Maggie’s first Rooster

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

First wild Rooster for Maggie over the weekend. Hunting some heavily pressured public land right next to my house, she gave me a nice 15yard flush. At 8months old, she’s done a little work at the game farm but it’s great to get a wild bird under the belt.

Not sure who was more proud, the dog or myself

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Congrats. At 8 months, I’d say she is off to a very good start.

Sharon
    SE Metro

She’s so cute! Way to go Maggie!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Awesome news Pete. There is only one first!

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

#2 tonight!!

What an awesome after work hunt resulting in Maggie’s 2nd wild rooster. Old timers in the lot leaving said don’t bother hunting, no birds out there. Guess they missed one – 24.5”+ tail feathers! Sorry if I seem so pumped, just such an awesome feeling getting a bird so close to home and seeing all the hard work and training pay off. Very very proud of our 8mo old hunting machine… if you can’t tell

kooty
    Keymaster

That’s passion Pete! I love it!

clarkj8

Congrats its a great watching all your hard work and time pay off like that. Good looking pup too.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Sorry if I seem so pumped…

Don’t apologize. That is awesome!!! The hard work is paying off. Good job.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Thanks guys – Hunted yesterday with a couple buddy’s and aside from some retrieving work needed, she’s been doing great.

She’s been the only thing that’s pulled me away from a fall river walleye bite to go in the field.

Headed to South Dakota on Wednesday!

kooty
    Keymaster

What area you hunting Pete? Good luck out there. I’ll be out there in a week.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Give me a shout if you ever need a extra gun. I’d love to tag along.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Give me a shout if you ever need a extra gun. I’d love to tag along.

Will do!

Kooty – It’s in the Aberdeen area. I’m just tagging along with some friends.

We took the last few days off to let her pretty raw nose heal up.

Excited to get back at it!

kooty
    Keymaster

From what I’ve red, the numbers are up in all areas, but still below our 10 year average. It’s still fun no matter what when you get to watch a pup “get it”. Good luck, let us know how you do.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Figured I’d give an update on how Maggie did in South Dakota. Overall she did fantastic! So pumped with how well she’s progressed. She’s getting much better at watching the birds fall and the retrieve. She hunted 6-7hrs/day for 5 days and showed no sign of wanting to slow down.

The first day she would run to the bird but not retrieve (similar to the retrieving problems I was having here at home). By day 5, she was not only retrieving dead birds but chasing down runners and finding those birds that fell in the real tall grass. It sure seems like she understands the program and what we’re out to do. I’m also much more proficient at seeing when she’s hot/birdy or just working an area.

Pheasant hunting is so much more fun with a dog. I enjoy working and watching her learn as much if not more than actually shooting at the birds.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Pheasant hunting is so much more fun with a dog. I enjoy working and watching her learn as much if not more than actually shooting at the birds.

I need to convince my wife of this. Unfortunately, I don’t see it happening for a couple five years for me.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My take is pheasant hunting isnt worth while without a dog. Unless you are in an area flush with birds you rarely even flush them purposely without help from a dog. That’s my main motivation. That and finding them once down.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.