Sierra’s 1st Turkey!!!

• scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Sierra shot this turkey at 10 a.m. this morning! This is her 1st as she is only 10 years old. She hunted last year also but we were shut out, missing one and not finding another. She was determined to make it happen this year!

After going to bed early last night she woke up pretty easily around 5 this morning with the excitement of getting a day off of school hunting turkeys with dad. Well turned out she made it in to school by noon bringing in a few feathers and the beard to show all her friends. I bet there was some jealous boys this afternoon!!

Very slow morning to start, not one gobble. We set up on a new spot a little while after sunrise but nothing going there either.

At this point her belly was rumbling and it was off to GMA’s for a little breakfast. We were back in the original blind by 9:15 only to still not hear any response to our calls. Time to kick back, the turkeys had been there everyday so I knew they would come.

At 10 or just after, I heard walking in the woods behind us and out walked a hen about 15′ from the blind. As we watched her, we heard another turkey coming. This came just after I had asked her if she wanted a jake or would like to wait for a tom. She said since it was the first she would be happy with anything.

Well sure enough it was a young Jake that stepped out not 30′ from the blind! The rest is history, one shot and her 1st of many turkeys to come!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I can only imagine how proud you are today Scott. Walk tall and keep the chest puffed out! What a great day!!!

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Hi this is SIERRA!! I’m so excited about my first turkey!!!

This rocks worth the waking up at 5:00 a.m!!

LOVE one of the biggest tomboys Sierra!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Soon you’ll be calling in birds for your Dad Sierra!!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Congrats to both of you thats A great Dad that gives the kids the outdoor experience

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Very happy for the both of you, and proud of her for sticking to it. Those sits in the blind can be long, but the reward is well-worth the wait. Congrats again on the bird Sierra!

Joel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.