TUCR Bullwhip Vs Quick Tip

• Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

What are the main differences between these rods? I know one is carbon and one is glass. Does the QT just have more of a backbone and not as much of a noodle tip? Just curious what you guys that have used them have to say. Thanks!

CBMN
    North Metro

I am not an expert as I have a QT now and a Bullwhip on order but this is what I think is correct, and I think others that know more will input also:

Bullwhip is fiberglass (sight indication)
    QT is graphite (sensitivity indication)

Brennon Nielson

I too am in the same dilemma. I am getting a Precision rod as my main go to trout rod and am wanting to get a second rod to target mostly perch but potentially catch some smaller trout on at the same time. Im leaning towards the bullwhip but is the bullwhip gonna be able to handle smaller trout or am I gonna be better off with the quicktip?

Sorry for so many questions. It’s just alot of money to drop on rods that u have never felt and r ordering off people’s opinions. Thanks in advance for any info!!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

What size/type of trout are you targetting?
    I pair the rod for the bait I’m using more than the type of fish. I will use the TUC noodle for small jigs against stream trout, but I think the bullwhip would be better suited for the task. For spoons in the 1/32-1/8 oz range I’m firing with the QuickTip. And for jigging raps, 1/8+ spoons I use the precision.
    The precision also works well for lake trout when using lighter tackle, but I prefer the LTP for lakers so I can play them in faster and have better chances of safely releasing these slow growing beautiful monsters! The QuickTip can be used as both a feel rod and a sight rod as the fast tip will show trout strikes with ease, as well as send a signal to your palm that it’s game time!

tucrs
    NW Metro

Quicktip is graphite so it is a feel rod and designed to fish more aggressively. Personally this is my perch rod with spoons and aggressive crappies. The backbone is very stout on this rod to give you a quick hookset.

BW is glass so it is more of a sight rod with a yellow tip to help visually see the bite. I use this for almost everything now from tungsten to 1/16 oz spoons. Really versatile rod with a great backbone

Brennon I would get a Bullwhip because you are getting the Precision then you have a feel and sight rod. The bullwhip tip is pretty light but it has a really good backbone.

Brennon Nielson

Thanks for the input Ben and John! I’ve been leaning on the bullwhip and u just reassured that! Thanks a bunch! Can’t wait to get it coming. I’m gonna order it next week.

Ben I’ll be targeting mostly perch with my bullwhip using small jigs but the lake I fish perch at is mostly populated with stream trout. Mostly rainbows and splake and when fishing for perch u almost always catch smaller trout too so I just wanted to make sure the bullwhip would handle them fine. It’s a way fun lake! It’s got a wide variety! U can catch trophy lake trout (40lbs+) rainbows, splake, browns, tiger trout, they just introduced kokanee salmon, it has a few tiger muskie and loads of perch!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Sounds like my kind of lake! It would be good to follow John’s advice with a bullwhip/precision, you’ll have your bases well covered. With the size the lakers get in that lake, you may end up going back for an LTP too!

Brennon Nielson

LTP? I haven’t seen that one on their website?

tucrs
    NW Metro

LTP will be going up on the site soon then later. )
    Lake Trout Pike

Heavier pike rod / Laker rod.

mozy
    LQP

Can you get the TUCR with fly guides? I know a lot of people like the recoil guides, but to me is not worth the extra $30. I don’t see it listed as an option on the site?

tucrs
    NW Metro

You can get them with fly guides we don’t recommend it because really decreases the performance of the Bullwhip and Noodle type rods.

Brennon Nielson

Just sent my order off for a 32″ bullwhip! Now the hard part….waiting 4 weeks ( it’s gonna be a long 4 weeks!!

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I’m curious Mozy, but why don’t you like recoil guides? All of my custom ‘ice’ rods from Glacial Lakes Outdoors (Sorry John crazy ) have recoil guides. They are flexible, non-corroding, no inserts to break-out, they returns to original shape after repeated deformation and what I like most is that they don’t ice up.

I’m not sure I could bring myself to buy a custom ‘ice’ rod if it doesn’t have recoil guides. I’m not sure if there is another guide on the market that can compare to a recoil guide. Am I off-base John?

mozy
    LQP

It’s not that I dislike them, I just have a hard time believing they add 50% more value to a rod. The cost-benefit doesn’t add up for me. If they were a $5-10 upgrade, sure, I’d add them in a heartbeat. But at $30 extra, I think the fly guides perform just fine.

Plus, I can buy 3 rods with fly guides for the price of two with recoils.

tucrs
    NW Metro

No Steve, you are right on track.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Mozy I do see your point though. Just the lighter rods is where REC guide really make a big difference, when the weight is a factor. It you go to super lightweight fly guides they are not as durable as REC. That is one big reason high end fly rods use them.

Jeff Schomaker

You TUCR people are killing me! Haha. I can’t figure out what I want for a first rod. As soon as I decide what I want then I start thinking about length and wrap color and handle then by the time I get it all figured out I second guess myself and start over haha

Brennon Nielson

Jeff my best suggestion is send an email to one of the tucr guys, u can get their email on their website, and email them telling them the syle of fishing and target species and what not and they will make the best suggestions for u. That is what I did because I too had a really hard time deciding and I trust their judgement

Nicholas Stocker
    Lead,SD

Go to Mudhole.com and you can see why recoil guides add to the price of rods. They are not the cheapest guides.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.