Twins 2020

• tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Is Rosario really rated the worst defensive OF in baseball?

According to this metric, yes (and it isn’t even close). Out of all outfielders, Buxton finished 5th despite missing all that time, Kepler 16th, and Rosario 92nd out of 92. Twins OF combined for 22nd in the league despite having two of the top 16 outfielders.

As for the Twins infield (out of 218 players):
    Donaldson 18th
    Marwin 19th
    Sano 194th
    Arraez 206th
    Polanco ties for 217th

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outfield_outs_above_average?type=player&year=2019&min=q

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Holy crap, the Astros and the MLB have just botched this whole sign stealing fiasco.

Astro’s owner says, “yeah we got caught, but we don’t think the sign stealing had any impact on the outcome of the world series.”

MLB commissioner says, “I thought about vacating the title, but what would taking a hunk of metal back from the Astros really accomplish?”

In some ways, it’s a perfect microcosm for America right now. Have enough money and power, face no consequences for your actions!

I’m moving into the camp where I think the Astros should lose the world series title and just say there was no world series winner in 2017.

Also, one pitcher has sued the MLB over this, which could just open up a gigantic can of worms…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m moving into the camp where I think the Astros should lose the world series title and just say there was no world series winner in 2017.

I agree but I get a feeling that this whole sign stealing thing is much more massive than what we’re hearing about. I’d be very surprised if the Astros are the only team with this level of cheating. I think the MLB is holding back so that it doesn’t open the bigger can of worms. The MLB is well known for this.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>philtickelson wrote:</div>

I agree but I get a feeling that this whole sign stealing thing is much more massive than what we’re hearing about. I’d be very surprised if the Astros are the only team with this level of cheating. I think the MLB is holding back so that it doesn’t open the bigger can of worms. The MLB is well known for this.

Completely agree with this. However I don’t believe teams were doing it to the extent that the Astros were. Sign stealing during a game has been there since the beginning. But not with cameras and video monitors zooming in on signs and catchers or buzzers under jerseys. I’m so sick of the whole thing. I can’t wait for the start of the season so they all can start getting plunked every game. How backwards is that by the way. Commissioner protecting the cheaters and if anyone beans them they’ll get a bigger punishment than the cheaters. What spineless commissioner we have. Personally I’d love to see the players police this themselves. It’d make for a really fun season.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

However I don’t believe teams were doing it to the extent that the Astros were. Sign stealing during a game has been there since the beginning. But not with cameras and video monitors zooming in on signs and catchers or buzzers under jerseys.

But that’s my point, I’m betting more teams are in on this which is why the MLB is reluctant to do anything about it.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    However I don’t believe teams were doing it to the extent that the Astros were. Sign stealing during a game has been there since the beginning. But not with cameras and video monitors zooming in on signs and catchers or buzzers under jerseys.

But that’s my point, I’m betting more teams are in on this which is why the MLB is reluctant to do anything about it.

I’m not convinced. It’s not cheating to steal signs in a normal non-tech aided fashion. That’s what I’m trying to say. People steal signs all the time by watching the catcher while they are at second base, trying to figure out the pitch calls by watching whoever is relaying the signs to the catcher. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. But I’m not convinced the whole league is using cameras, buzzers, and other technology. Maybe a few teams.

But who knows, crazier things have happened.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m not convinced. It’s not cheating to steal signs in a normal non-tech aided fashion. That’s what I’m trying to say. People steal signs all the time by watching the catcher while they are at second base, trying to figure out the pitch calls by watching whoever is relaying the signs to the catcher. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. But I’m not convinced the whole league is using cameras, buzzers, and other technology. Maybe a few teams.

But who knows, crazier things have happened.

I 100% agree with you. If you are going to give a sign (without technology of course), you should be able to steal it ( without technology).

Some of the videos I’ve seen. The opposing players were well aware that the dugout was stealing signs. If the opposing players knew, then the opposing coaches knew, management knew, even the fans had to know. How did this go on so long?

FryDog62

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>moustachesteve wrote:</div>
    Is Rosario really rated the worst defensive OF in baseball?

According to this metric, yes (and it isn’t even close). Out of all outfielders, Buxton finished 5th despite missing all that time, Kepler 16th, and Rosario 92nd out of 92. Twins OF combined for 22nd in the league despite having two of the top 16 outfielders.

As for the Twins infield (out of 218 players):
    Donaldson 18th
    Marwin 19th
    Sano 194th
    Arraez 206th
    Polanco ties for 217th

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outfield_outs_above_average?type=player&year=2019&min=q

As bad as Rosey is, can you imagine what the numbers would be for Delmon Young or Josh Willingham? Heck, if those two guys played catch someone would get killed..

Hoyt4
    NULL

The players union is part to blame with no punishment.The Commissioner had to make a deal and that was the only way. I think a better deal could of been done and I’m guessing he does also after all this backlash.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Cruz got beaned in live BP today (he’s fine). Wonder if he was wearing an Astros cap?

papaperch

Prediction from a diehard Tribe fan. Look for Twins biggest headache to be the Chisox . The Tribe has not done much to add offensive help.

The Tribe had an average at best offense last year. Elite pitching and good fielding only went so far. Any line up that has Allen in the outfield is in question. His defense is awesome as well as his competitive spirit. He cannot hit MLB pitching period.

Unfortunately he is not the exception in the outfield. Lindor and Santana were the only two players that maintained reliable offensive production the entire season. Ramirez came on strong in the 2nd half last year. The length of his slump really concerns me though.

