Pheasant Loads

• putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I’ve been out to my folk’s farm in western Minnesota pheasant hunting both on opener and this weekend. I shot 11 pheasants the first weekend and 5 this weekend (party hunting of course). I’m not trying to brag (??) but the first weekend I was shooting a $10 box of Federal #5’s and this weekend I was shooting a $4 box of Federal number 5’s. The first weekend the dogs were picking up dead birds for me and this weekend we spent a lot of time chasing wounded birds around. The wind and snow made birds spooky this weekend but I believe if I were shooting the higher speed shells, we would not have had as many problems.

Our pheasants seem to come from many generations of runners and shots from less than 40 yards are rare especially with the winds that are prevalent out there.

Bottom line is no more more cheap loads for me. What do you guys use for the longer shots?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hi putz, I think i can put in some imput on this one. I had the very same problem and it started getting expensive buying heavier loads. I got ahold of a guy i knew at the local sports shop and told him the problem. He said he could do something for me and got out the recipe book for making my own loads. I had to buy a reloader, mines a mec and it servers the purpose well and i bought a cheaper one. He gave me a recipe for some very effective and hot loads. Heres the recipe for a 12 gauge load thats more than enough for dead birds at 50 yrds. I never clean the bb’s from my birds, they go straight through with a 2-3/4″ casing not a 3”, don’t need them!. I use a 2-3/4″ 12 gauge casing, 1-1/2 ounces of no. 4 chilled shot, One double a red wad, 36-1/3 grains of hs7 powder. I use no.4 chilled shot because it holds a pattern better and an ounce and a half of it because at 50 yrds i need enough bb’s in my pattern for a clean kill. I use no. 4 shot because its heavy and goes straight through the birds. At 35 yrds i can see the birds move sideways when the bb’s hit from the impact. These are good duck loads too. I got tired of loosing birds on a going away shot and hiting it from behind, this is the hardest shot to kill a bird,,, i lost enough birds. I took them to the field and they hit like a truck, they don’t tear up the meat at a closer range, even with a full choke like i shoot and you have time to take better aim because of thier range of killing power, i can let them get out farther, a more confident kill. I load them for close to 15 cents a piece, thats under $4.00 a box for atleast $12.00 a box loads if i had to guy them. I like them because its not expensive to load them plus i can shoot all i want without thinking about how much money im spending on store bought loads. If you shoot 3″ shells and get a recipe they will be very very effective, but you have to get a recipe for that size casing. If you want better loads at 1/3 the cost of store bought loads buy a reloader, its worth it. Hope this will help

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hi putz, I think i can put in some imput on this one. I had the very same problem and it started getting expensive buying heavier loads. I got ahold of a guy i knew at the local sports shop and told him the problem. He said he could do something for me and got out the recipe book for making my own loads. I had to buy a reloader, mines a mec and it servers the purpose well and i bought a cheaper one. He gave me a recipe for some very effective and hot loads. Heres the recipe for a 12 gauge load thats more than enough for dead birds at 50 yrds. I never clean the bb’s from my birds, they go straight through with a 2-3/4″ casing not a 3”, don’t need them!. I use a 2-3/4″ 12 gauge casing, 1-1/2 ounces of no. 4 chilled shot, One double a red wad, 36-1/3 grains of hs7 powder. I use no.4 chilled shot because it holds a pattern better and an ounce and a half of it because at 50 yrds i need enough bb’s in my pattern for a clean kill. I use no. 4 shot because its heavy and goes straight through the birds. At 35 yrds i can see the birds move sideways when the bb’s hit from the impact. These are good duck loads too. I got tired of loosing birds on a going away shot and hiting it from behind, this is the hardest shot to kill a bird,,, i lost enough birds. I took them to the field and they hit like a truck, they don’t tear up the meat at a closer range, even with a full choke like i shoot and you have time to take better aim because of thier range of killing power, i can let them get out farther, a more confident kill. I load them for close to 15 cents a piece, thats under $4.00 a box for atleast $12.00 a box loads if i had to guy them. I like them because its not expensive to load them plus i can shoot all i want without thinking about how much money im spending on store bought loads. If you shoot 3″ shells and get a recipe they will be very very effective, but you have to get a recipe for that size casing. If you want better loads at 1/3 the cost of store bought loads buy a reloader, its worth it. Hope this will help

Jira

I’m with you mossydan.. while I don’t load my own shells, I run “Winchester Xpert” hi-velocity steel shotshells — 2 3/4’s with no. 4 steel shot for upland hunting. Like mossydan says they are $11-$12/box but I think the money (if you’re not loading your own) is worth it. I’ve found similar advantages to these loads including:

1. They cleanly smoke right though the birds even at a distance.
    2. Of the 10 birds on Saturday my dog only had 2 flapping on the way in which I like because it’s safer for him and it cuts down on the mouthing which preserves the bird.
    3. When I cleaned the birds, I found no BB’s which is good for the dinner table.

