Two more weeks to Grouse!

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I repeat, two more weeks to Grouse! yay

IceManBran

Might venture into the woods for the first time. I see them everywhere when camping up north. Are they as dumb as I think they are? Seems like you can almost walk right up to them.

What shot size? And is it feasible to hunt them without a dog?

Reef W

Might venture into the woods for the first time. I see them everywhere when camping up north. Are they as dumb as I think they are? Seems like you can almost walk right up to them.

What shot size? And is it feasible to hunt them without a dog?

They’re pretty dumb but flying fast surrounded by trees is still tough. Probably better off without a dog unless you can keep your dog close at all times. I usually use 7.5 shot and a skeet tube, they are very fragile so it doesn’t take much.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Same here. No dog usually BUT my pointer and I have worked out a pretty good game plan under the right conditions. 7.5 shot 20 ga for me. The dumber they are, the better eating they are.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Where are we at in the population swing? Is this supposed to be a good year?

Reef W

Where are we at in the population swing? Is this supposed to be a good year?

Low. “The 2021 statewide survey results for ruffed grouse were 1.3 drums per stop. The most recent peak in 2017 was 2.1 drums per stop. During the low point of the cycles, counts are typically about 0.8 drums per stop.” Despite the survey I’ve heard and seen a lot by me this summer.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have seen few by my cabin in NW Wis but then again there are never high numbers there. Or spotty at best. Not counting early season siblings you can run into making it seem like the area is teeming with birds. Im going to run one of my best coverts this weekend since there will be cool mornings so my dog can handle the practice. Ill find out what the numbers are there.

bigpike

Meanwhile the Do Nothing Right group is giving our grouse to Missouri. Once again collection trucks from Missouri in the area taking what they need in exchange for what? Some crap picking buzzards known as turkeys? Or maybe a free tour of the arch in St Louis. Either way the kick back isn’t worth the pillaging.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Bigpike, they are relocating approx. 100 grouse from Wi to MS. To me that’s a 100 birds that won’t get popped from an ATV or truck, and a negligible number at that. I think that is a great use of resources. The wild turkey came back and thrived from management plans like that.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Bigpike, they are relocating approx. 100 grouse from Wi to MS. To me that’s a 100 birds that won’t get popped from an ATV or truck, and a negligible number at that. I think that is a great use of resources. The wild turkey came back and thrived from management plans like that.

Agreed!

That said, I always get excited for grouse opener but that usually last for about 10 minutes into my hunt when I can’t see a thing!

I love mid to late Oct grouse hunts when the leaves are gone and the temps have dropped.

bigpike

Ok. How bout you give me your location so the DNR can move the 100 grouse for the future years are taken from your haunts. I think I’ve seen enough of the Missouri guys around here.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hopefully the hunting is not too good. I have 2.5 boxes of shells and there aint no more……I’m on two waiting lists for my brand. If it gets tight Ill have to shoot something other than Remington Express.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hard to argue the management part though I hope they dont take them from any of my areas! smile But saving 100 birds from poaching is a stretch. Out of those 100 birds captured I doubt very much an even small percentage would have been taken that way. I don’t see people shooting from vehicles and I have spent and spend a fair amount of time out there. Where are you hunting that such a huge problem like that exists?

Gitchi Gummi

I heard more drumming in my next of the woods this spring then I can ever remember, at least as far as recent years go. I’m looking forward to getting into the woods for opener. If there is any positive to the drought this summer, it’s that leaves and foliage will drop earlier than usual. Lots of trees have already started changing color and even some have dropped in my neck of the woods. It may make the first part of the season a little more successful for some hunters compared to a “normal” year.

Good luck everyone!

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I see 10 road hunters to the one wing shooter up in the Superior National Forest. I guess that is just my experience and maybe unfair to lump Wisconsin in that category. I would imagine the Management plan isn’t taking 100 grouse off the same 1000 acre parcel either. All im saying is the DNR doesn’t do much right, but in this case of conservation I can’t imagine not supporting it. To each their own

bigpike

I repeat, two more weeks to Grouse! yay

Sorry to hijack Suzuki. I am excited about the season as my Gsp will be in his third year hunting and hes just a pleasure to hunt with. Bring on the season- bring on fall!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m seriously impressed by hunters who can consistently bag grouse. Seems like 95% of the time I flush one, I don’t even see it. Much less get off a reasonable shot. I usually just hear a whirr of wings and they’re gone. doah

Reef W

Seems like 95% of the time I flush one, I don’t even see it. Much less get off a reasonable shot. I usually just hear a whirr of wings and they’re gone.

That’s why you ground swat ’em from an ATV lol

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Road hunting does not mean shooting from vehicle. Two entirely different things. Let’s at least be accurate. If you see birds on a two track and drive on to hunt another area instead of hunting there then good for you. If harvesting birds is not your thing, great. As long as we are all having fun, legally, then there is nothing to argue about.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Really hopeful I will be able to walk some grouse spots up north this year. Had a year off last year and I do miss it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I haven’t been to my favorite spots in MN for two years. Mostly because of Covid and expenses. I still am able to enjoy it in wi but look forward to getting back to MN to hunt. I have lived through some incredible bumper years in my life, both in MN an Michigan and hope to see them again while I am able.

