Nebraska Turkey Hunting

• walleye4383
    Waterloo, IA

A friend and I are thinking about a trip to Nebraska to chase some longbeards around the Valentine area. I was wondering if anyone has hunted in the area and would have any tips. Is there much public land in the area? Are landowners easy to find and receptive to hunting?
    Thanks.

dcolsen
    Linwood, MN

I hunted right around Valentine two years ago and we shot several birds. We saw a lot and got permission pretty easily from the landowners. Its a great area down there with a lot of birds. We knocked on three doors and got permission at all three but only needed to hunt two spots.

kurtkid
    South metro

I hunted North of the Nebora river near Valintine most folks will give permission. There is some public land. Lots of Birds

walleye4383
    Waterloo, IA

What time of the year did you guys hunt, early in the season or later? Are there cheaper hotels in the area or is tent camping an option?
    Thanks.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Some public land in that area, though the largest concentration of public land with good turkeys in NE is the NW panhandle of the state. The Chadron/Crawford area has an abundance of national forest land, and it’s more like a Black Hills Hunt to be honest with you, similar terrain. Lots of birds, but becoming more and more popular every year as NE is an OTC license state.

Valentine has more birds, but you’ll be knocking on doors more than likely. Have hunted both, and preferred Chadron for a shorter trip, Valentine for a longer one where you can scout and ask permission for 1/2 day or so.

Go the bow season if you have the option. You’ll get a crack at them before anyone else, and esp. on private land in the Valentine area, your odds are decent with a bow in-hand.

Joel

dcolsen
    Linwood, MN

We went early in the year with our bows. Went down a day before the season opened and did some scouting and located a bunch of birds. We planned on simply camping but ended up getting about a foot of snow. I can’t recall the rates for the hotels but if I remember right they weren’t bad

walleye4383
    Waterloo, IA

Does anyone know of a good place to get maps of the area?

bustumup

You can get a sportsman’s atlas at any of the sporting good stores, or you might check nebraska’s game & parks web site they might have online maps of public areas. I have been bowhunting down there every spring for the last 10 years and it’s a blast. Good luck!

WindyRidgeLabs78

I am heading to the Santee Indian Res in the NW part of the state to hunt. Will be using a bow, I have heard alot of good things about Neb.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to In-Depth Outdoors WindyRidgeLabs78!!!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Just like Steve said, here’s a fat WELCOME!

I’m excited to hear about how your hunt goes this spring. Never done a reservation hunt in NE.

Joel

WindyRidgeLabs78

I am pretty excited myself! I have talked with several people who have hunted this res. I even spoke with their local CO that said to get down there and shoot some of the birds, he said they are everywhere!!! Ill be going to Neb a week after I hunt here in MN near Winona. Should be a excellent April!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.