Crappies in the timber

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

After hearing reports of a good Crappie bite going on lately I went out tonight with my buddy Mark Flunker to check out some of our favorite “woody” bays on the Brule backwaters. We had a cold front go through yesterday and I was a little apprehensive of our success.
    Indeed we marked quite a few fish suspended in deeper water 15-20′. We started fishing 1/32 jigs around the deeper timber and worked each tree top thoroughly. The front definitely slowed the bite but we caught a few really nice 10-14″ crappies and a couple bonus 12″ perch. I didn’t run my boat tonite and thats where my camera was…sorry, no pics Anyone else having luck on Crappies?

tom_gursky

Here is a pic of the area (Brule Backwaters) we fished last night. Like all the reserviors in the Upper Peninsula there are no private homes, cottages even piers allowed on the shoreline. Its truly a wild paradise….and only 5 hours north of Chicago

tom_gursky

Oops I’ll try again!

blackfeather44

Tom, why don’t you fish the Menominee, just above the bridge at Norway, below the Piers Gorge, and see if those fat slabs are still using the southern shoreline? I used to catch quite a few there, before I moved back South.

paul17

Hi all,
    I’m glad we’ve got this UP lakes thread ! Ive been dredging a few walleyes out of Iron co. Lks. lately. they have
    been coming out of downed timber on shorelines in 10-12 feet
    of water,also on the deep edge of the cabbage. 1/16 oz.
    jigs tipped with leeches or crawlers are doing the trick.
    Of course it is best when there is a wind blowing on shore.
    Go out and get some “timber Rock” jigs and give it a try.
    Have fun1
    waenut
    Fins & Feathers Guide Service

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Congrats on the new forum Tom! I don’t know if something’s missing or not but this forum isn’t showing the yellow bulb for new posts…………….might want to run it past James and see what he thinks……………..

tom_gursky

Thanks for the tip Waenut! Hopefully that pattern will continue for a while. We’ve been vertical jigging/drifting the reserviors with the same presentation but not many keepers.

tom_gursky

Richard , I didn’t think you wanted your secret spot revealed!! Oops too late.. ….. We wont tell em to use those little crawfish colored crankbaits.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I think it’s a cookie problem. Usually if we’re talking problems with light bulbs we’re talking cookies and that’s an issue on your end. Do this. Scroll ALL THE WAY to the bottom of the main index page. There’s a link down there called “cookies.” Click on it. Expire your cookies and write a new cookie set. Should fix the problem. The light bulb is working perfectly for me on this end. Try it… let me know.

Quote:

Congrats on the new forum Tom! I don’t know if something’s missing or not but this forum isn’t showing the yellow bulb for new posts…………….might want to run it past James and see what he thinks……………..

tom_gursky

This is a cookie test.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

did you pass?

tom_gursky

YEA!!!!!! I Passed!!! (and the little yellow lite proudly lit

tom_gursky

Wait a minute…lets make sure it didn’t just go on for your post and not mine.

tom_gursky

Cookie test 2

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Tom, the light bulb will not light for you when you make a post. When you post the forum figures you’ve read it since you wrote it and won’t light the bulb. If I or anyone else makes a post then the bulb should light. Did this post cause the bulb to light for you? If so, you passed!

tom_gursky

Thanks James! We’ll leave the light on for you!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I didn’t do a dog gone thing and I got the light bulb now! I don’t get it? Anyway…………it’s working for me now!

Tom, can I just blame it on your cookies??? LOL!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.