B SEASON TURKEY IN THE WIND

• norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Woke up this morning, wind howling and drizzleing. Great!!! Even though I put a really nice gobbler to bed last night my confidence was anything but good. But I was up and ready. I had to walk almost a mile across a newly planted corn field to get to my spot where I needed to set-up. The roost was about a hundred yards to the southwest of my “spot”. I was set-up and waiting way before sunrise. As daylight started awakeing the woods I was anticipateing a gobble. Nothing! As i was starting to dought my “spot” I heard a distant gobble from the southwest. I desided to pick-up and move 50 yards to a more open area closer to the gobble before it got any lighter. When i got to my new “spot” I let out a few yelps.Nothing! A few more. Nothing! I started to think maybe the goobler spotted me on my move. I waited about 5 minutes before I let out a yelp and purr. Still nothing. I figured he was long gone and figured since I screwed this gobbler up I would pack up and go to another area down the creek line where another group of birds usually roost.I figured before I stand up and move I better take one more look around. As I looked over my right shoulder there he was standing less that 10 yards in full strut displaying his stuff! I about died! Since I’m right hand shooter I knew I’d have to move the gun to shoot left handed. As I was doing this he un-puffed and stook his head- neck straight up. Damn!! As he started walking, he went behind a tree. This was my chance! I quickly got the stock to my left shoulder and focused on the bead. As he walked from behind the tree I placed the bead at the base of his head and BOOOM! It weghed 25 lbs had a 10 inch beard. Only one foot had a spur of 1 1/8 inches. I’ve shot alot of gobblers but this one was probably the sneakiest and the most memorable. Now thats fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

So was that the bird you originally put to bed the night before? Sneaky little buggers aren’t they? Congrats on your bird!

lick

congrats on getting a sneaky bugger

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Congrats on your hunt, it can happen fast. Would love to see some pics.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Ya that WAS him. Totally amazeing bird. It was like he was hunting me this morning. Well he found me. HaHa!I’ll post pics later.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Here’s a couple of pics of the sneeky one I shot this morning.No….. the turkey’s the one with feathers.

lick

nice didnt recognize you with your shirt on and no grass carp to hold on too

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

THEM GRASS CARP MAKE ME ALOT OF $$$.

coppertop
    Central MN

Congrats on your tom!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats norseman! Your “10 yards at full strut – I about died” comment made me laugh out loud!

Did you have to wash your underwear when you got home?

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Close! it was one of the most exiteing moments I’ve had turkey hunting though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.