Upgrading tires.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Any thoughts on wheels?
    Fuel have the best selection?

I’m looking for taller tires on my Ram not wider.

btw – I’m new at this aftermarket stuff but i would like to upgrade the look of my stuck PU

Go to wheelpros.com type in your exact truck and you will find a few pages of options. I am in the debate between fuel, xd, or rhinos for wheels. I am also only going taller and not wider.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If you do go wider, do you need to put on fender flairs?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you do go wider, do you need to put on fender flairs?

I would highly suggest flares. My last truck was rock chipped to hell due to my offsets and no flares. I also suggest the rock chip film along the rockers. I did that to this truck right away because I’m on gravel roads alot. Paint matched flares are not cheap. If you go with flares you might as well add offsets on the wheels because they look very nice. Just don’t go to offset because they start to look stupid ad hell

Jake
    Brainerd

I got like 70k out of my Nitto ridge graps. But that is with minimal summer driving. I think that might have had a big impact, but I was very happy with them. They were 295/55/20 so like a 33×11.5.

dbright
    Cambridge

I have loved every set of nitto terra grappler I have had. They were not available this spring when I needed tires including online. I ended up going with Falken wildpeaks. Hopefully they last like the grapplers.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Don’t think you’d be disappointed with the KO2’s. 45k (2 years) on my current set and are wearing very well. Great traction in snow. Don’t spend much time in the mud. And they are relatively quiet. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

On my 2nd set on my F150, great traction in the mud and snow. suprisingingly quiet on the highway too. I got 70K miles on the last set. Also got my unstuck 2x in snow drifts

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Glad to hear good things about the nittos. They are in my line up. Worked late today so I didn’t get to meet the wheel guy at the woman’s shop. I will research all weekend

snelson223
    Austin MN

We have both BFG ko2 and Nitto ridge grapplers on each of our F150’s. My wife won’t drive the truck with the ridge grapplers in the winter. There is a noticeable traction difference on snow and ice between the two. I would not buy the ridge grapplers again.

We have duratracs on our ram 2500 work trucks and they only get about a year out of them and they are shot. We are always pulling trailers with the trucks though.

futurepoorperson

I would advise against investing your money in Nitto tires based on my personal experience with two sets. In my opinion, they are soft tires and perform extremely poorly in winter conditions. Although they have an attractive appearance, they require frequent rotations, usually around every 3,000 miles, as they tend to develop cupping issues.

27eyeguy

I’ve been running Kanati Trail Hogs on Chev 1500. I only buy 10 ply and use the truck n tires pretty hard. Half my miles are loaded, towing, and not on pavement, usually get 50k miles a set, but I also rotate often and run about 48-50 psi. These tires are a Duratrac knock-off but I haven’t even considered anything else last couple times.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m not sure if they are available in the size you’re after, but I’ve been happy with Falken Wildlpeak A/Ts. I run fields quite a bit and bluff logging roads, as well as pull a tritoon and fishing boat and have never had an issue.

To note, my tire guy said he will purchase but not mount Duratracs for me. He said they’re the most overrated tire on the market and he’s had more alignment, wear, etc issues with them than any other truck tire. The KO2s received high regards from him, I just opted to try something different and a tad cheaper and have been impressed

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m not sure if they are available in the size you’re after, but I’ve been happy with Falken Wildlpeak A/Ts. I run fields quite a bit and bluff logging roads, as well as pull a tritoon and fishing boat and have never had an issue.

To note, my tire guy said he will purchase but not mount Duratracs for me. He said they’re the most overrated tire on the market and he’s had more alignment, wear, etc issues with them than any other truck tire. The KO2s received high regards from him, I just opted to try something different and a tad cheaper and have been impressed

My wild peaks were awesome on my half ton.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

To note, my tire guy said he will purchase but not mount Duratracs for me. He said they’re the most overrated tire on the market and he’s had more alignment, wear, etc issues with them than any other truck tire.

Not to knock your tire guy Bucky, to each there own. However I have owned three sets of them and have several friends now running them and none of us have had any issues at all. They wear a bit faster than the KO’s but that is the only drawback. I will say this about the Falkens we put a set on an aging truck for a friend and I was skeptical but he said they did perform well in adverse conditions and he was overall happy with them. Got rid of the truck before they could wear out so not sure there.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    To note, my tire guy said he will purchase but not mount Duratracs for me. He said they’re the most overrated tire on the market and he’s had more alignment, wear, etc issues with them than any other truck tire.

Not to knock your tire guy Bucky, to each there own. However I have owned three sets of them and have several friends now running them and none of us have had any issues at all. They wear a bit faster than the KO’s but that is the only drawback. I will say this about the Falkens we put a set on an aging truck for a friend and I was skeptical but he said they did perform well in adverse conditions and he was overall happy with them. Got rid of the truck before they could wear out so not sure there.

Do the ko2s come in a 35. 17 or 18 inch wheel ?

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Even though they weren’t on your list BC, I have had a great experience with the General Grabber ATX. For whatever reason they don’t seem to get talked about as much but mine have worn great and you couldn’t ask for better winter performance.

Granted, this is on a half ton so take that for what it’s worth.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Do the ko2s come in a 35. 17 or 18 inch wheel ?

Yes they were made in both the 295/55R20 and the 35.12.50R18 however as I recall the warehouse I checked did not have any available at the time I looked last week.

whytie
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

I’m on my first set of KO2s with 80,000Km (50,000miles) over 3 years. they have been great for ice fishing, as I usually break trail when my friends are with me. like any tire they aren’t the greatest on glare ice with a truck but 4×4 helps in those situations. I can only compare it to duratracs since I haven’t run any other types.

The main pros/cons between the 2:
    Pros: KO2s are quieter on pavement, better ice and snow traction, better tread wearing, softer ride, and looks bada** on my truck hahaha.

Cons: Can get stuck in mud easier (fall hunting), 1/2 stones get lodged in the treads and come out like bullets when driving grids often (needed a plastic cover for my boat trailer and mud flaps that connects to my hitch), the tire is a softer rubber and started to crack after 3 seasons (I park outside year round the east side show more wear due to sun damage)

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT has been nice so far. Granted they’re a 10 ply but I’m running them on a half ton, they’re firm, they perform well in all conditions thus far, and after 30k miles I don’t see any noticeable wear. I’m happy with them and would buy again. Made in USA too.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

These showed up last night. 35x 12.5 ko2s on 20 inch fuels. I might get motivated tonight and throw them on

Attachments:
    1. output_image1698949118106.jpg

2. output_image1698949097003.jpg

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Those look sharp. Be sure to post some pictures when you get them on.

Random Question: I don’t run aftermarket rims on anything currently, but you guys with them do you leave them on all winter or take them off during salt season? I know some guys throw stock back on, some guys coat them with something, and others just run them as is.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

These will be my every day wheels, I’m not worried about the salt. They will look good for the 5 years I will own the truck. The stock set will be sold. My last fuel rims had 6 winters on them and looked perfect

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I got them on

Attachments:
    1. 20231103_180619-scaled.jpg

Viewing 23 posts - 31 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.