My 2 cents,

J

Jira

I’m with you mossydan.. while I don’t load my own shells, I run “Winchester Xpert” hi-velocity steel shotshells — 2 3/4’s with no. 4 steel shot for upland hunting. Like mossydan says they are $11-$12/box but I think the money (if you’re not loading your own) is worth it. I’ve found similar advantages to these loads including:

1. They cleanly smoke right though the birds even at a distance.
    2. Of the 10 birds on Saturday my dog only had 2 flapping on the way in which I like because it’s safer for him and it cuts down on the mouthing which preserves the bird.
    3. When I cleaned the birds, I found no BB’s which is good for the dinner table.

My 2 cents,

J

Brian Lyons

Reloading is a Great hobby and a great way to get the loads that perform the best in your gun.

But let us be safe and sensible!
    Don’t reload without a powder scale.
    Don’t reload with any recipe other than one published by the manufacturer.
    Remember there are differences in hulls, all 12 ga. 2 3/4 hulls are not created equal.
    Different primers produce different velocities.
    These are just a few things to be mindfull of,all component manufacturers publish reloading data. Most companys have websites. Get the data and follow it! To the letter!!!!

Brian Lyons

Reloading is a Great hobby and a great way to get the loads that perform the best in your gun.

But let us be safe and sensible!
    Don’t reload without a powder scale.
    Don’t reload with any recipe other than one published by the manufacturer.
    Remember there are differences in hulls, all 12 ga. 2 3/4 hulls are not created equal.
    Different primers produce different velocities.
    These are just a few things to be mindfull of,all component manufacturers publish reloading data. Most companys have websites. Get the data and follow it! To the letter!!!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thanks Big B, I totally agree, This formula was out of the powder and shot charts. I use a feocci 209 primer also. Also use the right powder die and shot hole for your charge bar, everything has to be right or its dangerous. Its fun, its safe and it saves alot of money if your an active shooter. It’ll pay for itself in a year to two years of money saved with alot more saved birds in your freezer.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thanks Big B, I totally agree, This formula was out of the powder and shot charts. I use a feocci 209 primer also. Also use the right powder die and shot hole for your charge bar, everything has to be right or its dangerous. Its fun, its safe and it saves alot of money if your an active shooter. It’ll pay for itself in a year to two years of money saved with alot more saved birds in your freezer.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

I use to use the heavy stuff also but since I started hunting with a couple of buddies they switched me to 7 1/2s ounce and a 1/4 loads. Granted they are usually over dogs and not very long but you would be surprised at the range we have killed some birds. You put more shot in the air. I use to keep using 5&4s but the real truth was I was just plain missing. Now I shoot more clays during the summer and it helps.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

I use to use the heavy stuff also but since I started hunting with a couple of buddies they switched me to 7 1/2s ounce and a 1/4 loads. Granted they are usually over dogs and not very long but you would be surprised at the range we have killed some birds. You put more shot in the air. I use to keep using 5&4s but the real truth was I was just plain missing. Now I shoot more clays during the summer and it helps.

bassguy
    MANKATO

THE BEST SHELLS I HAVE USED FOR LONG RANGE PHEASANTS ARE REMINGTON NITRO MAGS IN 6 SHOT.
    A CLOSE SECOND IS REMINGTON LONG RANGE EXPRESS IN 5 SHOT. THESE SHELLS HAVE THE HIGHEST BRASS I’VE SEEN AND THEY HAVE TIGHT PATTERNS AT LONGER DISTANCES.

bassguy
    MANKATO

THE BEST SHELLS I HAVE USED FOR LONG RANGE PHEASANTS ARE REMINGTON NITRO MAGS IN 6 SHOT.
    A CLOSE SECOND IS REMINGTON LONG RANGE EXPRESS IN 5 SHOT. THESE SHELLS HAVE THE HIGHEST BRASS I’VE SEEN AND THEY HAVE TIGHT PATTERNS AT LONGER DISTANCES.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I couldn’t agree more Riggy… Remington Nitro Mags #6 fired with a modified choke…. later in the season I may switch to #4 Nitro’s…. and if I am quail hunting I use Nitro Mag #7 1/2…. only thing they are getting harder to find…. here in Cedar Falls the only place you can get them is at Blains Farm and Fleet and they don’t even carry as many as they use too…. I am curious as how well the new Hi Vis loads are doing… I bought some Hi Vis steel loads for public hunting that I am going to try in a couple of weeks.
    bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I couldn’t agree more Riggy… Remington Nitro Mags #6 fired with a modified choke…. later in the season I may switch to #4 Nitro’s…. and if I am quail hunting I use Nitro Mag #7 1/2…. only thing they are getting harder to find…. here in Cedar Falls the only place you can get them is at Blains Farm and Fleet and they don’t even carry as many as they use too…. I am curious as how well the new Hi Vis loads are doing… I bought some Hi Vis steel loads for public hunting that I am going to try in a couple of weeks.
    bird

