So….Kooty……

• lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Would have loved to seen it in real time speed first and then the slow-mo. Give someone an idea of how fast it really happens.

Since I have only converted one fish on the figure 8, I will explain what I experienced.

Setting:
    Fishing the break of a a hump, boat positioned in 16′ of water, post turnover on an early November day. Water is ultra clear and I was throwing a Crankbait. In a short afternoon window we moved 4 or 5 fish, air temps were about 60 or unseasonably warm.

Action Sequence:
    Upon finishing a retrieve and doing a figure 8 I caught glimpse of a muskie in my peripheral vision going away from the boat. I proceeded to figure 8 but after the first turn did not get a reaction. At this time the fish was starting to sit lower in the water column, remember I am in 16 of ultra clear water. The next time around on the figure 8 I dropped to a knee and stuck the rod deep into the water. This pulled her back to me around the first turn she opened her mouth. I’ll never forget how bright white the inside of her mouth looked compared to the rest of the body, but she only nipped and missed the bait. Made another turn got her back on track and she ate in in the straight. I immediately went into free spool seeing only the rear of three trebles in her mouth. Short battle and I had landed my first Figure 8 muskie. Not a giant, but a 38″ fish. A confidence builder. This was a year ago and I have not converted another, but that was probably the coolest fishing experience I have ever had while fishing.

Back to Reality:
    Fifteens minutes after the fish I landed I had another muskie going on the exact same spot. Same scenario of the fish coming in, but this fish would not commit. I went around about 16 times on the figure 8 and she came in three times but would not commit. Same technique, same lure, different fish ending with different results.

I fish heavily pressured metro lakes usually during light with relatively clear water. Therefore most of my follows get 20 feet from the boat and end in the famous tail wave of bye-bye. I used to get frustrated, but now I get almost just as much excitement when seeing them. Indicates I am doing something right and I have located them, maybe just not the right menu choice.

Muskies

timmy

In the midst of all the big buck excitement this past week, did you happen to notice any lion tail birds? What’s it looking like in that area for us pheasant chasers?

T

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

There are birds around, but just not like in the past. It’s been so cruddy weather wise the last two days, not sure I can answer this one just yet. It’s going to be a tough fall from what I’ve seen and what others/locals are saying. I’m hoping we don’t have the winter they are predicting. The birds need to catch a break. Here at Dad’s we have quite a few young roosters who are just turning colors. Now that the sun is shining, maybe I’ll see a few more birds out and about in the country.

tdhowen

Hey Kooty waiting to here a report from you on the birds. Still undecided if I’m going out this year. I need surgery on my achillies tendon Nov 8th. I would only be able to block this year if I go. We stay Plankinton.

kooty
    Keymaster

Went for a drive last night during the witching hour. Saw a lot of birds. Most roosters are just turning colors along with a fair amount of small clutches that will have to hustle to survive winter. With 95% + of all the crops in the fields and the unbelievably good grass we have this year, it’s too early to call, but I think my tiny little survey area has a fair number of birds.

tdhowen

Thanks Kooty It might help me make my mind up to go this year. Been going for over 20 years.

kooty
    Keymaster

There is no doubt the birds are down but the reality is there is no where on earth that offers pheasant hunting like SD.

timmy

Quote:

There is no doubt the birds are down but the reality is there is no where on earth that offers pheasant hunting like SD.

Good point. Thanks for the updates!

joef
    La Crosse, WI

Hoping we have a little sanctuary spot this weekend. Leaving tomorrow night and hunting out by woonsocket.

kooty
    Keymaster

I shot A LOT of birds in the Woony area during the college days. It was great country 20 years ago. I imagine it hasn’t changed much.

joef
    La Crosse, WI

i have been going out there for 15 years or so? not every year, took some years off through college ect. My uncle married into to some very good land out there. I drool when I see the deer out there too. The land sets up just like you see on hunting shows, i’m so used to hunting bluff country and only being able to see a deer if it is inside 50 yards…..too bad out of staters can’t get a buck tag in that county

joef
    La Crosse, WI

Also, it is still fantastic hunting

kooty
    Keymaster

Ya, it’s quite a change for me getting in a stand up north. Hate when I can’t see a couple miles. Good luck out there!

kooty
    Keymaster

A few reports came in yesterday. With the rain last week, harvest has been put on hold. Numbers were average. One group was done with their 9 birds in 40 minutes. Another group only got 5 of the 12 they needed. Seems pretty standard for the amount of cover yet this year.

timmy

Thanks for the update!!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My buddy said that it was the worst hunting he’s ever seen where they hunt in western SD. I usually get pics of piles of birds; he said he only saw 10 roosters on Saturday. I haven’t gotten a Sunday report yet.

kooty
    Keymaster

If he hunts anywhere near where the blizzard hit on Oct 3rd, I can certainly believe it. That storm wiped out 1000’s of cattle.

joef
    La Crosse, WI

Birds were definitely down and hunting was tough. Our group got 11 Saturday and 9 Sunday in about 3 hours.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Anyone heard anything from the Watertown area? I’m heading out there Sun morning

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.