Odd?

• LenH
    Wisconsin

Have you had this happen to you.

I am fishing deep water and throwing deep stuff. The water is cold so I wait for it get down. Before I can wait for it I see movement in front me. It is a an extra large trout cruising down stream with my presentation in its mouth “like a dog carries a bone”. I felt no bite it happened so quick i was startled and the trout saw me and literally drop it when I saw it and was staring at it.

What would you have done?

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

First, I would have said a dirty word, followed by a chuckle or two.

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Len we were doing what was working. Pause to let it drop, then a slow retrieve.

The big trout that get away keep you coming back! You know where he lives. Go try again before the creek turns to chocolate milk!

capn’crappie
    Wisconsin

Last year I caught a 23″ brown retrieving a nightcrawler. Was reeling up to hit the next pool and wham! Just like a bass. Have no idea why a trout this size would hit a nightcrawer on the retrieve but she did. Hopefully she doesn’t do that again to another angler!

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Captain that is sweet. Were you fishing warmer water targeting bass then and the trout was unexpected? Big trout love worms.

capn’crappie
    Wisconsin

Fishing a designated trout stream – she must have been awfully hungry! I am not a big trout fisherman but I do take a few weeks in May/June to go after them. From the people I have talked to about this no one has ever heard of such a thing. It was a deeper pool with boulders in it – maybe the trout reacted out of being suprised by the worm being pulled overhead? Anyway, a trout that big isn’t any good to eat and who knows – maybe someone released that fish before and I had the privilege to catch it! Maybe we will tangle again this spring!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.