TUCR panfish rods

• Dr. Pomoxis

I watched James smacking bluegills this AM using a TUCR fusion. I’ve been looking at Quicktip, Bullwhip and the Fusion. I typically fish light spoons or tungsten jigs for crappies, but I’m usually fishing 30-40 feet deep. I’d like to get a bullwhip, but worry that the deeper water might be tougher with that rod? Any thoughts on which of these you’d recommend?

Thanks!

Dylan Salow

A buddy and I fish a quarry pond which is just over 40 at its deepest. Typically we are in the 30-40 ft range and we both use Bullwhips mainly. We’ve never had a problem landing fish with them I actually love that rod for that setting. Fishing that deep the fight is always fun with the walleye and bluegill and with the Bullwhip’s backbone I’m always confident when I put that lure down the hole with it. With that being said I just got the Fusion so am anxious to see how that performs out there as well! IMO I don’t think you can go wrong with the Bullwhip waytogo

pharmfisher

deeper water will not be a problem. The bullwhip has a great backbone. I switch from a precision noodle to a bullwhip in deeper water.

Dan Baker

The Bullwhip is my most used TUCR rod. The tip will not be overloaded in deep water and there is a ton of backbone for the fight. With that said, I was able to prototype the Fusion last year and it is fantastic to feel light bites. I use it for spoon fishing crappies, and small spoons for walleye. Both ar great rods, but if you mainly fish tungsten, go with the Bullwhip.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

What they said.I have all three of those rods.I don’t think you can go wrong with the BW.I got second one along with the Fusion this year.It’s the only one I want to use day in and day out.

riverruns
    Inactive

When you guys are talking spoons can you show a picture? I’m mostly backwaters Mississippi river and fish smaller ice jigs for bluegill. Will above rods work well for those jigs as Well? Thanks. Shawn

Ryan Wilson

BW for the win! It really is a fantastic versatile panfish rod. Small spoons all the way down to 3mm tungsten although 5mm works the best. I use mine exclusively for 5mm tungsten jigs (I use another rod for spoons only because I have it, the BW handles them just fine though). I don’t think you’d be disappointed.

Dan Baker

When you guys are talking spoons can you show a picture? I’m mostly backwaters Mississippi river and fish smaller ice jigs for bluegill. Will above rods work well for those jigs as Well? Thanks. Shawn

I can’t seem to get the pictures figured out, but on my fusion I run spoons up to 1/8 ounce, 1/16 is what I consider small. If you mainly fish small lead ice jigs, the Precison Noodle from TUCR would be the best bet. The Bullwhip is perfect for tungsten jigs.

Dr. Pomoxis

Thanks guys for the info. I was reading on the TUCR website that Quicktip can be used for deeper crappies. Can anybody give me a comparison of the QT and BW?

tucrs
    NW Metro

Qt is Carbon Vs the bullwhip being glass.

Qt you will not be able to see up bites as easily because it is stiffer for the diameter of the rod. I like a bullwhip better for crappies because they have a up bite more often. But aggressive ones when I am using spoons the QT is my go to.

If that helps.

Dan Baker

I personally prefer the action and versatility of the fusion over the quick tip. It is my go to spoon rod for crappie.

Juan Gomez

I have the QT and I love it. It’s a versatile rod and I’ve been able to feel the subtlest of bites with it.

I’ve been waiting to get my Fusion, but all the reviews have been great so far!

Chris Harer

I also got to fish the fusion during the prototype time and I tell you, its the real deal.. perfect all around rod for many applications.. I used it for panfish, bass and even hooked up with nice pike.. handled it quite well and I wasn’t able to put it down… 1/8 oz is optimal weight for the fusion.. you cant go wrong..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.