what a 24 hours it has been!

• erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

It all started yesterday afternoon….I had to work in the office until 5 and had a sneaking hunch I knew where a large group of Tom’s were roosting and hanging around everyday as of late. It is a large 3 mile by 2 mile section with a 100 acre woods and a large creek bed that goes through it with standing oaks. In the middle of all that is the only cornfield last fall in a 3 mile radius that is not visible from the road and in the middle has a 1 acre standing oak plot!! The big woods is an old cattle pasture so the underbrush is thick to put it mild! So with that said I wanted to get a ground blind set up last night in the neck down area so I could view the entire woods edge and overlook the creek bottom. Well let’s just say I never did get up there to set up the blind. My season lasted a whopping 9 minutes. We had just crossed the high creek when above us on the tree line 3 different groups of gobblers were going CRAZY at the crows flying around and 1 set of birds was just on the other side of me and this island of oaks!!!!! We quickly tucked into the brush without time to set out a decoy or anything and first set of calls I was cut off and second try once again the entire place went crazy! I shut up on the call for what seemed like way to long and they gobbled again and I had a visual and they were slightly angling away. I laid out a couple long purrs and the rest was history. For 10o yds it was strut and gobble strut and gobble until they were 10-15 yds and I laid out the lead bird. Left bird was a longer beard but thin and the right was a 24 lbs. 9 1/4″ thick bearded tom. It was a quick hunt but one I won’t soon forget. So as we walked back joking about how that all went down I said let’s do a drive around the section and the number of birds we saw was unreal. Without thinking twice i told my buddy Dan his boy was hunting before school tomorrow.

Friday morning: Little to no sleep we had decided we would set up near a point I last saw 3 toms walk right by 45 minutes before sunset the night before banking on they would be near in the roost. We were set up and up against a tree around 5 AM to be sure not to spook any birds near us. The birds started roaring around 5:20 this morning and I can honestly say we were surrounded by 15+ Jakes and Toms including a group of Jake’s I saw the night before that had 9 or 10 in the group. Right at 5:40 a hen came off the roost into the alfalfa field and was LOUD from the second she landed! I knew it was going to be a game of get a birds attention ASAP to avoid losing the battle to her. At 1 time I could see 8-10 fans of strutted out birds in the next 10 minutes and thats when it all went down. 1 of the dominant birds in the group had noticed my 3/4 strut jake fan I had set up behind a jake decoy with hen in front of it. With a couple putts and a long purr he was coming and coming fast. He closed the gap from 200 yds+ to 75 in very little time and put on a 10 minute show. He finally got within 35-40 yds and seemed to start getting a little nervous at the decoys and I gave the green light and Drew smacked his 2nd bird in 2 years and first Tom with 1” spurs 9 ½” beard and 22-24 lbs I would guess! Congrats to him as he loves sitting out there and made a hell of a shot once again! I have to say he has put the itch back into me hunting these birds hard like I used to in college just knowing he loves learning the game and I enjoy watching and showing him just like I once did as well.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

This is awesome to read. Congrats to you both.

devel

Gotta love when it goes down accordingly! There is nothing like a big ole tom coming in on a string! Good Job Fellas!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Seems like from year to year you guys are always on birds. Lots of action and plenty of puttin’ the hammer down! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Joel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.