Timber Coulee

• markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

Even though there is a bag limit of five fish under 12″ the number of trout 12″ or larger are decreasing over time.

markdahlquist
    Eagan, MN

In case anyone is curious here is some data that I obtained from Matt Mitro, lead scientist who will be writing the creel census paper this summer. Kerr went and pulled data as he did not want to wait that long for the info. Aside from the population data attached here is a snapshot summary:
    GEAR 76% flies – 193 anglers 13% bait – 34 anglers 9% spinner – 24 anglers 1% other – 2 anglers

CATCH 811 trout caught 53 trout kept – 6.5% harvest rate

AGES 2% under 16 – 5 anglers 85% ages 16-64 13% ages 65 or older

Honestly I wish the study broke the ages up more. I’m willing to bet 80% of the anglers are 50 years or older, a sign of a dying sport.

DISTANCE TRAVELED 22% 0 to 25 miles 5% 25 to 50 miles 72% over 50 miles

So fish managers keep telling me big trout eat little trout yet I don’t see this happening. For those of you that keep fish, have you ever found a small trout in the belly of a larger trout? I never have. If big trout ate little trout then why does TC have a decrease in fish 12″ or larger? Same with the Kinni? The new five bag of trout under 12″ was put ion place to increase harvest of smaller trout. This regulation fails because harvest anglers are rare now.

Anyway looking for civil intelligent comments on the subject. I’m here to learn something, not create an old bait versus fly thing here. I am open to other points of view on the subject.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.