When & Where

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve got a day or two of vacation left to burn this year. I’m looking for a few suggestions on when and where to take a little day jaunt to chase some ringnecks. I will be staying in MN and hunting public land, but other than that, I’m open to pretty much anything. So, where would you go (specifics not necessary–just an area)? And when, now, or later in the season? Keep in mind, I will be hunting dogless.

Thanks!
    Ryan

marsh_monster
    Metro

Montevideo area has been good in the past…not sure about the count now since I havent been there in about 4yrs. Lots of places to stay and plenty of public ground within 45mins and Im sure you could knock on some doors!

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Marshall area. I might head over that way sometime after gun season for one more run. Let me know if you wanna meet up and chase em together.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Are you hunting alone? I didnt think you had a bird dog?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Correct. That’s why is said “dogless”

timmy

In all seriousness, hunting pheasant without a dog is long shot at best IMO. If that were my only option, I would either:

1)line up a partner that has a dog, OR,

2)Make the run to SoDak and walk ditches, OR,

3)Ditch the pheasant and drive north to hunt grouse….OR,

4)Save the vacation for ice fishing or family time.

Probably not the answers you wanted, but I think they are relatively accurate.

T

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

As Steve Martin would say. “Well excuuuuuuuuse meeeeeee.”

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Someone’s got to keep you in line!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As Steve Martin would say. “Well excuuuuuuuuse meeeeeee.”

I’m gonna tell my wife you said that. She will laugh then likely want to know your secret….

johnee

I would focus on finding public ground that is small or focus on confined features on larger areas.

Also, as you go later in the year, it can be excellent hunting once you can walk on the ice to get into the really heavy cover on cattail sloughs. Extreme caution must be used and NEVER hunt alone on the ice as a fall-through could turn deadly very easily.

And yes, I’ve been that guy that fell through, albeit “only” up to just over the gonadular region. Which I can assure you is plenty far enough on a 20 degree day with a stiff breeze.

Grouse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.