US Flag flying in the dark.

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Uhh one is a law that is enforced. The other is a code that holds no real authority.

Ummm….. That’s why its called an “analogy”. Analogies help make points. You missed mine. coffee

-J.

eyeguy54

nevermind comment zapped

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Thanks for the interesting dialogue. I fly a flag on my house and after reading this post, will bring it in every evening.

Pete

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

My final word on this. Claiming not to be ignorant sometimes carries alot of responsibility! I have done some research and the proverbial light bulb went on. Researching lights, I was focused on those that attached to the pole and faced upwards. Looking at Amazon I just ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RL4FPK8/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1#
    It is actually quite slick, and I always wondered why my strobes had such a long threaded rod to screw into the top threaded hole of my flagpole. It has become obvious, to allow one to install a light with a hole, you simply run the threaded rod through the hole in the middle of the light with the LEDs facing down and voila, simple attached flag pole light that is simple to install, even I can do it as it takes no more effort than it does to install my strobe.

Admittedly this thread had me biting my tongue, never the less the point was well made and my solution makes me feel better about this. I will have it by the Extravaganza………..so now the real problem is which second flag should I fly, My Packer Flag or my Trump 2020 flag? Either way at least it will be lit!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_27621.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’d say the Trump flag would be a much better choice. At least he’s won something in the last few years jester

slimmer157

To the gentleman that was flying the stars and strips all night last weekend on or near silver flat… thank you! When nature call early in the morning I was able to admire her in the most beautiful moonlight, it made the experience in -28 and a tshirt enjoyable. No disrespect to the other side of thinking it happened before this thread and was amazing

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

For those interested, Mernard’s sells an inexpensive solar garden light. It’ll keep your flag lit easily through the night. Problem solved and yourself, and obviously others, can sleep better at night.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

The Supreme Court ruled this action as free speech. The ruling stands today.

I remember swearing an oath to “support and defend the Constitution of the United States.” It’s that little thing that guarantees free speech. The flag doesn’t do that, it’s just a symbol of a larger idea.

The spirit of the flag code is respect.
    I’ve said the Words while in uniform and handing a folded flag to next of kin. I made damn sure that the flag itself was carried properly, folded precisely, and presented with dignity. I understand what it represents, I understand respect, and there are definitely times when doing it “right” matters to me.

Most other times, I don’t adhere to a strict, letter of the code way to demonstrate respect. Culture evolves and how we express ourselves changes. I fly my flag at night and when it rains because it makes me feel proud and good. If that’s not okay by you, move along.

RLTW!

Deeds Not Words.

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.