Gone Fishin!

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Well guys, Happy Easter!

I will be headin out at the crack of dawn for the ‘Hallowed Ground”,

the upper Mississippi. Temps there have been warmer than here(hasn’t everywhere?)

I will be targeting walleye and sauger(there is NO closed season on river). Believe it or not I have never used any live bait there, just plastics and jigs, catching oodles of nice fish.

Here is an update on the early season on the Menominee from our friend Eric. Menominee River: Well the report last week didn’t sound to promising. 4 dams were open and the current was whipping pretty good. I saw a few people fishing near stephenson island in some of the slack water but didn’t hear of anything being caught. I also spent a few hour fishing for walleye off the lighthouse. As of Friday most of the ice was out of the

river and boats are starting to pile up in search for the walleyes. I talked to 2 boats but they didn’t have any luck just a couple bites. The only thing I hooked into was a sucker that was snagged in the back and saw several other suckers surfacing so they’re starting to move in the river and I expect the walleyes to be in within a week or 2. There are ramps in place at the mystery ship and Boom landing near Marinette

Marine. The ice on the bay is starting to shift also, with the strong north wind yesterday a lot of the ice was pushed up onto the lighthouse pier. I’ll be headiong home Thursday again so hopefully I’ll have some more info for you then. Boats should still be very careful for ice chunks near the mouth.

Eric

(below is a 14.2# dandy caught Thursday…Mississippi River)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.