Gloves

• phishirman
    Madison, WI

man, for 21.75 a gallon its almost worth the drive up from Madison!!

SkeeterBoats

Eric. I can bring the paper work with for an 1880???

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

What do you guys wear for gloves when it gets a little colder? They’ve got to be thin enough to shoot with but warm enough for a warm-blooded sissy boy.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I’m interested in the replies here too. I’ve got raynaud’s and this time of year my hands tend to just become purple and not work well Obviously not helpful for fall fishing and hunting.

I just purchased a pair from Cabelas that are designed for water fowling, 40g thinsulate. They’re not bulky and have a good fit.

I shot birds over the weekend with them on and didn’t feel hindered at all.

We’ll see how they last or how they are once it starts to get real cold.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Depending on how cold it is I either wear a very light liner glove inside a set of loose choppermits with large hand warmers. Or when it’s warmer, I wear nothing on my trigger hand and a light liner glove on the other and I use a hand muff with two big hand warmers. It may sound crazy but I can get the loose chopper off in no time. Most of the time, if I hang my arm straight down the glove will fall off. The choppers I use look like this

http://go-armynavy.com/index.php/cold-weather-clothing/mittens-and-gloves/u.s.-military-n-3b-arctic-mittens.html

or this when it is rain/sleet/snow. These things are bulletproof when it comes to wear and tear. I bought some a few years ago on line but I seen them at Walmart last year.

http://www.jokaglovesuk.com/jokatherm.php

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Nothing but jersey for me. I moisten the palms with frost or spit sometimes for a better grip. I can feel things through simple jersey gloves that I cannot through leather or denser material.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I use rag wool gloves that the top part folds back so my fingers are out, U also gave a pair of seal skin gloves a shot but just weren’t warm enough

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

I wear the convertible bow hunter gloves where the end flips up. You can poke a finder out to pull the trigger. Some have a place for hand warmers, or get toe warmers with the adhesive to put in the mitten part. Hop on Fleet Farm.com and you will see them. Also called pop-top.
    Nut

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

Depending on how cold it is I either wear a very light liner glove inside a set of loose choppermits with large hand warmers. Or when it’s warmer, I wear nothing on my trigger hand and a light liner glove on the other and I use a hand muff with two big hand warmers. It may sound crazy but I can get the loose chopper off in no time. Most of the time, if I hang my arm straight down the glove will fall off. The choppers I use look like this[

Same thing I do. Those light / tight liners work great – You can buy them with rubber grip pads on the palm amd fingers – Warm enough by themself if not out in the cold temps for long. I tuck my hands with the liners on inside a muff I add handwarmers when real cold.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

http://www.ytgloves.com/products.asp?productId=265&categoryId=40&subCategoryId=0&subCategory2Id=0

Kinda long link…but I bought a couple pairs of these Youngstown Winter Waterproof gloves 3 years ago at Northern Tool since they were on close out. I am really glad I did for a few reasons. They are light but warm, have good grip in the palm, they’re waterproof and fit well enough to quite good dexterity. The biggest suprise though….I am still on the first pair and I use them, waterfowl hunting, snowblowing the driveway, snowmobiling, ice fishing and just everyday wearing pretty much all winter. They have held up amazingly well.

I have not tried pistol shooting with them but they work fine shotgunning.

gobbler
    Central, MN

I go with a very light pair of gloves and Hand “Muff” Warmer. If you don’t use a Hand Muff while hunting, you are missing out.
    See one here: http://www.onyxoutdoor.com/product/0/K530BLK/_/ArcticShield_Classic_Hand_Warmer

If you are dead set on gloves, check out this selection:
    http://www.onyxoutdoor.com/products/393090/Gloves_and_Glomitts

Just a reminder, I have promo codes for IDO members to save up to 50% off of on-line orders.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

If you don’t use a Hand Muff while hunting, you are missing out.

That might be great for stationary hunting, but I can’t imagine how you’d carry a gun pheasant hunting with your hands in a muff (okay, that sounded horrible).

kevin_sahly
    maple grove,mn

hand muff all the time! put a couple hand warmers in it and your set. I use it for all different hunting and late fall/winter fishing. Even when fishing I simply rotate my hands in/out of it while holding rod/line in the other. About the only time I wear gloves is snow blowing & on snowmobile. I hate wearing gloves.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

If you don’t use a Hand Muff while hunting, you are missing out.

That might be great for stationary hunting, but I can’t imagine how you’d carry a gun pheasant hunting with your hands in a muff (okay, that sounded horrible).

Exactly. I have used a muff stand hunting for many many years and agree there is nothing better. But has virtualy no application for bird hunting.

lawdog7

the muffs are fantastic I agree 100% although i do also use a very thin set of gloves bought from wal mart for $3. that with the muff is ideal for me.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I agree that muffs are great for stationary hunting. While roaming through woods or the field, I find I’m satisfied with the cheap “magic gloves” that you can find at Target, Cub, Walgreens, etc. They’re thin so they don’t mess with gun handling, but warm enough to keep my hands warm enough. I have also accepted that my hands will always get at least a little cold when I’m out hunting.

