Unfortunate Incident at the Back Channel Ramp

• luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Rolled up to a bummer of a scene Sunday afternoon at the back channel ramp. Story was that the boat owner unhooked his boat before heading down the ramp and she slide right off the bunks. Just a reminder to wait until your boat is in the water to unhook it. Unfortunate event, but glad nobody was hurt.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20220313_1741102723-scaled.jpg

2. PXL_20220313_1717106053-scaled.jpg

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

That would ruin a day of fishing! I hope it’s not the guy that was just asking about his new bunk trailer the other day.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Contrary to popular belief, it still happens with bunks. Very rarely, but it still can happen.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That is a bad day at the ramp. He’s lucky they could lift it back on the trailer. I’ve seen some drag it into the water so they could load it back up which really scratches the crap out of the hull.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

I don’t think it ruined their day. They said they were going to go out fishing after they got everything squared away with the crane operator, lol.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Contrary to popular belief, it still happens with bunks. Very rarely, but it still can happen.

Not that rare in this weather. I see it every year.
    This topic was just touched on not long ago. I laugh about all the guys who unhook first. It only takes 1 time to mess up. But it only takes 5 extra seconds to unhook when it’s in the water

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Tough way to “break in” a boat. doah (Looks new – no registration numbers) But, yes, happens every year.

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

New boat? No registration numbers. New to bunks?
    I did see they said there was ice on the bunks.

They were smart to get a crane. Insurance should cover that and less damage to the boat. (I’m going to remember that)

Most people haven’t had their boat into the water in about 4-6 months. Add that to a busy launch and the feeling of pressure to get out of the way and what an on-looker could call stupid mistake can happen to the best of boaters.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Tough way to “break in” a boat. doah (Looks new – no registration numbers) But, yes, happens every year.

-J.

I think it’s a 2020. It has registration, and the owner’s name on the cowl, i just blurred them out for privacy’s sake.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

New boat? No registration numbers. New to bunks?
    I did see they said there was ice on the bunks.

They were smart to get a crane. Insurance should cover that and less damage to the boat. (I’m going to remember that)

Most people haven’t had their boat into the water in about 4-6 months. Add that to a busy launch and the feeling of pressure to get out of the way and what an on-looker could call stupid mistake can happen to the best of boaters.

They weren’t from around here, but definitely should have known better. They had been out saturday at least and yep, the bunks were iced up until sunday afternoon.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

-J.

I think it’s a 2020. It has registration, and the owner’s name on the cowl, i just blurred them out for privacy’s sake.

Got it. Good idea.

-J.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I don’t unhook the strap or safety chain until I have it in the water.

Also, a good reminder to pull the strap out of the winch and check it’s condition annually.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

It happened at the very least once a year when I lived down there. The skidsteer and helpful volunteers had the situation resolved in fairly short order. The most memorable however, were the folks that did it 2 days in a row……

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

…and it WASNT me!! ^^

catmando
    wis

Bunk trailers and cold weather, if going fishing 2 days in a row, let the bunks soak some water before pushing off, you can really tear the carpet off the bunks fast…….This I know.

deertracker

Beautiful boat. It might be in my price range now. doah
    DT

Jason

I’m surprised that the front eyelet is strong enough to support 2000lbs or whatever it weighs.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Yep that sucks ! Reminds me of a story when a young local guy came back north to fish the flowage . He was a Game Warden in southern Wisconsin . He unloads his brand new aluminum boat and takes off with the winch strap still attached . He he dragged the boat 25 ft up the ramp before he stopped . Took 6 guys to pick it up and put it back in the water .

Ripjiggen

That’s what keel guards are for right? whistling

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I imagine there are some cracks in the gel coat Ouch.

stevenoak

I’ll admit. I was “that guy” when I bought my first deep vee boat/roller trailer when I was in my 20’s. Got lucky, mine lit in the lake. Just meant a polar plunge to retrieve it. Wife asked what she could do to help. I told her get 2 towels, sweatpants and shirt out of the motorhome and turn up the heat. Never did it again.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

lucky he had his motor trimmed up

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.