Turkey Jerky

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’m thinking if I get a turkey this spring I’ll see if I can make jerky out of him. Are there any processors in the metro that offer this? Any experience with it?

Thanks buddies!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I would just process my own. A Dehydrator works best but I’ve done my own on a pellet grill as well as a Oven. Same recipe as for beef jerky. The finish time on Turkey is less than with beef.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you ask me this is about the only good way to eat a wild turkey. I have had them cooked many different ways and did not care for any of them much. I tell people you could turn a skunk into jerky and it would taste fine.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have had them cooked many different ways and did not care for any of them much.

Same. Tried a number of routes and they are always just blah. Not terrible, just not very good either though.

Luckily I’ve found a home for mine the last 2 years so I don’t have to worry about choking it down. grin

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The turkey sticks and Jerky I have had all are pretty lame. I grind and make all our birds in to breakfast sausage, much happier that way.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have a buddy who Breads them and then deep fry’s them like fish. That was probably the best I’ve had. Mostly because of the breading he used.
    The Jerky I’ve made out them has been Good. But once again because of the seasonings added to it

haleysgold
    SE MN

Cut the breast in strips about 3/8″ thick.
    Egg wash and roll em in crushed saltine crackers.
    Fry em in butter, a lot of butter.
    Season to taste.
    Turns out very tasty.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ll give it a try Haleysgold. Worth a shot if I can get one.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Turkey is one of the best meals to have. I have turned people who will not eat wild game to loving turkey bites on the grill. Mr Tim Kisch (Sticker) made a great Turkey cordon Bleu but changed out with Pepper jack cheese another that does not stay around for left overs.

I’ve made turkey bites with Cajun shore lunch also very good. Cut into slice and marinade with lemon pepper liquid great on the grill so many ways that this taste great.

Ill have 6 to 8 birds this spring and they will not make the fall these are the most asked for meals from our group of friends and family BBQ and summer fishing trips as the main meals.

Smoked bird is really good i have not tried the jerky yet but do not want to waste it on that. I’ll use scraps of venison made into burger to make jerky.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I will never understand it. I read these posts and my hair turns blue and my testosterone drops significantly and I get incredibly triggered.

Turkey if brined and smoked to 155 at a low temp setting, or even grilled or fried, is the best wild game out there. To say it is a tough bird, or too dry speaks to the cook and not the meat.

I’ve said my peace and will go back to my corner.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Some love it. I’ve tried it many different ways. Just not for me. Then again I’m not much of a fan of domestic turkey for that matter.

Brad Dimond

I use a dehydrator with a teriyaki marinade. Cut turkey in to 1/4 inch thick strips. Marinate in equal parts soy sauce (not lower sodium variety), pineapple juice and brown sugar; add powdered ginger and garlic to taste. Marinate overnight. Dehydrate until the strips feel like leather. Do not over dry.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I will never understand it. I read these posts and my hair turns blue and my testosterone drops significantly and I get incredibly triggered.

Turkey if brined and smoked to 155 at a low temp setting, or even grilled or fried, is the best wild game out there. To say it is a tough bird, or too dry speaks to the cook and not the meat.

I’ve said my peace and will go back to my corner.

I don’t turkey hunt, but feel the same way about venison, ducks, goose, pheasants etc. All of them are awesome if prepared correctly imo.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Just a note so that no one has a severe “T” drop, I messed up the first turkey I ever got as far as cooking. All the rest have been great. Turkey schnitzel and turkey soup are my go to. I just want to try jerky because I’ve heard good things and tried some that I really like.

Gerty

Cut the breast in strips, wrap the strips around chunks of cheese and maybe a piece of jalapeno if you like that. Then wrap that in bacon, soak Lawry’s Caribbean Jerk marinade for a few hours and grill. Best ever. Also had the breaded turkey strips mentioned above. Also very good.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I just marinade my breasts, chunk them up, put on skewer, and grill to perfection. I prefer wild turkey to almost any other game bird out there. I think most people overcook them, leaving them rubbery and off tasting. When grilling, it’s about 3-4 minutes a side and then off the grill, not too long. Just make sure your charcoal is hot when you drop them on, and get the grate hot so it sears the bird. Juicy and delicious. I usually have my mom and dad over when I do it, and sometimes there’s not much left to bring in once dad and I do our quality assurance inspection grin The wife and mom were waiting this year for us to get done and when we came in, I had to make some burgers to augment the lack of turkey. whistling

super_do
    St Michael, MN

I’ve made this Meat Eater Turkey Breakfast sausage a few times. Very good and fairly easy to make. I’ve also made some very good white chili with the legs and thighs.

Attachments:
    1. Turkey-Apple.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.