Two more weeks to Grouse!

• LabDaddy1

My dog gets an oral flea and tick med monthly, as well as Lyme vaccine/boosters. But I still worry when I find so many deer ticks embedded in her. Am I just thinking too much? Feel like I’ve heard of dogs still getting sick(some dying) even with all the preventative measures in place…

I generally try and pull as many off of her as soon and as often as I can, but I do notice the ones I find a day or two later are dead and “dried” up when I pull them off. Does this mean the medication is working correctly? And if so should I not be as worried about pulling them off? The way i see it is “better safe than sorry.”

Reef W

but I do notice the ones I find a day or two later are dead and “dried” up when I pull them off. Does this mean the medication is working correctly?

I believe all the oral ones just kill the ticks after they bite. Some of the topicals, like Vectra 3D, also repel them. Dogs have a Lyme vaccine so I think just killing them before they burrow in too far is working as expected.

LabDaddy1

Thanks reef.

I should also mention they’re mostly “nymph”/youngin deer ticks; not too many full size/adults. I’ve heard they are less of a concern than the adults, which kinda makes sense.

I’m up here right now and only pulled 50 or so off her today. So slight improvement. Lol.

AS FAR AS HUNTING REPORT:

saw less grouse today than two weekends ago. Maybe 4-5 all day with one killed. Saw roughly 25 woodcock and killed my daily limit of 3.

Great dog work with the exception of not being able to call her off here and there when she’s birdy(she has more drive than I do patience for training). She retrieved every bird flawlessly.

I love her so much- she is my world, my girl, and my best friend. And she is a badass!!!! Nice cuts under both eyes and a couple good bleeders on her muzzle, not to mention overheating. She rocks. Here’s a pic of her from today:

Attachments:
    1. 5FE16960-9AD4-4D91-A785-516989698C35-scaled.jpeg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I got one late fri and one sat morning. Saw 8 total. A few while driving. Missed a chip shot daydreaming. My old girl made a great retrieve from a thicket. It always amazes me when I drop one out of sight in super thick cover where I can’t see the bird or the dog and she pops out on the trail with a bird in her mouth. She also retrieved a muskrat at the cabin that got shot. Man does she love fur. Oh and the ticks were brutal where we hunted sat morning. 37 degrees while hunting did not stop them.

LabDaddy1

Nice, Suzuki. Got to love good dog work. Amazing what they can do with their noses.

I also missed a perfect chip shot after the dog made a beautiful flush doah Grouse have a way of flustering me that no other birds, including pheasants, do…

How many ticks did you pull off the dog and yourself? I myself probably picked 150 off of her in a day and a half of hunting. Picked maybe 8-10 off of myself. Here’s a pic from after 2.5 hrs of hunting Sunday:

Attachments:
    1. CB9FA9F2-2CD9-4097-9E20-DB23CD633FE3-scaled.jpeg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would guess 60 or so? I did it in two sessions with my wife holding the flashlight. And I only took them off her head. I dont see many past that so I just spray her with some old flea and tick stuff I have to take care of those.

Gitchi Gummi

How many ticks did you pull off the dog and yourself? I myself probably picked 150 off of her in a day and a half of hunting. Picked maybe 8-10 off of myself. Here’s a pic from after 2.5 hrs of hunting Sunday:

Have you tried permethrin for protecting yourself? I’ve picked a bunch of my dog the last couple weeks but have yet to find one on myself. I treat my entire hunting outfit with permethrin a couple times a season. No thank you to the Lyme.

LabDaddy1

Yeah, I spray permethrin on my boots/socks/pants. Don’t really like to go any higher up with it. It does work well, though.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Spent a day in the forest with Gerty who just turned eleven. Went 3 for 3 on grouse which is a really good outing for me!
    Gerty flushed two of them (possibly inadvertently rotflol )
    Hard to beat a day in the woods with the pooch!

Attachments:
    1. 20211031_143117-scaled.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Spent a day in the forest with Gerty who just turned eleven. Went 3 for 3 on grouse which is a really good outing for me!

That’s awesome! Were you up in the Bunyan, or did your driveway grouse have friends over and you crashed the party? rotflol

CaptainMusky

I was shocked by the amount of grouse we saw when up over MEA for the youth firearm season. My son flushed 5 in one group and we saw others sitting in the trees when we were waiting for deer to come by. The group of 5 had to be one brood as they were NOT very bright. One landed on a branch right in front of my son’s face LOL

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>

That’s awesome! Were you up in the Bunyan, or did your driveway grouse have friends over and you crashed the party? rotflol

rotflol The Bunyan! Haven’t seen Gary the grouse in a few weeks.

You coming up this weekend for deer opener?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

e Bunyan! Haven’t seen Gary the grouse in a few weeks.

Yup, my brother and I will be up Friday evening. Stop in for a beer, or meet you at the muni!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>
    e Bunyan! Haven’t seen Gary the grouse in a few weeks.

Yup, my brother and I will be up Friday evening. Stop in for a beer, or meet you at the muni!

Meat raffle!

Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.