Underwater HD camera comparison

• Ryan Overson

I’m thinking of going with an HD/1080p underwater camera, primarily for my IC. I currently have the Marcum VS485C that I’ve been using in my fish house for the past two years. I do notice a bit of interference when I have it plugged into the video jack for the TV, but I have not tried plugging the video cable directly into the TV, bypassing the interior cable between the two video jacks in the wall. The interference is just some horizontal pixilated lines that crawl up the screen, similar to adjusting horizontal hold on an old TV, but they’re not always present and isn’t overly annoying. Could be cheap cable(s).

But since I have a 1080p TV, I’ve been looking at upgrading to a 1080p camera, primarily the Aqua Vu 7i Gen 2 and Marcum Quest 7 HD. Unfortunately, I haven’t found a comparison review online, showing both cameras side-by-side, to see which one has a clearer picture in various lighting conditions and water clarity.

I know with Marcum cameras, you can plug the charger cable directly into an AC outlet in the house, to bypass the on-board battery, but I haven’t been able to find info in regards to the Aqua Vu. I’m more curious how Aqua Vu’s infrared compares to the LED light on the Marcum at night. So I don’t really know which is better, infrared or LED, but I do know there’s a light attachment for the Aqua Vu as well.

I assume there’s likely nobody who has both of these cameras, but I’d like to know your thoughts on either model, in regards to image clarity and low light or night capabilities, LED vs infrared, – plus the AC capability on the Aqua Vu.

iTinker

HD underwater cameras are good in some super clear lakes, but having the versatility my 5.0 Revolution Pro has is unparalleled.

In any lake, infrared can be problematic if you have anything suspended in the water. It’s much like putting your brights on in a downpour. Even buddies who put suspended lights on their cameras saw the same particles suspended in the water blocking the view.

My camera has a magnetic mounted USB charger and has an internally upgradeable DVR with an SD card, and I never see feedback when plugged into the icehouse TV–charging or otherwise.

It’s either a marcum thing, or an unshielded wire thing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.