Dont Ever Quit Early

• illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

Struck out on first spot by passing on two jakes.
    Was heading toward home at 10:30 but thought I cant quit this early on opening day, so I headed for another patch of woods.
    Parked truck, walked 50 yards and hit a call, struck a gobble and 15 minutes later this guy bit the dust.
    25 pounds, 9 1/2 beard and 1 1/8 spurs.
    Hope to add more details later, but I am on vacation, its a beautiful day and a frosty cold one is calling my name…

lick

Nice Job

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

big bird congrats

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Nice bird!

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Good One Congrats

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Thanks for sharing! Also very good advise on not quiting early. Some people might think the game is over after the morning hunt but in a lot of cases, that’s when the best hunting begins!

SteveHuettl
    South Metro

Congrats on a very heavy bird!

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I like the afternoons more,(I still hunt all day) but when the hens slip away (late morning to early afternoon) to nest, the toms are on the cruise .

It seems I hear the toms start gobbling around 1:00 again while on the cruise, Not quite as loud but I hear them and then either try to bring them my way or jump on the horse and get after them

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

Quote:

Some people might think the game is over after the morning hunt but in a lot of cases, that’s when the best hunting begins!

i need to go through my journal and come up with some stats, but i have shot a lot of toms between 10 a.m. and quitting time at 1 p.m.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s a great tom! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Got mine at 5:49 p.m. and had one located during scouting that without the wind or desperate I would have considered as well. Talked to another bud whose wife was within 10 yards on her first hunt after 2 p.m. this past Sunday, but wasn’t able to seal the deal, but was really impressed with her first northern bird getting so close so hot!!! He also said they had two gobbling at 7, but they were not interested.

Mark

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

GREAT JOB! and your right>never quit early! I was bummed this morning that a big boy wouldn’t come out and play, but I stayed at it and dropped a 15# Jake this afternoon….Just have to keep working them! Don’t let them work you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.