Underwater camera for ice fishing the dark waters of LOTW

• fireline
    Rochester

Is their a GOOD underwater camera for the dark waters of LOTW ice fishing in the $5oo.oo -700.00 range ?

Gunflint Trail

I use the AquaVu micro 5 revolution pro – and I love it. The only constraint is that the cable is 60ft long and if you fish deeper you miss things. Because I usually fish at the deeper end of the cable, I normally point the camera up towards the light so I can see the lake trout. The dark bottoms in deep water and low light are difficult. Another point, the camera mounted lights are useless for me because they illuminate the plankton in the water and the end result is worse than with no light.

B-man

Cameras don’t work all that well on LOTW.

If you’re up shallow (less than 20′) with minimal snow cover, they work “okay” on a sunny day. But if you’re out in 30′, especially with snow cover…..your visibility will be terrible.

I have a few cameras (MarCum VS485c, Aqua Vu AV Multi-Vu HD house cam , and Auqa Vu Micro).

The Marcum has the best picture, but as mentioned only works under ideal conditions up there.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I came to say the same thing. Cameras have their place, and LOW with snow cover isn’t one of them. Between the group I fish with we have about every brand imaginable and they all have about the same picture on LOW. Now if you go on a clear lake the Marcum is probably the best of the bunch. I have an Aqua View and can say that it does it’s job well. Just that the Marcum has a really clear picture, and the panner is nice to have setup in the hard houses.

Nodak

I have a marcum quest which I used last weekend. HD quality picture but requires clear water. I won’t expect it to work well at LOTW. Only problem I have with the quest is the case. It’s too small for the big camera and only has one handle on a side.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

It is my belief after fishing the Rainy River / LOW that a camera is of no value. I’ve fished there 20 years in the very late fall when the Lodges are at a shut down stage until ice season starts. I’ve also ice fished LOW 4 times and this is my thought. Don’t buy a camera just to ice fish LOW. jmo.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I quit bringing a camera to LOTW. On a good day you could see about 12″.

Gunflint Trail

I think that LOTW would be an ideal place for the Garmin Livescope. It does not need light or clear water and you still have a fairly good idea of what is happening – like an ultrasound of the lake. Not quite the same as a camera, but it reaches out 100 feet and works in no light.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.