a day is fairly normal.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Here’s one for you. It originated in Cannon Falls MN, yesterday it was in Stamford CT. Today it’s in White Plains NY.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0827.png

big_g
    Isle, MN

Need context.. where is the destination ? NE ?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Here’s one for you. It originated in Cannon Falls MN, yesterday it was in Stamford CT. Today it’s in White Plains NY.

I’d guess his place out side east bethel.

ThunderLund78

I had a similar experience last week where it appeared the shipment was going to be on-time and arrived from the regional facility in St Paul to my hometown post-office the night before the last day of the delivery window. But instead of my post office delivering it that next day, it shipped BACK to St Paul for a day and then back to my home town post office the next day and showed up a “workday” late but really 3 days late as the original on-time day was a Saturday. I know they have a monumental Job during the Holidays, but with no profit motive, there’s no real incentive to improve. They’re also critically short on staff at all levels.

Saw a story regarding mis-management of the Bemidji Post Office. Sounds like thousands of packages backlogged and laying around in disarray in their warehouse with no solution or staff to deliver them? Maybe someone closer to the area knows more.

Riverrat

Normally I would complain about my late packages, but with prime, if the USPS delivers late, I get a credit. I had over 60$ in credit this year because my 1 autoship comes 2 days late every month.

Jason

Our mail service is horrible. We only get deliveries 2-3 times per week most weeks. Complaining at the post office hasn’t got us anywhere either.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Need context.. where is the destination ? NE ?

East Bethel MN

BigWerm
    SW Metro

They basically shut down our PO, as they couldn’t staff it and it was overwhelmed. I had a delivery that arrived at the PO on December 1, and it arrived December 7. I rarely order stuff online, and when I do it’s not time sensitive so it doesn’t really bother me.

It is a perfect example of Govt vs Private enterprise though, Govt “business” see huge increase in demand and have never ending problems that they just can’t seem to sort out, and it’s a problem for everyone involved. Private Business see’s a huge jump in demand and there’s speed bumps, but sorted out quickly and considered a huge blessing!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Unrelated but most of my recent Amazon orders have been delayed. No surprise this time of year.

MX1825

The Postal Service needs to charge Amazon, Cabelas, Zappos, etc. a high enough fee to cover costs. They gave all the BIG online shippers a discount to get their business and now they loose money on just about every package. Also heard they lose money on bulk mail. The USPS needs a complete overhaul.

gimp

I lived in a small town (about 25 or 30 people) we had a post office until the post master retired in about sept, then they closed the office. They left a blue box out side for us. About Jan we found out we had a couple late payments after some discussion we came to the conclusion we used the blue box, I went and checked and no one had picked anythin for some time. I called and chewed butt and they got ride of the box. THEY ARE NO LONGER A SERVICE THEY ARE A SYSTEM!!!!

Umy
    South Metro

Yea, USPS Needs a complete overhaul and not just more funding to help.
    Poorly managed.
    Some simple business flaws are quite evident.
    Excuses abound. Services degrade.
    Can’t believe they are still in “business” actually.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I always worry about stuff going through USPS because several times they said that I had go to the office to pick up my package only to be told, “We don’t have it.” or “It was sent back already.”

B-man

Our rural delivery mail lady cornered my wife earlier this fall. She said she won’t be delivering packages this winter to our house because of our long driveway.

Well, winter hasn’t showed up yet and she stopped delivering packages weeks ago, instead leaving a note saying we have to pick them up at the post office (which we did twice in the recent weeks).

We wouldn’t have a problem with this (the post office is only two miles away and near the boys school), but the hours and days open are the problem….

Monday7:30am – 11:30am, 2:00pm – 4:00pm
    Tuesday7:30am – 11:30am, 2:00pm – 4:00pm
    Wednesday7:30am – 11:30am, 2:00pm – 4:00pm
    Thursday7:30am – 11:30am, 2:00pm – 4:00pm
    Friday7:30am – 11:30am, 2:00pm – 4:00pm
    SaturdayClosed
    SundayClosed

This meant that one of us would have to ask to leave work early at least once a week just to have access to our packages.

My wife was getting fed up and called Tuesday to complain.

Turns out they fired that mail carrier on Monday! yay (We were apparently one of many to have complained about her lol)

On Wednesday eight packages that were being held hostage were sitting by the front door when we got home after work.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Update. Chicago now.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0829.png

nord

Maybe we need a new Postmaster General!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.