Truck Topper

• diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

OK you truck guys. Pulled the trigger on a truck. Now looking at options on a topper. Never owning a topper before what do you guys see as pros and cons from your experiences. Anything to look for in a topper? My use of the truck is basically family truckster for fishing trips, everyday driving (until i get my wifes car for a beater in a few years), and family vacations. Normal stuff. Not heavy hauling or beating up a truck like Randy W :).

Thanks for any advice.

D

Forgot to add, any brand I should stay away from?

realtreeap10
    Over there

I’ve had a topper on all of the trucks I’ve owned. They can be great for many reasons but also have some limitations which are kind of annoying.
    Pros –
    Keeps the elements(rains/snow) off anything that in the bed.
    Fully lockable storage – not 100% theft proof but helps
    Can keep cargo in the bed year round
    More cargo capacity than an open bed
    Keeps the truck a little cooler

Cons-
    Limits the height of things you can carry
    Limits the access to the front of the bed(crawling in)-wing windows combat this
    Limit visibility out the back

These are just a few things I notice, I’m sure other can chime in.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I’ve owned two Silverados and gotten roll-up covers for both.

I would say for the roll-up covers you could just flip-flop the Pro’s and Con’s from realtreeap10.

Pros for roll-up covers:
    Keeps things out of the elements and somewhat protected.
    Easy roll-up, so if you need to haul something like a washer/dryer/furniture it’s no problem
    Doesn’t limit visibility

Cons
    Not secure (if someone really wanted something they could cut into it)
    Possibly vulnerable to elements, although I can’t say I’ve had any experiences where my gear got soaked.

I think between realtreeap10 and me we’ve listed a few things comparing two styles, you’ll just have to decide what you’ll be putting/keeping in your bed and which works best for you. I’ve loved having a roll-up cover.

Also, I know you didn’t ask for advice on any lining. I’ve always wanted lining and had meant to get it done, but then a friend recommended bed lining mats you can get from Fleet Farm. You go there and they have mats for your specific truck and they just lay in the bed of your truck. Thick and durable and hardly anything slides on them, stuff pretty much stays put. You can pull them out and hose them off if you want. I think mine cost around $85.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I love toppers! They’re just so functional. My ice fishing gear goes in before Thanksgiving and stays in there until spring.

The number one feature I couldn’t live without is side windows. They are worth every penny!

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

My first pickup had a topper, and while it was nice being able to lock things such as my portable, auger, etc. over night if necessary, my current truck has a tonneau cover and I don’t think I will ever be going back to a topper. However, this is completely based off of my needs, and could be completely different for yourself. Do you regularly haul things that are taller than the truck bed such as certain appliances, ATV/Sled, etc? If so, you would be looking at taking the topper off every time, which is do-able but can be a hassle, but if you don’t haul oddly shaped or large things semi-regularly then the topper might be the way to go!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I have a Tonneau cover and a Topper. I love the topper for winter time, I can store my ice fishing gear and Otter Lodge in the back all winter. I like the added weight for traction as well. I did buy a tailgate lock so I can lock both the tailgate and the topper.

The Tonneau cover is nice for in the summer, gives me storage and also a much better view for backing the boat in. Unfortunately the Otter will not fit under it.

I’m looking at an enclosed trailer for hauling the wheeler/snowmobile and the Otter Lodge, but will probably keep the topper on in the winter.

A bed mat makes it easier on the knees and keeps things from sliding around. I’m getting too old and bad knees to be climbing in and out of the back of the truck so the trailer will be nice.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have a Tonneau cover and a Topper. I love the topper for winter time, I can store my <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing gear and Otter Lodge in the back all winter. I like the added weight for traction as well. I did buy a tailgate lock so I can lock both the tailgate and the topper.

The Tonneau cover is nice for in the summer, gives me storage and also a much better view for backing the boat in. Unfortunately the Otter will not fit under it.

