Pheasants 11/18

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

With temps hovering in the low 20s and snow flurries in the air, we headed to West-Central MN yesterday morning in hopes of finding a few pheasants for dinner. I like to start walking right at 9 AM so we headed out early to scout some new spots before shooting time. The first couple spots we checked were a bust as they were heavily wooded and had numerous deer hunters posted around the area. The third spot looked like a good mix of light grass, cattails, thick willows, and a food plot nearby. After the rooster flushed out of the ditch and flew into the cattails, we knew it was game on. It was cold out there, so we headed right toward the most promising cover first. It didn’t take long and we had 2 birds up and in the bag. We walked the rest of the ground and flushed a couple hens. For our second spot, we picked an area with thick cover so we could get out of the wind. The birds must have had the same idea because we were flushing birds, but unfortunately in the thick cover it was almost impossible to get shots at them. A few roosters presented shots and we were able to connect on a couple of them to finish out our limit for the day. The ducks and geese were definitely on the move yesterday as well. We saw mallards, honkers, snow geese, and swans in huge numbers making the push south.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Sounds like a good day!

corey_waller
    hastings mn

cant wait to get back out there

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Great Job, Fife! I need to get back out there soon.

re-tired
    wi

Nice work Dan. I will be getting out pheasant hunting with Max for the first time in a couple years (archery season keeps getting in the way) so I took a couple hours on Sunday to get him warmed up by chasing some grouse. We managed one and would have had another but instead of a good high flush he took off running and flew low in front of the dog and I didn’t have a clean shot without shooting to close to Max.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Nice job Dan and congrats on your hunt!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.