Benelli Nova 20 gauge for Turkey hunting

• LadyLuck1
    Sparta WI

Do any of you have the Benelli Nova 20 gauge for Turkey hunting? What are your thoughts? Looks like a Turkey choke is sold for that gun. Looking at possibly buying a new Turkey gun. Saw this one at work (Gander) and liked the looks. Let me know.

alanmdk

Twenties are all the rage in the turkey marketplace these days. With all the the new shell/choke combo’s out it’s very likely that you’ll achieve a great pattern right out to 45 yards. Last year we got the little guy a youth 870 with a super full choke (.570) and we polished the barrel. That little gun puts 95-115 in a 10″ @ 40 yards, more than enough to kill a Long Beard.

CW

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

There’s alot of 20’s out there, and like Chris said, more and more people are using it for turkeys than ever before. A big reason, in my mind, is because of the hevi-type non-tox ammo out there. Especially when dealing with less overall payload in terms of pellets, it pays to have these harder hitting (and better patterning) varieties on your side. It also costs. Big $’s. I justify it by the thought that I can kill 10 turkeys with one box if I shoot straight. That’s alot of hunts! You’ll spend far more on gas and everything else just getting out there.

Depending on the gun, they like to be choked a bit less as they’re harder than lead, but something in the ballpark with what Chris used should be fine.

I will say however, that I’ve shot some lighter 20’s (like synthetic Stoegers, benellis, and youth model 870’s) that kick as hard or harder than my browning auto. Kick only hurts at the range……you don’t feel a thing when you’re out there!

Joel

LadyLuck1
    Sparta WI

I have always used a 20 gauge with much success. I currently have a Remington 870 express 20 gauge. It is been a super gun for me for the last 16 years. Last year was the first time I had issues with it but I think it needs to be taken completely apart and cleaned and make sure nothing is broke. But when I was working Sunday at Gander I was looking at the fun Camo guns and have always heard that Benelli’s are a good gun. Might be fun to start the new year off with a new gun for Turkey season.

blush
    Maple Grove, Minnesota

I think that you deserve to get a new gun for this season

(and some new camo pants, a new jacket, boots, face mask, etc. etc. )

Seriously, if you do decide to buy the gun, I will be very interested to see how you like using it. I still haven’t decided on one for my own. I have been using Brad’s gun but at some point, want to get my own.

little_g
    durand WI

Blush get the benelli M2 field semi auto 20, very sweet gun.

lick

Quote:

I think that you deserve to get a new gun for this season

(and some new camo pants, a new jacket, boots, face mask, etc. etc. )

Seriously, if you do decide to buy the gun, I will be very interested to see how you like using it. I still haven’t decided on one for my own. I have been using Brad’s gun but at some point, want to get my own.

I believe she ordered it last night and im sure I dont have to pay for it

And she doesnt need any MORE camo

LadyLuck1
    Sparta WI

I haven’t ordered my gun yet. Is the M2 better? Is it quite a bit more expensive? I pay for all of Gut’s things so he should pay for mine right? Blush…..I like the way you think!!!! You can never have too much camo.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I haven’t ordered my gun yet. Is the M2 better? Is it quite a bit more expensive? I pay for all of Gut’s things so he should pay for mine right? Blush…..I like the way you think!!!! You can never have too much camo.

Girls talking smack…ya gotta love it!

little_g
    durand WI

Well if Gut is paying for it then does it really matter how much it cost.
    Yes it is but its light and not a lot of kick, in my opinion probably one of the best guns ever made although it is a little expensive. If you want to shoot one I can probably hook you up.

LadyLuck1
    Sparta WI

Well I put in my request for a Benelli M2 Field 20 gauge. Just have to get it approved then the order will go through. Thank you for your opinions! it is on backorder but they are thinking there might be another shipment in a couple of weeks. I have heard it takes awhile to get from Benelli but it should be here before my turkey season.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats on your decision Lori! Please provide us an update and a review once it arrives and you’ve had a chance to field test it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.