Decoy discussion.

• whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

How many birds have you taken with a decoy(s) out vs. w/o a decoy(s)?
    Me personally, I’ve taken 9 w/o a decoy and 3 w/decoy. Of the 3 with a decoy all were jakes. I’ve also called in 7 other birds that have been shot by friends, 2 of the 7 were with decoy and the rest w/o. I prefer having the bird seek out where the call is coming from vs. giving them a visual. Also, the majority of the birds that were taken were from mid to late May, so that adds a bit to the equation.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I HAVE SHOT 5 WITH AND 2 WITHOUT, BUT I DO PLAY IT BY WHAT TIME OF THE YEAR AND IF THE BIRDS ARE OUT BY THEMSELVES OR FLOCKED UP, IF I AM HUNTING A FIELD I WILL HAVE AT LEAST ONE OUT (HEN) , I FEEL I CAN CUT DOWN ON THE CALLING A LITTLE IF THEY SOMETHING TO ZOOM IN ON,AND LATE IN THE SEASONS I LIKE TO PUT A JAKE DECOY OUT WITH A HEN, THE LAST TWO TOMS I SHOT CAME IN AS A PACK OF 3 TOMS AND A PACK OF 4 TOMS, AND THEY WANTED TO KICK THAT JAKES A$$.BOTH TIMES WHEN I SHOT MY BIRD (THE BIGGEST) THOSE OTHER BIRDS STARTED KICKING MY BIRDS A$$ THAT WAS PRETTY COOL TO WATCH.

BUT WHEN HUNTING IN WOODS I USUALLY DON’T PUT OUT A DEKE, I FEEL A LITTLE LEARY EVEN SO I CAN SEE MORE THEN 70 YDS ON A LINE WITH THE DECOY, AND IF VICE PRES CHENY WAS EVEN IN THE STATE OF WI (WHICH WE KNOW HE WOULD NEVER BE)I WOULDN’T PUT OUT ANY, ANYWHERE.

TURKEY HUNTING = WHEN YOU HAVE DECOYS OUT YOU THINK YOU SHOULD NOT AND VISE VIRSA.

STILL A BLAST

CLUCK CLUCK BANG

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I HAVE SHOT 5 WITH AND 2 WITHOUT, BUT I DO PLAY IT BY WHAT TIME OF THE YEAR AND IF THE BIRDS ARE OUT BY THEMSELVES OR FLOCKED UP, IF I AM HUNTING A FIELD I WILL HAVE AT LEAST ONE OUT (HEN) , I FEEL I CAN CUT DOWN ON THE CALLING A LITTLE IF THEY SOMETHING TO ZOOM IN ON,AND LATE IN THE SEASONS I LIKE TO PUT A JAKE DECOY OUT WITH A HEN, THE LAST TWO TOMS I SHOT CAME IN AS A PACK OF 3 TOMS AND A PACK OF 4 TOMS, AND THEY WANTED TO KICK THAT JAKES A$$.BOTH TIMES WHEN I SHOT MY BIRD (THE BIGGEST) THOSE OTHER BIRDS STARTED KICKING MY BIRDS A$$ THAT WAS PRETTY COOL TO WATCH.

BUT WHEN HUNTING IN WOODS I USUALLY DON’T PUT OUT A DEKE, I FEEL A LITTLE LEARY EVEN SO I CAN SEE MORE THEN 70 YDS ON A LINE WITH THE DECOY, AND IF VICE PRES CHENY WAS EVEN IN THE STATE OF WI (WHICH WE KNOW HE WOULD NEVER BE)I WOULDN’T PUT OUT ANY, ANYWHERE.

TURKEY HUNTING = WHEN YOU HAVE DECOYS OUT YOU THINK YOU SHOULD NOT AND VISE VIRSA.

STILL A BLAST

CLUCK CLUCK BANG

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’ve started turkey hunting back in 2000 and have gotten a bird every year…5 have been with decoys and one without! 2 have been with just a hen decoy and three have been with a jake/hen combo. The year I shot the one without a decoy, they wanted nothing to do with them for some reason! But other than that time, if they see the decoys, they are coming in! But that has been my experience! And for the record, I usually get the 2nd season. I’ve also done some calling for friends of mine and two birds were with a decoy/decoys and one was without! I wouldn’t go to the turkey woods without them! If I had to take just one out, I would take the jake hands down! He seems to get those toms all fired up!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’ve started turkey hunting back in 2000 and have gotten a bird every year…5 have been with decoys and one without! 2 have been with just a hen decoy and three have been with a jake/hen combo. The year I shot the one without a decoy, they wanted nothing to do with them for some reason! But other than that time, if they see the decoys, they are coming in! But that has been my experience! And for the record, I usually get the 2nd season. I’ve also done some calling for friends of mine and two birds were with a decoy/decoys and one was without! I wouldn’t go to the turkey woods without them! If I had to take just one out, I would take the jake hands down! He seems to get those toms all fired up!

