Uncut Angling – Minnesota Barotrauma

• big_g
    Isle, MN

OK, I will say it.. did anybody ask Crappie Keith ? coffee crazy doah

basseyes

Education in hard-core facts is often difficult for “the scientific” community to fully grasp and is often lost in that community claiming “the science” as the irrefutable, ideological, dogmatic, fundamental gospel of their ways of collecting data can not and should not be questioned. The exact opposite of “good” science which demands to be questioned and disproven too be genuinely “good” science.

Tip of the cap to a young man who put the hammer down on flaws in ways our resources are being researched and managed. They need to be questioned and held to a higher standard and he did that with a real life scenario. I’m not always his biggest fan and he’s got an edge to him at times that borders on he is either off his rocker or a pure genuine. That is a razors edge I’m sure for him to navigate, but this video did a great job to at least address a very challenging issue questioning the practices of how research is being done and it’s actual validity.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Aaron has really matured in his years. I thought his first couple videos were bad. Seemed like a rich brat that just wanted to show off his latest gadget. But know he’s a guy that takes a much more thought out approach to his actions. I’m not anointing him or calling him a super hero of the fishing world, but he absolutely cares about the fish and the overall industry. I thought the way he composed his study of these deep water effects was very well explained and thought out. It boggles my mind how anyone can criticize a guy for trying something positive and showing you the results! I could care less if he had a degree in biology. My Dad, Uncle’s, and Grandparents have taught me things my entire life, and non if them have degrees in anything either.

Gitchi Gummi

Still waiting on our resident environmental scientist and fisheries biologist DeeDee to come out of hiding. I haven’t seen someone turtle like this since Claude Lemieux in the Red Wings/Avalanche brawl in 1997

duh queen

OK, here it goes. Per gitchee’s assertion that I have no credibility in the Marine General thread:
    I here by claim that “The gitch is the most thoughtful, articulate, reasoned poster on this thread.”
    It’s too bad that because I lack credibility that my words are worthless.
    Gitch, it’s time you put on your bigboy pants and accept that you are two ignurunt to follow the breadcrumbs left on the DNT website to the DNR study. If someone as dim as the queen can do it, what does that say about your cognitive abilities? U B dumber than da queen?

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Sea Grant Florida did an article last year on barotrauma and how to mitigate . They used radio telemetry in tracking fish to determine mortality . NOAA Fisheries also did a study in California radio tracking also . Not every fish survive . But a good number do . Descending devices are key to releasing fish to the depths they were caught . Science is there with proof ,all one has to do is read the articles . Believe it or not they are backed up with scientific data .

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Sea Grant Florida and NOAA fisheries in CA did a study on barotrauma in crappies? Or salt water fish? Big difference in my opinion.

Sea Grant Florida did an article last year on barotrauma and how to mitigate . They used radio telemetry in tracking fish to determine mortality . NOAA Fisheries also did a study in California radio tracking also . Not every fish survive . But a good number do . Descending devices are key to releasing fish to the depths they were caught . Science is there with proof ,all one has to do is read the articles . Believe it or not they are backed up with scientific data .

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There’s also big differences between the DNR study and reality.

Gitchi Gummi

“i ReAd ThE dNr StUdY aNd YuR aLl dUmBeR tHaN mE”
    -Queen Dee

just give it up man. you lied and have been trying to save face ever since and you’re just looking like an idiot every time you try to come up with a clever response to avoid the issue

BigWerm
    SW Metro

OK, here it goes.

So you’d rather die on this hill, than a simple copy and paste of the study? I’m sure you feel witty typing all your silly retorts out, but it really just reflects poorly on yourself Dee J. It’s ok to admit you were wrong or lied in your post saying you read it, that’s a heckuva lot better than what you are doing now.

CaptainMusky

FYI he just posted a new video about it 14 minutes ago. I have yet to watch it but definitely will.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Aaron, for your next study, put those fish in the minnow traps and lower them to 30’ next time. Check them 48-72 hours later.

CaptainMusky

Aaron, for your next study, put those fish in the minnow traps and lower them to 30’ next time. Check them 48-72 hours later.

