Two SI transducer’s question. Which side do I drop my Jigging rap down on now?

• Chris
    Finger Lakes, NY

I have two helix units next to each other at the back of my tiller boat. I also have two side imagining transducers I’m going to install on each side of the transom for better imaging with the proper Humminbird cable linked to one of my Helix units (they are also going to be networked via the 5 port switch) Being a walleye fisherman I do a lot of sharp-shoot-jigging off the back of my boat (Rippin raps, jigging raps, etc.)

My concern is when I’m driving over a pod of fish usually I would stop, drop my jig down right onto them on the side my transducer was on my old boat. Now that I have two transducers, I’m confused about how I will know which side to drop my jig down on. Do you have any recommendations for settings, rigging, etc? I’ve seen some people use the two SI units along with one High-Speed transducer. Would this be the solution to knowing which side to jig on? Would love your guys feedback. Thanks!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

It’s not going to matter which side of the boat you drop off of when you’re dropping on a fish right beneath you. If a couple feet matter, then you should be able to select a source for the 2D sonar. At least that’s what I can do with my Lowrance units.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I agree with RJ. For vertical jigging underneath the boat I would not use SI and would use 2D. If you are stationary the SI will not be the best tool for the job.

Chris
    Finger Lakes, NY

Thanks guys! I should clarify: When speed jigging I idle around with my 2D on. No Side imaging. I know to some it dosen’t matter if your bait is a few feet off but if possible I always like to get that jig right in front of their faces.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

the bottom.
    definitely jig it on the bottom side.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Just use one,not as complicated then.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I believe you can set either left, right or both? Do left on 1 and right on 1

RM

I should clarify: When speed jigging I idle around with my 2D on. No Side imaging.

I believe what you are asking is which SI transducer is giving you the 2D sonar reading? The short answer is that it probably doesn’t matter. 2D doesn’t necessarily show you what’s directly under the transducer within inches. Even with 2D set to a narrow beam, in 20 feet of water, your 2D sonar is reading about 4 feet on either side of the transducer.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Thanks guys! I should clarify: When speed jigging I idle around with my 2D on. No Side imaging. I know to some it dosen’t matter if your bait is a few feet off but if possible I always like to get that jig right in front of their faces.

I understand your question now. If you want to know which SI transducer is used to display your 2-D signal, one way is to look at the ends of your R/L SI splitter cable. The side that is transmitting the 2-d signal should have more female leads than the other side.

I like your precision…

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Don’t over think this.

Drop your jig and see where the return is the strongest.

Depending on drift, strongest return location varies.

I’ve been running two si for quite some time. Just drop it where it shows best. Should take less than 5 min on water to figure out.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

According to the humminbird website the 2-d, DI, and temp will all be on the starboard side transducer.

reddog

This ^^^. Right side if all cables are connected properly.

Chris
    Finger Lakes, NY

Thanks alot guys! Appreciate the digging.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.