Keegan’s 1st Bird!!!!!

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’ve never used one before…I may have to check out these “nets” you speak of…

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

I started the season off hunting the A season with my grandpa. The birds were around but just did not cooperate. I tried hard to get him a bird but it just didn’t happen. But we had a gd time together and found a few morels. My gf’s son Keegan (age 10) started showing a interest in going with turkey hunting. So we found the 20 gauge that fit him the best and headed to the range. He did really well shooting and said it felt good. I couldn’t wait to get him out and try to get him a bird!! This morning finally came and we were in the blind by 5:30. There was some gobbling early but it stopped as soon as the bird hit the ground. At about 7:30 a hen popped out and clucked around us for about 45 min and then circled behind us in the woods. Then about 8:45 she pops back out and crosses us at 20 yards. After she passes this gobbler comes out about 30 seconds behimd her silent. He see’s the decoy and immediately he’s in full strut purring and putting on an amazing show!! So Keegan gets all ready. I hit te call and he gobbles and sticks his head way out to get a better look and I tell him to take him. BAM he flops over . Ow man I think I was shaking as bad as him!!It was so awesome and he is definately hooked!! This was his first hunt ever The Bird weighed 21lbs 3/4″ spurs Double Beard 8.5″ & 4″ I’m pretty sure its the same bird in the trail cam pic.
    Good Luck everyone,
    Justin

waterfowler99
    Midwest

Tough to top that 1!!
    Tell him congrats!! Nice work

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Congrats on a great hunt and nice work getting the little hooked

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Awesome job Justin ! A hunt you both will remember for a long long time

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Love it!!! Thank you for introducing another young person to the great sport of hunting.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

A few more pix

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Congrats – That is a great Bird – Great picture as well.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Justin:

Great pictures, and an even better story. That first bird and all the theatrics will be lazer-etched into his head for all the years to come. Thanks for sharing and investing your time into his season, his hunt, and his experience.

Good luck for the rest of your seasons, and thanks for sharing!

Joel

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

man, those are some huge shrooms

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

It just doesn’t get much better than that! Big congrats to Keegan and kudos to you Justin for introducing him to the wonderful world of turkey hunting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.