Tube sand in pickup how much?

• mrpike1973

Ford f 150 4X4 Last year put 60# on each side above wheel wheel helped a lot then put another 60# on each side so both bags flat end for end but this seemed like to much if the truck slid a little it seemed to move to much. Just wondering what you all do. When I used 2 wheel drive trucks years ago used sand in buckets but it helped more for traction that driving Hee Hee

Coletrain27

I don’t see the point of adding weight in a 4×4. If you’re spinning or the roads are that bad just put it in 4×4. Just my opinion ???

I also haul all my ice gear in my bed in the winter and need all the room

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Some weight in a pick up makes sense to me because the back end is lighter than full size suvs. Like you Coletrain I usually have enough to not worry about it. I would say about a couple hundred pounds would be good, but would keep it all over the axle.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I dont know how much but I think its a good idea in any pickup.

Riverrat

In my old 2 wheel drive I used 240 lbs and it worked good. In my newer 4 wheel drive I put that in and swear it was pushing my truck around corners and sliding through stop signs more. Just different suspensions I guess. Now I just run her hard and dry.

Gitchi Gummi

I always have 2 in the back of my truck in the winter. I get the ones that menards sells, I believe they are 70 lbs. I prefer that over switching in and out of 4WD all the time. If the roads are bad, I’ll put it in 4WD but living on and frequently traveling on gravel roads, you’re always slipping a bit when taking off because the compacted snow is basically ice. The sandbags help a ton with that.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Between tools, hitches, straps, and other things I generally probably have ~100-200# in my bed even when “empty”. I’ve never had to load sand bags or more weight.

I think it’s viable if you travel in areas with an empty bed that are generally slippery (rural MN, gravel roads, and so on). If you are pounding the pavement in the metro/suburbs that’s treated beyond belief it’s probably a waste of time and energy to load more weight in your truck. Once those roads truly get covered with snow and compacted ice, it’s a full on storm and you’d probably be as well off running 4WD.

Riverrat

Hold on there Bucky, there’s places with clear roads in the winter? We just slam on the gas at the end of the road to clear a spot for the next guy at the intersection.

Bassn Dan

No need for sand bags – keep your gas tank at 1/2 to full. BIG improvement over running with a near empty tank and no sand bags, etc. taking up space in your truck bed.

Gitchi Gummi

Who keeps their gas tank consistently on E?

Even with a full tank, sand bags are a huge help, especially on gravel roads.

Musky Ed

Haven’t really thought about sand in the back as I have a cap and a heavy rubber mat in the bed.
    One thing I did add on the new truck last winter though, and that was a seal for the tailgate that stops rain and snow from entering.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

My solution is to bail out after Christmas and sit on the beach and fish in Texas until April. grin

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have a fiberglass topper so my weight distribution is very good on snow.
    That and I run snow tires in the winter. I have been preaching this for years. It doest cost much more in the long run. Mostly your initial investment to own two sets of tires at once.
    Then you can either buy the wheels or pay to have them swapped twice a year. Buying the wheels for the winter tires would be cheaper in the long run.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Here I thought I was probably one of the only people who still did this. I use 4 (240#), in a line between the wheelwheels. Whether it needs that much or not, it’s just how many I have (bought as weights to hold down some large pieces of wood I was gluing together). Last truck had a fiberglass topper that seemed to be enough weight by itself. The difference with/without is very noticeable, can’t think of a way to describe it but it’s a different ‘help’ than switching 4wd too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Keep your ice fishing gear under the tonneau. Frees up garage space and helps with some weight back there.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.