I’m looking at an enclosed trailer for hauling the wheeler/snowmobile and the Otter Lodge, but will probably keep the topper on in the winter.

A bed mat makes it easier on the knees and keeps things from sliding around. I’m getting too old and bad knees to be climbing in and out of the back of the truck so the trailer will be nice.

No icenuts I thought you decided on getting the toy hauler fish house instead of the enclosed trailer!!? Go BIG Buddy!!

Im a topper guy. Tonneau covers are nice (that is what I currently use) but you are limited by what you can fit underneath it. For that reason I like toppers. You can always remove them if you need to haul something large. I will say that a truck with a topper on it looks waaaaayyyy worse than a truck with a Tonneau cover though, if you are into aesthetics.

Stanley

Like icenutz I also have a topper and roll cover. The topper is great for hunting and ice fishing and I run the roll cover the rest of the year. I got a cheap aluminum topper years ago and have had it on 3 different trucks. The nice thing about the aluminum topper vs fiberglass is that the wife and I can put it on and take it off where the fiberglass you would need 3-4 people. Mines not pretty but very functional and I only paid $50 for it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Topper do look a little geriatric but they are soooooo functional. I have had both and I couldn’t live without one.

fishinguns
    Metro D, MI

I’m a huge fan of fiberglass tonneaus. They absolutely limit what I can haul in my bed, but I just throw anything bigger on a trailer that’s easier to load and unload compared to my truck bed, anyway. The fiberglass tonneau locks securely and thieves cant see whether I have anything back there worth breaking into it, like a topper. Easier to “see through” at night while backing up, too!

My truck is for hauling fishing equipment, guns, etc., and towing boats and trailers. It’s rarely used for actual work and I don’t drive it everyday. Oh, I think some fiberglass tonneaus look great, too!

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Thanks for the feedback guy. I had a 4runner so never hauled anything big and have a 4×8 box trailer for when I do have to haul furniture, mulch, stone and stuff. Funny that the wife is pushing the topper. I know she wants it so she can pack up the house when we go on vacation and not worry about it. Like the mat idea. Truck bed is coming sprayed up.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Topper here. Dog rides back there in a kennel.

Pros:
    Keeps everything clean and dry.
    Locks.
    Looks good.
    Adds a little weigh for a nicer ride.

Cons:
    Forgetting topper door is open and driving into or out of garage. smash

-J.

towrig

I would recommend getting a topper with the one latch in the middle, instead of the two on the outside. I would also go for a more sturdy sided topper instead of the more flimsy style. You will not regret it.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Topper. ARE brand.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Only complaint I have with my jason topper, and it’s my own fault, is the battery operated light lasted one set of batteries. Should have gone with the wired light (was worried about leaving it on and draining battery).

I’ve not ran into anything yet that has caused storage/fitting issues, but I also have a 5×8 trailer for bigger stuff like loads of lumber or my atv.

Though I will also reiterate JJ’s comment on leaving the lid up and backing out of the garage, did it once, fortunately heard it and stopped before doing any permanent damage.

soldiersdad1
    La Crosse, WI

x2 for the ARE topper. IMO, stay away from Jason toppers! Have one on one of my trucks and had some real issues with it. I called the company itself and actually talked with the owner’s/president’s son. He/they would not even listen to what the problem is/was that I’m having. He told me ” I don’t have the time to deal with you. I have 12 other callers!” VERY rude and they don’t stand behind their product!! Pretty sad that a person spends over $1300 of their hard earned money on one of their toppers, has problems with it and they could care less!! It was on the truck when I got it. I CAN PROMISE one thing for sure! I will NEVER own another Jason ANYTHING!! I’m getting an ARE put on next week!!!!

Charles

Anybody camp in the back of there truck using a topper?

I missed my old excursion for an emergency camper on long trips.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>
    Topper do look a little geriatric…

If the shoe fits…

Hey. Just because I have the courage not to dye my hair….. santa jester

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Anybody camp in the back of there truck using a topper?