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Thanks for the input guys. I believe the Remington Nitros was what I was shooting the first weekend and some of shots were 50 yards plus. The shells had the long brass so I will buy some more of them. I have a friend that reloads but he likes to give it a little extra so I don’t think I will go there. Deer hunting is next so the next time I hit pheasants will probebly be in the crunchy snow where shots are long and I’ll need all the gusto I can get. I’ll use 5’s because I can’t make up my mind between 4’s and 6’s

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Thanks for the input guys. I believe the Remington Nitros was what I was shooting the first weekend and some of shots were 50 yards plus. The shells had the long brass so I will buy some more of them. I have a friend that reloads but he likes to give it a little extra so I don’t think I will go there. Deer hunting is next so the next time I hit pheasants will probebly be in the crunchy snow where shots are long and I’ll need all the gusto I can get. I’ll use 5’s because I can’t make up my mind between 4’s and 6’s

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I also like the Remington Nitro Mags for the late season but don’t hit them too close with the Nitro’s, otherwise there is not much left of the Pheasant

In the early season I like Remington Premier Pheasant Load, 12 gauge, 2 3/4, #5 shot.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I also like the Remington Nitro Mags for the late season but don’t hit them too close with the Nitro’s, otherwise there is not much left of the Pheasant

In the early season I like Remington Premier Pheasant Load, 12 gauge, 2 3/4, #5 shot.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Here is what I’ve been using for a few years now and love them.Fiocchi 2 3/4,#5 shot,1 3/8oz.These are some great shells with alot of knockdown power.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Here is what I’ve been using for a few years now and love them.Fiocchi 2 3/4,#5 shot,1 3/8oz.These are some great shells with alot of knockdown power.
    Ryan Hale

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Whats nice about having your own loader is you can load lighter or heavier loads for your own needs at that time. If your birds are getting up close than you can make shells for that day. If thier getting up farther out or for ducks or geese you can load shells for those needs, bring a few boxes of each if the days conditions are unknown and for your hunting friends. I’ve never duck or goose hunted but im thinking about trying it. I know it takes bigger shot and heavier shells for geese. I can load whatever im going for and im going to need. Loading with a partner is fun befor the next days hunt.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Whats nice about having your own loader is you can load lighter or heavier loads for your own needs at that time. If your birds are getting up close than you can make shells for that day. If thier getting up farther out or for ducks or geese you can load shells for those needs, bring a few boxes of each if the days conditions are unknown and for your hunting friends. I’ve never duck or goose hunted but im thinking about trying it. I know it takes bigger shot and heavier shells for geese. I can load whatever im going for and im going to need. Loading with a partner is fun befor the next days hunt.

tskib

Everyone remember that guns shoot differently. Just because a certain shell works well in your buddies gun doesn’t mean it will in yours. Pattern your gun with different shells and a piece of paper, shoot lots of clays, try different chokes, and see what works well for you and your gun.

tskib

Everyone remember that guns shoot differently. Just because a certain shell works well in your buddies gun doesn’t mean it will in yours. Pattern your gun with different shells and a piece of paper, shoot lots of clays, try different chokes, and see what works well for you and your gun.

theduck

I have tried the new shells by winchester called super pheasant. They have 1 3\8 shot and have killed birds for me this year up to 50 yards stone dead. I have used 6’s and 5’s. They run about $10 dollars a box.I have not seen a difference in the performance of either. I have been pretty happy with this shell so far this year. I have lost a couple of birds but I think it was do to poor shooting and not any fault of the shell. I could of had 5 ounces of shot and still not have got the bird.

theduck

I have tried the new shells by winchester called super pheasant. They have 1 3\8 shot and have killed birds for me this year up to 50 yards stone dead. I have used 6’s and 5’s. They run about $10 dollars a box.I have not seen a difference in the performance of either. I have been pretty happy with this shell so far this year. I have lost a couple of birds but I think it was do to poor shooting and not any fault of the shell. I could of had 5 ounces of shot and still not have got the bird.

tgif

I knocked one down 15 yards out with Rem. High Vel. BB’s a couple days ago. I didn’t need a dog to find it. A BB went up the rear all the way to corn bag in front of the breast. I was actually attempting a pass shoot at some geese going to a field too small to decoy. TGIF

tgif

I knocked one down 15 yards out with Rem. High Vel. BB’s a couple days ago. I didn’t need a dog to find it. A BB went up the rear all the way to corn bag in front of the breast. I was actually attempting a pass shoot at some geese going to a field too small to decoy. TGIF

barc
    SE MN

mossydan, I agree with the fun and economy of reloading your own shotgun shells – kind of like catching a fish on a jig you poured, painted and tied. I have not purchased a lead shotshell for hunting in 30 years. An old friend who did alot of reloading set me up back then with the recipe I still use today… same MEC 600 Jr. in use today – AA hulls, #12 charge bar with Unique powder, Remington RP12 wads, 1 3/8 oz. of shot (I like to mix equal parts of 4 & 6 shot)….
    barc

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.