Now that I think about it, I’m not certain they make the “magic gloves” in men’s sizes, so this might not be that helpful.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Nothing but jersey for me. I moisten the palms with frost or spit sometimes for a better grip. I can feel things through simple jersey gloves that I cannot through leather or denser material.

X2

I have dozens of pairs between the house, truck, icefishing stuff and my hunting vest.

I do carry a 1 or 2 pair in my vest. My hands do tend to get wet along the way.

johnee

Cabelas has several models of Gore-tex hunting gloves and all feature a leather trigger finger that is slim enough to easily fit through the trigger guard.

I don’t remember which model I have, I’ve had about 3 pairs of these over the years and they’ve all been good as long as I’m moving as you will be when pheasant hunting.

Hunting from a stand in temps below 20 is a different matter. I use the US Army surplus trigger finger mittens, but the downside is that the outer mitts are cotton, so they can get wet and they hold the water.

Also, they are army green, which is not my preferred color for winter hunting. If anyone knows where I can get a pair of snow camo surplus mitts, pls let me know.

Grouse

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I picked up a pair of Under Armour liner gloves and ended up wearing them by themselves. I wouldn’t recommend them in extreme cold conditions but with temps like we are experiencing right now they are perfect for me. They are lightweight and you have no problems with dexterity.

Under Armour Gloves

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Buckshot, I like the look of those Youngstown gloves. Might have to find me a pair.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I wear leather shooting gloves everytime out. When it gets really cold, I wear a thicker glove on my non-trigger hand. I also put a hand warmer in the pocket on my right side to put my trigger hand in while we are walking between drives. The last pair I bought were from Fleet Farm. I’m not sure of the brand, but they say Deerskin on the palm. They are holding up well so far.

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

When I shoot trap in cold weather I use a runners glove called Mozilla. It is a thin knit glove with grippies in the palm. Then I put my leather shooting gloves over them. Pretty comfy in cold weather. Not to bulky and a good gun feel.

Gundy

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Under Armour makes a couple styles of really nice, really thin gloves with a textured palm for grip. I love them.
    A cheaper alternative is a latex dipped string knit glove. Light, grippy, and inexpensive.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I ordered a pair of the Youngstown Waterproof Winter Plus gloves that Buckshot mentioned (about $25 off Amazon). They are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I’ll let you know how I like them.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Well, I got my Youngstowns yesterday. Initial thoughts: They are a little bulkier than I envisioned, but in reality, I guess they’re really not too bulky. They seem well-made. They grip well. They’re a little stiff right now, but I imagine that will improve as I break them in. I wore them to walk the dog this morning, and they are quite warm. I really like the terry cloth back on the thumb–it’s great for softly wiping a drippy nose! I didn’t pull out a shotgun to see how that will work out, but I will soon.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Well, the Youngstowns aren’t going to work for me when hunting. I have the problem of having bear paws for hands. They’re big, but my fingers are relatively short. So, in order to get gloves that fit, the fingers usually end up being a little long, and that extra bulk makes getting my trigger finger in the trigger guard tough.

clicker

For anyone that is warm blooded and doesn’t get cold easily like myself. I find that bow hunting gloves do the trick for me. Light weight, thin, with little insulation.

The biggest factor with me for getting cold is the wind. Typically I can have my bare hands out for an hour or two in the dead of winter with out getting cold. I find these bow hunting gloves cut the wind a little bit and keep my hands semi warm. Sometimes I will put a thicker glove on my forearm hand and keep the trigger hand with a thin glove.

I am curious how the rest of your review comes on these gloves. They do not look bulky. Can you compare them to something that you consider bulky? Bulky like leather work gloves? no bigger then mechanic gloves?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I am curious how the rest of your review comes on these gloves. They do not look bulky. Can you compare them to something that you consider bulky? Bulky like leather work gloves? no bigger then mechanic gloves?

Bulky is probably the wrong word. They’re not a bulky glove. A little bulkier than a mechanic glove due to the insulation, but less bulky than pretty much all the insulated gloves I have ever seen. I think they’d work well for shooting if I had longer fingers or the glove fingers were shorter. The extra, unfilled tip of the glove finger just causes problems with getting my finger on the trigger quickly and cleanly. Genetics, though…what are you going to do?

clicker

Might be worth the few bucks to have someone cut the tip off and shorten the shooting finger. Or just cut the tip off, sacrifice a finger tip for easy shooting

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Might be worth the few bucks to have someone cut the tip off and shorten the shooting finger. Or just cut the tip off, sacrifice a finger tip for easy shooting

I am toying with that idea.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.