Truck Tire Pressure

• Bob Jones

Looking for some advice regarding tire pressure on my tow vehicle. I have always kept my truck tires at the rated PSI on the vehicle (typically 35 psi). However, I just had to replace my tires on my Ram 1500 after 24,000 as the center area of the rear tires was severely worn. I’ve read a few articles today recommending I increase the tire pressure when towing to either max pressure printed on the tire or by using a calculation based on tongue weight and contact area. I have towed boats for 20 years, however they were mostly 18’ aluminum so much lighter than the Skeeter WX2200 I purchase earlier this year.

So, what does everyone here do. Keep at vehicle recommended pressure, inflate to max on the tire sidewall, somewhere in between?

Appreciate the advice
    -Bob

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

It might be time to upgrade to a lite truck tire ( ten ply ). I run 65 psi in my LT tires. Sounds like your running passenger rated tires not really designed for towing a larger load .

Smellson

If they’re wearing excessively in the center it would indicate too high psi.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

If they’re wearing excessively in the center it would indicate too high psi.

Exactly!

snelson223
    Austin MN

I would go to a 10ply tire but don’t run max psi. I have Bf Goodrich all terrains on my F150 and only run about 40psi. Max psi is 80.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Yeah, get better tires.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

You really need to be aware of the weight rating if the tires you buy. I’ve found this to be espicially true when going to places that advertise cheap and discount…

Do some research online and learn what the ratings and such on the walls of tires mean.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

You really need to be aware of the weight rating if the tires you buy. I’ve found this to be espicially true when going to places that advertise cheap and discount…

Do some research online and learn what the ratings and such on the walls of tires mean.

This is excellent advice but if you don’t want to do the research, I would highly recommend an E rated tire for your application as others have mentioned.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Every truck I have owned since becoming a responsible adult weather it was a half ton, mid size truck or a 3/4 ton gas or diesel I have ran 10 ply tires and 40 PSI in the fronts and 50 PSI in the rear and rotated them every 10K. Always gotten excellent tread life. Currently have a set of Michelins that look new and have approx 40K miles on them.

Bassn Dan

Empty 1/2 ton truck 35 psi fronts, 32 in the rears or you WILL wear the center out of the rears regardless of what tire you put on.

Heavy load or a trailer with a heavy tongue go up in pressure with the rears accordingly.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

X2 on what most have said so far but be aware of a couple things. Heavier multi ply tires will in most cases have lower speed ratings so factor that in. Also tires inflated to the max are more prone to impact damage. You probably have enough tire for the load just overinflated for no load miles. If you need more capacity, larger might be better that heavier to maintain speed rating and ride quality.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.