Sylvania Wilderness

• dudaman05

Hi all,
    Just wondering how they are hitting up in Sylvania lately. I’m going back for another trip this year for a long weekend. Curious what the smallmouth are hitting on. Any help would be appreciated! Keep the lines tight!
    Adam

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Water temps are coming up nicely lately(55-58) and very soon the spawn will start ( about 3 weeks late! ). It will be excellent the next few weeks. Give us a report of your trip.
    I will switch over to Bass in a couple days and start posting reports on the Michigan Lakes forum. Tom

dudaman05

Tom,
    What other species do you think we will encounter up there since the spawn is happening so late? Any techniques you suggest or approaches to the fishing? Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Adam

tom_gursky

Sylvania’s clear, deep, sparkling lakes lie like jewels scattered among rolling hills and giant trees. Six of Sylvania’s 35 lakes are over 250 acres in size. There are numerous smaller lakes, ponds and bogs throughout the area. Sylvania lies on the divide between Lake Superior and Mississippi drainages although most Sylvania lakes have no surface outlets to either drainage. Special fishing regulations apply so the unique fisheries with its large older fish can be maintained. Commonly found fish include large and small mouthed bass, lake trout, walleye and northern pike and a variety of panfish. Larger size limits apply only, artificial lures can be used; and it’s catch and release on the bass. Bass fishing is at its finest here so enjoy catching and releasing them for you or someone else to land again another day.
    There is NO KILL on Bass, other specific rules are available at the visitors center in Watersmeet. Bass should be on a tear in a week or so, as will be pike and crappie. Lake trout and walleye reside in Clark Lake but are tough to catch. Bring some surface lures and spinner baits. Please flatten the barbs on the hooks. You’ll hurt far less bass upon releasing them.

dudaman05

Thanks Tom! Appreciate the help. Planning on using some skirted jigs tipped with plastics for the smallies along with some Mepps spinners. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.
    Adam

tom_gursky

#1 absolute Smallie killer lure is a 5″ Zoom SuperFluke! I went out for bass for the first time today and my friend and I caught 40 between 13 and 18″. The Fluke caught 75% of them, Tube jigs 15%, allother lures 10%. Trust me…get several packs in light( Silver,White Ice,etc) and some 3/0 quality offset worm hooks. Tie em on with no weight…throw to cover and slowly twitch em back…WHAM! They’ll pull your arm out of the socket they hit em so hard!

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

What can anyone tell me about Crooked Lake?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.