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Started hunting them back in the 80’s and more than 35 birds have been either killed by me or a friend I was guiding. Most with decoys. The ones that don’t want anything to do with your decoys are usually sub-dominant birds who fear it may be the kingpin – or they already have a harrem and boss hen wants nothing to do with additional competition and leads them away from you. In most cases a good looking hen deke will help more than hurt. My favorite is henrietta – by flambeau – hard body. Somewhat of a pain to carry around but you get used to it and it is a superior profile everytime – no jerky movements. Unsure if they still make them but if you can find one I can whole heartedly recommend them. Get an olive green mesh laundry sack to carry it in to avoid Chenney type assaults! Incidentally – henrietta carries around a few pellets in her mellon from being too close to the gob when a friend put down his first bird right next to her – never seen a guy shake so much as him before he shot! Hunt safe. Chuckles

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Started hunting them back in the 80’s and more than 35 birds have been either killed by me or a friend I was guiding. Most with decoys. The ones that don’t want anything to do with your decoys are usually sub-dominant birds who fear it may be the kingpin – or they already have a harrem and boss hen wants nothing to do with additional competition and leads them away from you. In most cases a good looking hen deke will help more than hurt. My favorite is henrietta – by flambeau – hard body. Somewhat of a pain to carry around but you get used to it and it is a superior profile everytime – no jerky movements. Unsure if they still make them but if you can find one I can whole heartedly recommend them. Get an olive green mesh laundry sack to carry it in to avoid Chenney type assaults! Incidentally – henrietta carries around a few pellets in her mellon from being too close to the gob when a friend put down his first bird right next to her – never seen a guy shake so much as him before he shot! Hunt safe. Chuckles

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

The decoys I carry now are Feather Flex, but like you Chuckles, I have Henrietta…but I like to refer to her as the “LOVE” decoy! She has taken most of the toms because she is so realistic looking. She is a pain to carry, but boy do the gobblers love her! I may have to take her out again this year!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

The decoys I carry now are Feather Flex, but like you Chuckles, I have Henrietta…but I like to refer to her as the “LOVE” decoy! She has taken most of the toms because she is so realistic looking. She is a pain to carry, but boy do the gobblers love her! I may have to take her out again this year!

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

We’ll be trying a mounted hen decoy in MO this year, I can’t wait to see what the reactions will be on that. April can’t come soon enough.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

We’ll be trying a mounted hen decoy in MO this year, I can’t wait to see what the reactions will be on that. April can’t come soon enough.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I hear the big rage this year for decoys is the Carry-Lite Pretty Boy Decoy. I’ve seen it in action on Knight-n-Hale’s tv show! Too bad they cost $100….I guess I’ll stick with what’s working for me!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I hear the big rage this year for decoys is the Carry-Lite Pretty Boy Decoy. I’ve seen it in action on Knight-n-Hale’s tv show! Too bad they cost $100….I guess I’ll stick with what’s working for me!

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I’ve always gotten a kick out of bucks chasing doe’s in the fall but there is nothing funnier then a spring gobbler(s) courting a hen.
    Night and Hale got some great footage using the Pretty boy/girl decoys didn’t they.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I’ve always gotten a kick out of bucks chasing doe’s in the fall but there is nothing funnier then a spring gobbler(s) courting a hen.
    Night and Hale got some great footage using the Pretty boy/girl decoys didn’t they.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Yes they did. My brother and I video all of our hunts…it’s a great way to remember hunts and fishing trips! We have some great moments during turkey hunting!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Yes they did. My brother and I video all of our hunts…it’s a great way to remember hunts and fishing trips! We have some great moments during turkey hunting!

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

I use Carry lites, I usually use 3 of them(2hen,1jake) but last year the toms were shy of them until I started using a hen I spray painted a darker color by herself. I’ve taken 4 over, 2 without. Have you guys seen those stuffers that are in the DB blind videos? I was watching one in Scheels and the tom was ah well you know.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

I use Carry lites, I usually use 3 of them(2hen,1jake) but last year the toms were shy of them until I started using a hen I spray painted a darker color by herself. I’ve taken 4 over, 2 without. Have you guys seen those stuffers that are in the DB blind videos? I was watching one in Scheels and the tom was ah well you know.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Calley(spelling) Morris, the taxidermist from Missouri and H.S. pro staffer makes awesome stuffers, thats what we are going to try in Missouri this spring.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Calley(spelling) Morris, the taxidermist from Missouri and H.S. pro staffer makes awesome stuffers, thats what we are going to try in Missouri this spring.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.