Upgrading Legacy Terrova iPilot to new BT system

• Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Has anybody here done this? I checked into it a couple years ago and was told it wasn’t possible! Didn’t want to hijack the other thread, but here is a link to the kit. I’ve thought about replacing the whole thing with new, but motors are pretty hard to find right now.

Bluetooth iPilot

walldows

I upgraded my legacy Terrova with the new iPilot link. Have not had any issues with it so far. I only bought the replacement head unit and remote, didn’t get all of the other parts and pieces in the kit you have linked.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

If it’s feasible, I would order up a new motor, keep using your until new one arrives, then sell your old one. It’ll sell fast. That’s what I did last year. Took a month for new one to come in.

Garrett Van Gorden

I just completed the installation of this. I bought my kit from Northland marine in Three Lakes Wi. It was $700, a hefty increase from the legacy upgrade kit that was 400-450. But it requires more parts to convert to bluetooth so price increase was expected. Plus its still a TON less than buying a new bluetooth terrova that are out of stock all over.

It turns out its basically the bluetooth head and matching lower cowling, bluetooth control board and new matching cover, and GPS puck. Unfortunately there is no real full set of instructions, it comes with the instructions for installing the head as if it was a bluetooth unit from the factory. So far so good on the install, haven’t had it on the water yet to test the spot-lock feature but the unit powers up and all features work from the remote.

Cant wait to get it out on the water this week.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I just completed this upgrade a few weeks ago. I bought the parts separately and choose not to get the heading sensor puck, which you don’t need unless you need the jog feature or are linking to graphs. I sold my legacy iPilot head and remotes and recouped nearly half my cost.
    I’ve had the unit on the water twice and it works awesome. Major upgrade from the legacy iPilot. The install is pretty simple once you get into it.

Tim Meiners

I think that I have the same set and wondered what the parts you used. If you would not mind sharing.

I have a legacy terrova 36 volt with ipilot today and want to go to ipilot link. I would appreciate any help you could share

Thanks in advance
    Tim

Jay Johnson
    Morrison, IL

Thinking about upgrading my pre-2016 24V Terrova with I-pilot. I’m not interested in ipilot link as I have Garmin graphs and don’t plan on connecting them together. Anyway, do I need the GPS puck? New foot pedal? New remote? I just bought a new remote last year. After I got the new remote my Terrova will randomly turn on its own sometimes. Would the upgrade kit fix that issue?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

If you follow the link in my first post, you’ll see everything you need. However, will not need the heading sensor since you don’t plan to link to graphs. I didn’t buy the kit shown, but contacted Fishlectronics in MN and bought the individual parts needed. By doing this upgrade, you will no longer be able to use your old foot pedal. Can be a downside for some. Didn’t bother me since I had not used the foot pedal in years.

Onthewater

Don’t ever let someone talk you in to not buying or not using the heading sensor. The jog feature is one of the best things about the motor. It is precise, fast, and you never have to stop fishing.

blank

Don’t ever let someone talk you in to not buying or not using the heading sensor. The jog feature is one of the best things about the motor. It is precise, fast, and you never have to stop fishing.

agreed

The heading sensor is to be used with both iPilot and iPilot Link.

Jay Johnson
    Morrison, IL

I still use my foot pedal. Sometimes it’s easier to tap the buttons with my toes than it is to grab the remote hanging from my waist.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.