US Flag flying in the dark.

• ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I see the US flag flying at night, unlit, from so many fish houses on Mille Lacs every weekend.

My question to all of you is are the people doing it ignorant of the proper way to display and show respect for the flag, or do they know and not care?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Probably ignorant. Also ignorant of half staff regs too…. (Not just fish houses either!)

-J.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I thought it’s okay to keep a flag up all night if you have lights on it????

Edit. Didn’t see unlit.

TipUpFishOn

I thought it’s okay to keep a flag up all night if you have lights on it????

OP noted that he sees the flags flying, unlit, at night.

Most I’d assume are ignorant.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Does a strobe light count?

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

I see the US flag flying at night, unlit, from so many fish houses on Mille Lacs every weekend.

My question to all of you is are the people doing it ignorant of the proper way to display and show respect for the flag, or do they know and not care?

It’s a matter of what is practical and convenient. Admittedly I raise a 20 foot flag pole with a mount that is held by my front electric jack. On top is a flashing beacon, the top flag is a very nice 4 x 6 American Flag, and the bottom flag shows my NFL colors. I am fully aware of the proper way to show respect to the flag but honestly, it’s not that I don’t care but it for me it serves 2 functions. 1, I think it’s nice thing to display the flag and secondly, it makes finding my house a lot easier in the daytime, especially if friends are going to meet me later, they know my MO. At night the flashing LED beacon is very nice but it doesn’t serve to light the flag. At home I have a Solar light on the top of my flagpole and that works good but not really made for a quick putting up or taking down. I never let the flag touch the ground, honestly it can be a real pain taking it down, especially if we have had some ice forming on the metal as it is a telescopic pole. Honestly I have never had the flag police on Red Lake tell me…………sir, your flag is not lit and I am sorry but I have to insist that you either light it or take it down immediately. I really don’t lose too much sleep over this, I don’t consider myself ignorant, I have a lot more issues to deal with than whether my flag is lit at night. Sorry, I worry more about the guy who’s ignorance is demonstrated by him setting up 50 feet away from me rather than if he is disrespecting the flag to the tee.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Dave Anderson,

Let me ask you a question.

Have you ever served in the Military?

Simple yes or no answer here. The answer is important.

-J.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

While there likely is proper etiquette for flag flying I pretty much ignore it. I keep my flags in good condition. Installing new flags at least once a year, more if they become worn.

I don’t worry about lights although it has been mentioned by my Navy veteran neighbors.

My question is…..is it better to actually fly a flag or worry about not following the proper rules?

This is a country that allows flag burning, don’t talk to me about lights.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

No JJ I have never served. Nor have I disrespected our vets by flying my flag without lights.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Dave Anderson,

Let me ask you a question.

Have you ever served in the Military?

Simple yes or no answer here. The answer is important.

-J.

Nope, remember checking my lottery numbers back in the years just before I graduated in 1973. My father, Uncles did, lost a cousin and a few friends in Nam. Have nephews and nieces in the Middle east today.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I have a lot more issues to deal with than whether my flag is lit at night.

My question is…..is it better to actually fly a flag or worry about not following the proper rules?

If you choose to fly the flag, it’s important to follow the rules.

For a lot of us who have served, it is considered rather disrespectful not to.

Here’s an analogy. You are in a parking lot and see someone pull into the handicap spot, no plate or card to indicate they are disabled. Then they jump out of the parked car and sprint into the store. Basically telling the world “I don’t friggin care about the rules, I’m in a hurry here”.

Will I go and say anything to that person? Probably not.

Will I think to myself “Hey, that guy is a …..”

-J.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Duly noted.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

So you are saying it’s better to not fly a flag at all then to fly a flag in support of your country even if it’s not 100% to the rules? I don’t think that is a very good analogy either. But you can have any opinion that you want and so can everyone else.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That’s what I was wondering. I guess I’ll not bother getting a flag like I wanted for the front.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

So you are saying it’s better to not fly a flag at all then to fly a flag in support of your country even if it’s not 100% to the rules?

Yes.

-J.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Do I need to be searching for a new avatar or is it ok?

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

If you choose to fly the flag, it’s important to follow the rules.

Here’s an analogy. You are in a parking lot and see someone pull into the handicap spot, no plate or card to indicate they are disabled. Then they jump out of the parked car and sprint into the store. Basically telling the world “I don’t friggin care about the rules, I’m in a hurry here”.

Will I go and say anything to that person? Probably not.

Will I think to myself “Hey, that guy is a …..”

-J.
    [/quote]
    Jon, I understand your viewpoint. Interesting at Red this week, bought a bunch of stuff that the profits went to the veterans home in Sauk Center. Some of these guys were in the same area that I was and believe it or not came up and thank me for flying the flag as they know what a hassle it can be, especially in below zero temperatures. It certainly would be easier to just skip it and not upset someone. I think of my dad and my serving relatives when I put it up. Did they think to themselves “here this guy just spent $100 helping our veterans cause but what an … …. for not lighting his flag at night. He seems to have his heart in the right place but damn” I don’t know, maybe. Maybe they know you. That’s OK, I am fine with it. Drive around the Cities at night and see all of the flags that do not follow the rules. It is pretty amazing, yet trust me, I am not ignorant as the original poster suggested guys like me must be. I simply responded, I know the rules, and no, I do not park in handicap spots either. I need a permit to do that legally. I don’t need a permit to fly the Stars and Stripes. Actually, in your mind I probably do something worse than not lighting it at night, my second flag is a Packer flag.

BTW, I do enjoy your posts.

Franny
    Empire, MN

I was in the Army and have no problem with him flying his flag at night unlit. I do have a problem with a Packer flag on Red Lake.

eyeguy54

I served, I have a small flag on the front of my house, I never have lights on it at night. People standing for the national anthem not putting hand over heart bugs me a little but no lights on the flag at night doesnt. Its flag etiquette, not flag laws. I say FLy The Flag, 24 hours a day. Went to an event on red with 35 vets and the flags on the ice castles were not lit up at night. didnt hear a single complaint.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

There are reasons for the rules. If you are flying a flag to show that you love the country that is great. But if you are flying it in the dark and it is unlit, it is not different than spitting on it.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I agree with eyeguy and disagree with ptc.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I guess the Army issued some of us thicker skin than others.

eyeguy54

ptc, that was uncalled for.

eyeguy54

flying 24 hours a day

Attachments:
    1. flag.jpg

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dustin Gesinger wrote:</div>
    So you are saying it’s better to not fly a flag at all then to fly a flag in support of your country even if it’s not 100% to the rules?

Yes.

-J.

James,
    If in your position as Keymaster here on IDO, your comment reflects the philosophy of James’ site, then do me a favor. Log me out, change my password, and throw away the key. I don’t need to visit here.

HRG

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dustin Gesinger wrote:</div>

Yes.

-J.

James,
    If in your position as Keymaster here on IDO, your comment reflects the philosophy of James’ site, then do me a favor. Log me out, change my password, and throw away the key. I don’t need to visit here.

HRG

I think you mean Jon and not James. James hasn’t weighed in here yet.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.