That is along the lines of what I was thinking too, but I really enjoyed both videos. He makes no promises for sure.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I should say experiment, not study.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I’m no fisheries expert, and I don’t have a stake in this discussion- however, wouldn’t keeping crappie trapped in a minnow trap for 2-3 days induce additional stress and likely interfere with results? I think a big giant aquarium, like seaworld, where you could visibly examine the fish and they are free to go back to doing their thing would yield cleaner results. I would think anyway.

CaptainMusky

I think if it were an aquarium it would need to be as deep as the water the fish would have come from. With a trap, while not ideal for the reasons you mentioned, you can easily get that down to 30 feet.

hossfisher

Aaron mentioned in the on-screen text that it would be better to observe them “at depth” and that he applied for an exception permit to do so, but was denied. It said the law required him to work within the constraints of a realistic “angling livewell.” Guessing that prevented him from doing something to this effect.

duh queen

So….
    The Gitch sent me an email where he resorted to threats of violence against me, and dared me to meet up at Marine General and “settle this man to man”. Sorry dude, I don’t do troglodites. But if I did, I’d be sure to bring an attorney along with me. I’d own you before you even made bail. And now that we…or more appropriately, YOU have established the type of insecure individual you are, maybe it’s time you took a little chill pill.
    So ask yourself, “do you feel lucky”??
    I could certainly benefit from a windfall lawsuit.
    If you can’t stand the mocking, you shouldn’t encourage it with threats of violence.
    You’re a bully, and if there’s one thing I enjoy as much a fishing, it’s taking down bullies. Way down!
    You are little more to me than a bug on windshield of my life. Deal with it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So….
    The Gitch sent me an email where he resorted to threats of violence against me, and dated me to meet up at Marine General and “settle this man to man”. Sorry dude, I don’t do troglodites. But I’d
    Be sure to bring an attorney along with me. I’d own you before you even made bail. And now that we’ve …or more appropriately, how YOU have established the type of insecure individual you are, maybe it’s time you took a little chill pill.
    So ask yourself, “do you feel lucky”??
    I could certainly benefit from a windfall lawsuit.
    If you can stand the mocking, you should encourage it with threats of violence.
    You’re a bully, and if there’s one thing I enjoy as much a fishing, it’s taking down bullies. Way down!

No need to tattle to us, you are a big boy that talks alot of trash. You can deal with it right ?

CaptainMusky

No need to tattle to us, you are a big boy that talks alot of trash. You can deal with it right ?

What are the chances that Gitchi actually did what he is accusing?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I’m not sure, but I do find it sad that people try so hard to push others buttons and then can’t take a slap without crying lawsuit. Maybe just maybe don’t sit and be a ass hat in the first place. Calling people names and then running and hiding. The internet has made people to comfortable disrespecting others.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Now that I think of it, is this a reappearance of JD Winston?!? Dee J Anders…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Post the email queen.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m a regular here and this was the first time I opened this thread.

…now my biggest disappointment is that I didn’t have a couple beers while reading through it.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Observations/comments on Aaron’s latest video:
    -fantastic experiment applause
    -if a few other people would repeat the experiment with Aaron’s instructions to independently verify his results, that would be powerful (yes, I am a retired scientist and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I did, however, take some graduate level ichthyology courses in 1983 and learned about barotrauma). I have no doubt that the results would be the same.
    -I laughed out loud when Aaron and Shane had the lab coats on rotflol
    -the wood stove in that house is awesome
    -garland on the ceiling is a nice touch
    -Maybe Phoenix should be renamed Chewy

See my Jan. 1st post on page 3 about clipping on a weight to release fish at any depth but generally near the bottom. I’ve been doing this for close to 20 years.

isu22andy

I’m a regular here and this was the first time I opened this thread.

…now my biggest disappointment is that I didn’t have a couple beers while reading through it.

I’m literally laughing out loud to myself reading this last page also. jester

Tom schmitt

The one main area of Aaron’s experiment that needs to be evaluated further is, how does adding the weighted clips alter the experiment.
    When releasing fish how many people add weighted clips to their fish?

On a secondary note Aaron’s experiment did prove, beyond a shadow of doubt, the DNR’S concern over FFS’s exploitation of the resource being easier. Aaron easily targeted a single fish to complete his experiment.
    That is exactly what the DNR is concerned about.

On a third note, it’s too bad that a subject as important as this got high jacked by high witted troll. Amusing at times, ridiculous at others, sad really.

I still think it would be interesting to study weather reading in speed would alter the severity of barotrauma.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 199 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.