Use of dogs for Turkey Hunting

• cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

I’ve just found out that WSC. is trying to approve the use of dogs for fall Turkey hunting.I wonder has anyone in MN. Requested this? I think we should it would be asome to bring my lab along

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

How would you use dogs, and more importantly,why?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

How would you use dogs, and more importantly,why?

hgeren
    NE Minneapolis

Holy cow I never thought I would hear about this again. I saw a hunting show about this very thing a few years back. I told some people about it and they still think I’m nuts for bringing it up. It all looked pretty silly to me while I was watching it. I guess it originated in Appalachia of all places. The guys that were using them were calling the dogs Appalachian Turkey Hunting Dogs like they were a special breed. After watching the show I still dont know exactly wha tthe dogs purpose was. The dogs looked like your standard coon hounds to me. The guys would let them go barking all over the place, follow the dogs to the supposed turkeys if they were still there and not crapping all over the place from the barking herd of dogs, zip the dogs up in a scent proof bag with their head sticking out and sit there all day waiting for the turkeys to come back. Goofiest thing I ever saw. Me and my one buddy that saw the show with me still give each other crap about gettin one a ’em appalachian turkeh huntin dawgs.

hgeren
    NE Minneapolis

Holy cow I never thought I would hear about this again. I saw a hunting show about this very thing a few years back. I told some people about it and they still think I’m nuts for bringing it up. It all looked pretty silly to me while I was watching it. I guess it originated in Appalachia of all places. The guys that were using them were calling the dogs Appalachian Turkey Hunting Dogs like they were a special breed. After watching the show I still dont know exactly wha tthe dogs purpose was. The dogs looked like your standard coon hounds to me. The guys would let them go barking all over the place, follow the dogs to the supposed turkeys if they were still there and not crapping all over the place from the barking herd of dogs, zip the dogs up in a scent proof bag with their head sticking out and sit there all day waiting for the turkeys to come back. Goofiest thing I ever saw. Me and my one buddy that saw the show with me still give each other crap about gettin one a ’em appalachian turkeh huntin dawgs.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I’ve had bird dogs flush turkeys many times out of thick pheasant cover. They make a little more noise than a pheasant does when they flush. I never really gave much thought to hunting turkey in the fall with bird dogs but it would certainly add to a pheasant hunt. I think I would need to get a much larger game pouch for my hunting coat.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I’ve had bird dogs flush turkeys many times out of thick pheasant cover. They make a little more noise than a pheasant does when they flush. I never really gave much thought to hunting turkey in the fall with bird dogs but it would certainly add to a pheasant hunt. I think I would need to get a much larger game pouch for my hunting coat.

Eyehunter

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

I’ve watched a few shows about this also, only for fall hunting. They would locate a large flock of turkeys. They would then send any kind of dog that you could train to flush the flock wild. It worked best if the birds flew in all directions. Then they would put the dog away, sit down and try calling them back in mocking a BOSS hen. I guess what ever works. Whatsa

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

I’ve watched a few shows about this also, only for fall hunting. They would locate a large flock of turkeys. They would then send any kind of dog that you could train to flush the flock wild. It worked best if the birds flew in all directions. Then they would put the dog away, sit down and try calling them back in mocking a BOSS hen. I guess what ever works. Whatsa

davec
    St. Paul MN.

In the old days this was the way they hunted down south.
    Labs where the dog of choice,the dogs would flush the turkeys then the dog and the hunter would sit down then call the birds back.
    This was the tradittional way to hunt turkeys,I for one am intrested in almost any way to get dogs into the feild more.

davec
    St. Paul MN.

In the old days this was the way they hunted down south.
    Labs where the dog of choice,the dogs would flush the turkeys then the dog and the hunter would sit down then call the birds back.
    This was the tradittional way to hunt turkeys,I for one am intrested in almost any way to get dogs into the feild more.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Quote:

zip the dogs up in a scent proof bag with their head sticking out

What would be the purpose of this ? Its not like a turkey would smell the dogs.

I really don’t think this type of hunting will be approved. It would lead to many wounded birds. Hell you would almost have to have a sidewinder missile to knock one of these bullet proof A-10’s out of the air. Its hard enough to get a head shot on the ground, but to do it on a flushing bird would be foolish.

bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Quote:

zip the dogs up in a scent proof bag with their head sticking out

What would be the purpose of this ? Its not like a turkey would smell the dogs.

I really don’t think this type of hunting will be approved. It would lead to many wounded birds. Hell you would almost have to have a sidewinder missile to knock one of these bullet proof A-10’s out of the air. Its hard enough to get a head shot on the ground, but to do it on a flushing bird would be foolish.

bird

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Why knock someone else’s passion about it? It is already legal in 22 states.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Why knock someone else’s passion about it? It is already legal in 22 states.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I wasn’t knocking it…. I was just stating an opinion !

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I wasn’t knocking it…. I was just stating an opinion !

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

I dont think the dog flushes the Turkey and then you shoot it out of the air.The dog is suppossed to scatter a flock then you put the dog away and call the bird/birds back to you.Remember this is fall hunting not spring mating season!

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

I dont think the dog flushes the Turkey and then you shoot it out of the air.The dog is suppossed to scatter a flock then you put the dog away and call the bird/birds back to you.Remember this is fall hunting not spring mating season!

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Flushing them and calling them back would be alright. I don’t see any problem in that. But what is the deal with putting the dog in a scent proof bag ???????

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Flushing them and calling them back would be alright. I don’t see any problem in that. But what is the deal with putting the dog in a scent proof bag ???????

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

I think one of the reasons they want to make it legal is if you are out small game hunting with your dog you cant shoot a turkey. I dont really see an advantage of using a dog for fall turkey hunting. But I think it would be nice to be able to go out small game hunting with your dog and if you see a turkey you would be able to shoot it. There would be a few more turkeys shot in the fall and more license sold. Im all in favor of allowing dogs for turkey hunting.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

I think one of the reasons they want to make it legal is if you are out small game hunting with your dog you cant shoot a turkey. I dont really see an advantage of using a dog for fall turkey hunting. But I think it would be nice to be able to go out small game hunting with your dog and if you see a turkey you would be able to shoot it. There would be a few more turkeys shot in the fall and more license sold. Im all in favor of allowing dogs for turkey hunting.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Very good point! It would just be a good excuse to get out and exercise the dog and if you bumped into a Turkey or a flock it wouldnt be illegal to shoot one.Because the law states no dogs can be used in the aid of Turkey hunting.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Very good point! It would just be a good excuse to get out and exercise the dog and if you bumped into a Turkey or a flock it wouldnt be illegal to shoot one.Because the law states no dogs can be used in the aid of Turkey hunting.

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

I have had my german shorthair point many turkeys while pheasant hunting in the fall. It would be very easy to shoot the turkeys once they are pointed. The turkeys act just like a pheasant when pointed, they stay tight and duck down till u get close. It is really neat but scares the hell out of you when a turkey gets up right beside u when u are expecting a pheasant

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

I have had my german shorthair point many turkeys while pheasant hunting in the fall. It would be very easy to shoot the turkeys once they are pointed. The turkeys act just like a pheasant when pointed, they stay tight and duck down till u get close. It is really neat but scares the hell out of you when a turkey gets up right beside u when u are expecting a pheasant

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.