TSS loads and choke choices

• Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have traditionally used #5 lead turkey loads and am very pleased with the results. However, I am considering trying a box of TSS loads this year.
    Yes I will shoot a couple or more shells at a target, before heading out to hunt.

My question is, should I expect to change the choke constriction to accommodate the TSS pellets?

Jimmy Jones

Must have deep pockets. lol

I’ve been reading about the tss shot and patterning elsewhere and have seen mixed reviews. Another site, a muzzleloader site, has a thread running right now about it. I’ve seen some really nice groups shown given most of these front stuffers have very little or wide open choking. One of the most common comments is that the shot doesn’t stray much. I don’t know if that’ll help you any but the word is the stuff is great.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Must have deep pockets. lol

I’ve been reading about the tss shot and patterning elsewhere and have seen mixed reviews. Another site, a muzzleloader site, has a thread running right now about it. I’ve seen some really nice groups shown given most of these front stuffers have very little or wide open choking. One of the most common comments is that the shot doesn’t stray much. I don’t know if that’ll help you any but the word is the stuff is great.

So I gather you have no personal experience using TSS?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I tried a load of TSS last spring for turkey hunting because I had a previous batch of Winchester lead shot go bad. It was during the season I had and it was the only ammo the place had, so I bought some. It pulverized a tom at 30 yards – but I think just about any turkey ammo would work at that range.

The previous stuff I was using for several seasons was Winchester Longbeard XR. My range with that stuff was 60 yards. I had patterned it with #5 shot in 3.5 inch rounds.

I intend to go to the range and take a shot or two with the TSS rounds I currently have before turkey season since I did not have time to last year.

As Jimmy stated, its very expensive. I am fine with paying more for turkey rounds since I only shoot once all year (if I’m lucky of course).

Matt Sayer

I switched to the tss a couple years ago- In my SBE2 I use the same after market turkey choke (the jelly tube I think) and it patterned really well- dont even mess w/ the #7’s, use the #9’s, the pattern density is insane. Just picked up a 410 and patterned the tss#9 and a field load lead 7.5 in the extra full factory tube. The lead pattern was pretty so/so and spread out at 30yards (40ish ” circle) while the tss was really tight like a basketball at 30. My personal view is its awesome in the 410 or other sub gauges but not needed in a 12 other than to really extend your range

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

other than to really extend your range

What range would you estimate with your 12 gauge? That’s the part I could not get to last year that I need to get before the season this year.

Hunting24seven

I intend to go to the range and take a shot or two with the TSS rounds I currently have before turkey season since I did not have time to last year.

If you dont mind, what ranges let you shoot bird shot?

Matt Sayer

Gimruis- I can constantly kill at 50 plus. The loads certainly have the power beyond that but my pattern starts to wash out beyond 55 where its not a sure thing. A different choke may be able produce better long range results, but Im more than happy with 50. The only drawback Ive had is the number of pellets which at longer ranges are more likely to put some in the body- which directly resulted in some dental work (crown) 2 years ago…..those #9 are a lot harder to track down in the meat than a #5

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The last one I went to was in Blaine. Metro Gun Club. Its been probably 10 years since I needed to pattern a turkey load though.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Thanks for the info Matt.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I think tss patterns pretty tight being the pellets don’t deform at all. I’d start with a factory full or whatever aftermarket chokes you have that are tungsten safe. I know the standard patterning distance is 40 yards, but you might want to shoot a few different yardages depending on where you normally shoot your birds.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Bald Eagle in Hugo will let you. Don’t go on Tuesday/Wednesday or Friday nights in the summer as they will have HS and league trap/skeet. But they have a patterning board by the trap houses and anyone working behind the counter will probably help set it up for ya.

snelson223
    Austin MN

If you have questions on chokes you’ll want to check out Muller chokes. In the sporting clays and waterfowl world they are awesome. Jimmy Muller has a Facebook page and he has lots of videos and info.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.