Unconfirmed possible fatality on Mille Lacs

• dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    Going to the bathroom over the side of the boat is a big one, or even leaning way over to net fish or release them in rough water.

I used to date the daughter of a DNR manager in northern MN. I cant remember what the exact number was that he said, but it was an absurdly high % of drowning victims are older men that are found with their belt loosened and pants around their ankles. Certainly makes sense, but it never crossed my mind.

Use urinals and life jackets folks!

Our solution is the whiffle-whizzer. Take a whiffle-ball bat, saw it off on both ends. Whizz into the barrel end standing a safe distance from the gunwhale, while the water slide safely delivers the yellow stuff out the handle end and over the side into the water. When done give it a good dunk or two into the lake and stow it in the rod locker.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Tropicana Orange juice bottles. Use them, dump & rinse.

Adam Steffes

Gatorade bottles have a conveniently wide mouth on them – though I have seen folks slice the top off a water bottle too for improved ergonomics.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

They sell little Johnny’s. Red bottle with a flat bottom, so you can set it down without spilling to zip up and then pour it out. It comes with a cap so you can seal it off when stored.

LabDaddy1

That whiffle-whizzer idea is genius

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Trimmed off gallon milk jug. Nice handle and large opening.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Press Release From 1/20/2022

Emergency crews were called early the morning of Saturday, Jan. 15, to a report that a man had been found outside his fish house on Mille Lacs, extremities frozen and unresponsive.

The man, identified by family on social media as an experienced ice fisherman from St. Cloud, had gone to his fish house on Mille Lacs Friday to do some ice fishing. He asked the staff at the resort where he had entered the lake to check on him that evening and the next morning.

That night around 11 p.m. resort staff checked on him and according to the man’s Caring Bridge page, he was “tucked into his icehouse for the night.”

The next morning when resort staff went to go check on him, they found him outside his fish house, the door was wide open, he was laying on his stomach, all four extremities (both arms and both legs) frozen, unresponsive, and barely breathing.

It appeared that he had fallen and had been attempting to crawl back to the fish house. He was not dressed for the cold weather. That night temperatures were well below zero.

The resort staff called 911 at 6:38 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 15. He was subsequently airlifted to Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) in Minneapolis.

According to the Caring Bridge page, the initial report was severe hypothermia, and his core body temperature was 70 degrees. He had to have continuous CPR on a LUCAS device since his heart rate was 10 beats per minute at the scene.

Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation was also being used to warm him up. He also had pulmonary edema (a condition where fluid accumulates in lung tissues) and was put on a ventilator to ensure he had good oxygen flow.

A Jan. 19 Caring Bridge update said the man was breathing on his own and was making strides to recovery, but he remained in the intensive care unit at HCMC.

The resort was not available for comment and no further information is known at this time.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Folgers coffee can

That’s what we use when out on Erie. Hard enough to stand up when in big rollers, let alone try and take a leak over the gunwale.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Update from the Mille Lacs Messenger:

http://www.messagemedia.co/millelacs/community/st-cloud-man-found-partially-frozen-outside-fish-house-on-mille-lacs/article_549dcd42-7a36-11ec-971a-6f0f69342a14.html

St. Cloud man found partially frozen outside fish house on Mille Lacs

Staff report

Emergency crews were called early the morning of Saturday, Jan. 15, to a report that a man had been found outside his fish house on Mille Lacs, extremities frozen and unresponsive.

The man, identified by family on social media as an experienced ice fisherman from St. Cloud, had gone to his fish house on Mille Lacs Friday to do some ice fishing. He asked the staff at the resort where he had entered the lake to check on him that evening and the next morning.

That night around 11 p.m. resort staff checked on him and according to the man’s Caring Bridge page, he was “tucked into his icehouse for the night.”

The next morning when resort staff went to go check on him, they found him outside his fish house, the door was wide open, he was laying on his stomach, all four extremities (both arms and both legs) frozen, unresponsive, and barely breathing.

It appeared that he had fallen and had been attempting to crawl back to the fish house. He was not dressed for the cold weather. That night temperatures were well below zero.

The resort staff called 911 at 6:38 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 15. He was subsequently airlifted to Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) in Minneapolis.

According to the Caring Bridge page, the initial report was severe hypothermia, and his core body temperature was 70 degrees. He had to have continuous CPR on a LUCAS device since his heart rate was 10 beats per minute at the scene.

Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation was also being used to warm him up. He also had pulmonary edema (a condition where fluid accumulates in lung tissues) and was put on a ventilator to ensure he had good oxygen flow.

A Jan. 19 Caring Bridge update said the man was breathing on his own and was making strides to recovery, but he remained in the intensive care unit at HCMC.

The resort was not available for comment and no further information is known at this time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Although I’ve never seen a report stating this, I’ve been told many times that WI’s drownings had 50% found with their zippers down. As a guide, the more I kept a person in their chair and away from the sides of the boat, they better off we all were.

I bought one of these, but after thinking about sanitation, I just kept it around for myself.

Attachments:
    1. Make-Girls-Look.jpeg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I truly hope this fella comes out on top of this. It can happen… ask River Dan.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ve heard of guys that pee in their splashwells. I guess it doesn’t matter as long as you aren’t standing on the side trying to balance with the waves. And for you guys who are Superman can can drink all day, stand on the side and pee over without falling in……….you can’t, you just haven’t yet. Only a matter of when, not if it happens.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I always have a hospital urinal in the boat. urine in it then dump it out and rinse. Very handy.

Attachments:
    1. E9FDCB0C-DC0B-4FB2-9AD3-DAFD82A752FD.jpeg

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

This guy planned on getting so drunk he wanted the resort to check on him? Wow…

Ongo

There haven’t been any official reports of intoxication that I’ve seen, just speculation. It was previously stated that the man was in his mid to late 70’s. If that’s the case he wouldn’t necessarily need to be drinking to want someone to check in just in case a heater failed or some other issue came up. It’s also pretty common for folks that age to need to get up to pee in the middle of the night.

Tim Chrouser

Here’s what you do….get yourself a 8′ piece of pvc pipe and an elbow. Cut a hole in the wall of the shack and run yer pipe through it. Never have to leave the shack and the pee is set free.

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.