Gitchi Gummi

I choose walking over riding a wheeler/SxS/vehicle 10 times out of 10. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a guy leap frog me on a trail with a wheeler, only to walk another couple hundred yards and subsequently flush and shoot a bird that the guy just drove by. Grouse can be dumb, but my experience is a lot of times they will hold tight in cover just off the trail if a wheeler is coming their way. Yes if you come down the trail and they are standing out in the open, they’re a sitting duck. But my experience is guys on wheelers have a much lower flush to miles covered ratio compared to walking. Granted, the wheeler is obviously covering more ground. I get my enjoyment from having my boots on the ground and shooting birds on the wing.

Last year I walked just under 100 miles grouse hunting, had 160 flushes, and harvested 34 grouse. I usually average around 1.5 flushes per mile walked. Sometimes I will walk a 5 mile loop and not kick up a single bird, other times I’ll flush 5 birds in a 1/4 mile stretch. The key is walking slow, taking time to completely stop and pause every now and then, and having a good close working dog who knows how to use its nose. Birds will get nervous if you randomly stop walking and pause, and then they flush. It also gives your dog more time to work the cover if they’re acting birdy. Also, when you do flush a bird, take a minute and observe the cover they were in. Take a mental note on the type of cover and make a point to seek out that same cover further down the same trail.

Good luck to everyone on this upcoming season! There is nothing like grouse hunting. The smell of gun powder on a cool fall morning and hearing that grouse flush is what life’s all about!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I choose walking over riding a wheeler/SxS/vehicle 10 times out of 10.

This is me too. I’d much prefer to walk in the woods (or fields) than drive around on a trail.

I understand that some people would simply rather do the opposite though. That’s perfectly fine as long as its legal.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

The key is walking slow, taking time to completely stop and pause every now and then, and having a good close working dog who knows how to use its nose. Birds will get nervous if you randomly stop walking and pause, and then they flush.

Also, make sure you’re in a position to shoot when you make those pauses. Not always easy to do in thicker cover. Without a dog I’ve developed a habit of not trying to take a hand off the gun to clear away stems/branches in order to move forward. I try to take more side steps or zig-zags while moving thru cover to improve the odds of a better shot when a bird flushes.

Gitchi Gummi

Also, make sure you’re in a position to shoot when you make those pauses. Not always easy to do in thicker cover. Without a dog I’ve developed a habit of not trying to take a hand off the gun to clear away stems/branches in order to move forward. I try to take more side steps or zig-zags while moving thru cover to improve the odds of a better shot when a bird flushes.

Great advice! I try to keep both hands on my gun and finger on the safety at all times.. I swear its always that one minute you take your 2nd hand off that you get a flush. Being ready for a shot is 90% of the battle when it comes to knocking birds down.

Reef W

I don’t even own an ATV, was just making a joke. Maybe it’s just around the Isabella area where I used to go but there were very few people without one and I don’t believe that they were all (or even most) doing it legal and getting off.

Ever been to the Stony River Cafe? A couple times I heard Tom ask groups bragging about how many grouse they got that day “you shoot them out of the air?” and they don’t answer lol

mike mulhern

You don’t have to wait it opened in Montana yesterday. I’m headed that way for a week or more today. Grouse taste so good. good luck to all.

Mike

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Went out for a good walk with the dogs this morning. Was pleasantly surprised with both numbers and my young dogs performance. The old pointer was rock solid as usual. Only went an hour or so as not to push the old girl too hard. Id say we pushed around 8 birds and they were obviously nest mates. To be honest they were incredibly small. Hopefully they put on some pounds the next few weeks because I wont shoot them that size. Didn’t see any adults but then again I couldnt see every bird that flushed. Ill get more time to train this weekend and focus on hunting my young dog more. Her energy is endless. She went nuts when we got into birds and I had to drag her off the first ones. One “chicklet” sat on a lower branch right next to us and would not budge. It was quite comical. I talked to it then just left it alone! )

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

4 more days. I moved a few birds scouting some new areas last weekend. Think Ill stay close to the cabin then do my long range spots on the second weekend when Im up alone (ditching wife friend wedding jester )
    I have plenty of areas to try this weekend but most are marginal at best with bird numbers. On a positive note my pup made great strides last weekend. She started actually hunting more in the woods instead of burning up and down the trail. Its fun watching them mature. Just when you start to worry they dont have it a switch goes off and they go to next level overnight. She caught sent of a Grouse and tracked it 25 yards into the thick stuff for the flush. Fingers crossed but I have seen several signs that she may have a super nose. Now I just need to control it.

Brad Dimond

I’m on the other end of the dog age spectrum. My Springer was 10 in April, probably this year and next year as a hunter. Time to figure out the next dog.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.