Preference numbers

• koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Can someone give me details on how the points system works in Minnesota?

I didn’t get a tag for the third year in a row. My preference number is 3. It was 3 last year also.

I know this has alot to do with what area and how many people apply, but 4 years to get a tag????

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

You get 1 point for applying and lose all points if you are drawn. So in your case you have 3 points now, and when you apply next year you will have 3 points carried over and gain 1 for applying totaling 4 going into the draw, if you get drawn you’ll drop back to 0 and if you don’t get drawn you’ll carry 4 points over.

It took me 3 points to get drawn for 343A. You need to take a look at the number of applicants vs the number of permits issued for the zone and time period you are choosing. I’m guessing you are putting in for one of the first 2/3 seasons which are tough to draw anywhere in the state without 3/4 points. You’ll get drawn next year. After that, if you want to hunt turkey’s every year I would suggest applying for a later season.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

You get 1 point for applying and lose all points if you are drawn. So in your case you have 3 points now, and when you apply next year you will have 3 points carried over and gain 1 for applying totaling 4 going into the draw, if you get drawn you’ll drop back to 0 and if you don’t get drawn you’ll carry 4 points over.

It took me 3 points to get drawn for 343A. You need to take a look at the number of applicants vs the number of permits issued for the zone and time period you are choosing. I’m guessing you are putting in for one of the first 2/3 seasons which are tough to draw anywhere in the state without 3/4 points. You’ll get drawn next year. After that, if you want to hunt turkey’s every year I would suggest applying for a later season.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.