Not too many teams compete for a divisional crown with only two steady offensive weapons.

FryDog62

Prediction from a diehard Tribe fan. Look for Twins biggest headache to be the Chisox . The Tribe has not done much to add offensive help.

The Tribe had an average at best offense last year. Elite pitching and good fielding only went so far. Any line up that has Allen in the outfield is in question. His defense is awesome as well as his competitive spirit. He cannot hit MLB pitching period.

Unfortunately he is not the exception in the outfield. Lindor and Santana were the only two players that maintained reliable offensive production the entire season. Ramirez came on strong in the 2nd half last year. The length of his slump really concerns me though.

Not too many teams compete for a divisional crown with only two steady offensive weapons.

Who knows how competitive either the Tribe or Twins will turn out to be in 2020… but

My bias was the Twins were a better regular season team in 2019, but the Indians with their superior pitching and defense would have gone farther in the playoffs. Might have still lost to the Yanks, but also might have won 1-2 games in the process.

Add/develop some offense and the Indians could still be a force this year.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Grab your lawn chairs boys! Twins beat the mighty Gophers 16-0 yesterday! lol

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Man it’s great to have baseball back on TV, even if it is meaningless. I’m so tired of watching the Wild and having to listen to never ending circle of Vikings chatter. Can it be the regular season already???

On a side note, Nelly Cruz went yard this afternoon in his first game of the Spring.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Agreed, great to have the game back. Hopefully by July they are done talking about the Astro’s.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

On a side note, Nelly Cruz went yard this afternoon in his first game of the Spring.

On a second side note, Maeda gave up a HR on his 2nd pitch as a Twin. devil rotflol

BDR

Looking forward to the season. Fills the gap since my kids have moved on from the ball fields.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Man it’s great to have baseball back on TV

Absolutely. I watched a bunch of scrubs from the Cardinals and Marlins yesterday! Just glad to have baseball back.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

On a second side note, Maeda gave up a HR on his 2nd pitch as a Twin. devil rotflol

And then dominated in the second inning….I’m guessing he will be one of their best starters this season.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yanks just lost Severino for the season to Tommy John. That is good news for whoever plays them in the postseason. Although they still have Cole, Paxton, and Tanaka……

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

You never wish injury upon a guy, but if it’s gonna happen to any team…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Two games, two HR for both Cruz and Trevor Larnach. He is impressing a lot of people already this Spring. 2018 first round pick. I’m guessing he’ll start in AAA. Nice to see some young guys putting together a good Spring.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Larnach could step in when Cruz is done at DH unless the fat kid flops at first.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Larnach could step in when Cruz is done at DH unless the fat kid flops at first.

I was kind of hoping they’ll work him out in left field so he can step in there when they trade Rosario and a prospect for an impact starter at the deadline. whistling

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Why would anybody give up a “impact” starter for Rosario? I like the kid and he isn’t that bad a player but to get anything close to a “impact” starter you will need to sweeten the pot a bit more than a prospect.

Just look at what a impact starter gets paid these days. Nobody is giving one of those guys up unless they are becoming a free agent at years end. I’m not sure you want to be dumping a starter (Rosario) and a couple prospects on a rental.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Why would anybody give up a “impact” starter for Rosario? I like the kid and he isn’t that bad a player but to get anything close to a “impact” starter you will need to sweeten the pot a bit more than a prospect.

Just look at what a impact starter gets paid these days. Nobody is giving one of those guys up unless they are becoming a free agent at years end. I’m not sure you want to be dumping a starter (Rosario) and a couple prospects on a rental.

Depends on the prospect in my opinion. And I would dump Rosario in a heartbeat for a rental. With the offense this team has he is COMPLETELY expendable. I would’ve been fine with the Twins trading him away for Maeda even.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Well of course it does, but it also depends on what the other team wants. Plus you have to remember we are talking about the Twins here. I think they would be more inclined to trade major league talent and plug their own prospects in where they have more control time. I can see them shopping Polanco before to long. Buxton has a chance to get shopped. All the reserve outfielders plus Rosario if they believe Kirloff is close.

Anyway it will be a interesting summer and hopefully they play well.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Larnach will stay in A for now. He has a sore shoulder and they are tying to fix his throwing motion. Also he is very young he was drafted in 18 and is only 23 so they need to fix him now. Is’t it nice to have some depth in the organisation.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Larnach will stay in A for now. He has a sore shoulder and they are tying to fix his throwing motion. Also he is very young he was drafted in 18 and is only 23 so they need to fix him now. Is’t it nice to have some depth in the organisation.

He played 40 games in AA last season. He is not going back to A ball. His sore shoulder is minor and it’s an easy fix to his throwing mechanics.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Well of course it does, but it also depends on what the other team wants. Plus you have to remember we are talking about the Twins here. I think they would be more inclined to trade major league talent and plug their own prospects in where they have more control time. I can see them shopping Polanco before to long. Buxton has a chance to get shopped. All the reserve outfielders plus Rosario if they believe Kirloff is close.

Anyway it will be a interesting summer and hopefully they play well.

While I think you’re right with Polanco I’m not sure they’ll do it in the near future. Lewis really struggled last season and Nick Gordon just plain isn’t the answer. So I think they might be a little hesitant to move Polanco until Lewis proves himself a little more. Polanco’s bat is his strength. It sure isn’t his defense.

Viewing 30 posts - 631 through 660 (of 1,393 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.