I missed my old excursion for an emergency camper on long trips.

All the time! I have on that is extra tall tho. I made a table that wedges under the side widow frame and sits on the topper rail. A 30 inch single wide bed on the other side about wheel well height. Leaves me about 20 inches in between for an aisle back to front. I run a propane stove on the table and sit on my bed. Works great for a solo camper. I spent 6 weeks camping in it on a trip to Alaska on year.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

No icenuts I thought you decided on getting the toy hauler fish house instead of the enclosed trailer!!? Go BIG Buddy!!

I’m still looking for a trailer, I can get an enclosed 6X12 all aluminum for $3K, which I thought was a really good price. Granted it’s not a top of the line model, but it is all Aluminum frame, 15″ Steel Wheels might upgrade to aluminum, 3/4 drymax floor, ramp rear door. I just need to measure and make sure my wheeler and lodge will fit in it.

I think it’s worth the extra $1,200 to go enclosed over an all aluminum open trailer.

I wish I could afford the fish house, but it would be double the cost. I can always add holes in the floor and use sleeves, no need to drop it down.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Wow, there was a sucker punch. I heavily use my trucks – not beat them up.

Few things from the last 35 or so years of running pick up trucks with and without toppers.

Get the sprayed liner over the rail!

Open box gets salt on everything in the winter

T/covers are ok if your only 18″ tall and i lfind that I am always rolling them up to get to everything at the front of the bed. Least amount of functionality for me.

Standard height toppers are good for occasional use, keep your stuff out of the elements, and you have a chance at still putting it in the garage.

I opt for the high-liner tops. I crawl in the bed of the truck frequently and love the extra head room. I still throw the air mattress in the back and do a weekend fishing trip and it works great. Also found out that I became the designated tru7ck for picking up bull elk mounts. Friends have had a few they cant get into their low profile tops.

I’ve owned Jason, Leer, Lakeland and others. My favorite brand years ago was Jason. My recent Jason on my GMC is less than what I thought i was buying. Window seals suck, hardware sucked, and the workmanship was pathetic. Since I ordered it online and mirrored my previous cap, I had no idea that they cheapen everything up like they did. Was no comparison between old and new. I would most likely look to Leer and Lakeland if I was in the market for new.

Its easy to glass in accessories on a topper and make it into something custom if needed.
    Definitely slider windows/screens on the sides if you think you may do a night camp trip in it. I would not get the opening side access. I had too many leaks with the previous ones I owned.

Oh, and put the sticky side of the seal on the cap if you think you may take the topper on and off

Rusty Setter

X3 on ARE, very durable, and I have been very happy with mine, they also stand behind their product.

carver
    West Metro

For those that have toppers. Has anyone been able to keep the dust out on gravel?

CaptainMusky

For those that have toppers. Has anyone been able to keep the dust out on gravel?

Most of the dust that comes in actually comes in from the underside of the rails of the truck bed. There are foam inserts you can purchase or just buy some at a crafts store yourself. The other area is the end gate which they make a seal for. If you have those things covered you shouldn’t get too much dust inside.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

good question. I have installed a tailgate seal kit but when I was in Iowa two weeks ago driving those fine gravel roads for many miles the back end looked like a flour bag exploded on day 1. I had to cover the dog kennel with a blanket so she could breath. I have the tailgate kit but obviously need to put some more time into figuring it out.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have installed a tailgate seal kit but when I was in Iowa two weeks ago driving those fine gravel roads for many miles the back end looked like a flour bag exploded on day 1

Mine stays pretty darn clean driving gravel. Still get some dust accumulation but not to the point of hanging in the air. I have the tailgate sealed with foam and a rubber floor mat which covers most of the cracks along the floor.
    I also have a pass thu window in the front of the topper. Leaving that window and only that window open seems to be better as far as air flow and dust control. I think I get a bit of positive air pressure with it open and the dust doesn’t want to suck in from the vacuum created at the tailgate.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.