Strutters in the Snow

• mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Time to get out in the Northwoods and get after the snow birds… Buddy Jim got his first Northwoods tom yesterday a.m. right off the bat at sunrise. He wasn’t even able to get his first coffee pee accomplished before the tom came in!!! He spent a little time afterwards checking his road and was able to call another bird in 45 minutes later.

On my way to Mercer this a.m., I saw a strutter with six hens in the ditch on Highway 51. Then I called my turkey hunting buddy to tell him and he told me that he had seen his first tom yesterday a.m. strutting in da middle of the road!!!

So another thing to keep in mind now that they are strutting in the snow is to locate a clean area where these birds will set-up to strut. It seems like they want dirt under their toes…

Good luck and get after them!!!

Mark

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I was up to Central Minnesota last weekend getting setup for turkey hunting next weekend. Your are correct. Lots of toms strutting all over but mostly ON the roads and In the ditches. All our normal Fields are covered with 18-24″ of snow and the birds are not anywhere near them. With more snow in the forcaste tonight and Wed. it is going to be a tough hunt. I hope our area dodges this next round of snow and the 60’s forcasted for Friday and Sat. Can clear the snow by Sun. or Mon.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.