Trout posession – the dirty little secret

• markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

While on the water, bank, or shore you may only possess the number and size of fish allowed for that portion of water. You may fish more than one water in a day but may not possess more than the daily bag and size limits for the water you are on. The total number of fish you may have at home or camp from all waters fished is 10 trout, of which only 5 can be a combined total of browns and rainbows, except for streams that flow into the Great Lakes. For streams that flow into Lake Michigan and Lake Superior the possession limit is twice the daily bag limit.

I wrote a letter to Dave Vetrano, La Crosse trout fisheries biologist of 30 plus years asking him the following:

Dear Dave,

There has been some discussion on the fishing boards. I’d like to get a solid answer. Please take a look at the following WI statute:

Presuming I have no fish in my freezer. I fish yellow five bag streams. Could I bag five mix/match browns, bring them back to camp. Next bag five brookies in a designated brook trout stream, all in one day?

This assumes I have NO fish already in my possession (home freezer, fridge, camp) prior to fishing. It also assumes I followed size limits for streams fishing.

Dave wrote back as follows:

Mark,

Yes, you are allowed the 10 trout caught as you describe.

Dave

David Vetrano

Fisheries Supervisor

3550 Mormon Coulee Rd.

La Crosse WI, 54601

608-785-9009

[email protected]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.