Opening weekend of Early Season

• ozzyky
    On water

Did any body make it out? I will give a little report and some pics. later on in the day. NOTHING TO BRAG ABOUT!

mccrty_ryn
    Holmen, WI

Looking forward to your report. I don’t tend to fish the early season, but I am looking forward to the regular season this year. Some of my favorite waters have not had much water lately. I think that that will change this year and fishing should be great.

ozzyky
    On water

I haven’t missed an early season opener since they started the season in Wisconsin. This year however, I wasn’t too excited with all the snow and the streams being so low on water and the water being so clear. I decided to ride snowmobile for most of the day and got to the stream around 4:30 and fished for about 45 min. The sun was still high in the sky and the fish were very lathergic for me. The key was to present things very slowly. I found the majority of the fish to be stacked up in the deeper, slower water. Lure selection needed to be small and I changed it up and never really developed a pattern. I caught fish on a small rap and also on plastics. Landed 6 fish and missed one but they were all dinks, however, it was nice to get out and enjoy the stream again. As the temps. rise the fish should become more active too! Here is a picture of the first three I caught. The rest were the same size too.

ozzyky
    On water

# 2 trout

ozzyky
    On water

Trout pic. # 3.

BomberA

Where were you at? and the hood on your face is too tight, it doesn’t let you smile.

Where are the 18-inchers? Did you try a kick-tail

ozzyky
    On water

Quote:

Where were you at? and the hood on your face is too tight, it doesn’t let you smile.

Where are the 18-inchers? Did you try a kick-tail

I didn’t have time to get to the 18+ inch territory. Beanie wasn’t cutting it so I had to double up w/ the face mask. I realize I look like a flaming homo…..but without it that probably doesn’t change anyways!

larsonmat
    Mondovi, WI

I got out for about 2 hours Saturday afternoon as well. The action was pretty strong for me. Got a 20″-21″ hawg brown on a husky jerk along with a nice 16″ fish and a few dinks as well. The small fish were lethargic but the big fish absolutely crushed my jerkbait . The slower portions of the pools did produce all my fish as well.

Matt

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

My brother and I got out as well. Started fishin’ around 1:00 and nothing to show till 3:00.. from then on it was fast and furious. We ended up with six Browns in the last hour ranging from 9″ dinks to 17″ fish. I whiffed one that threw the hook while airbourne like a smallmouth that was definitely well over 20″. Also whiffed on another 10 or so fish alll in one hole within a matter of ten minutes. Going to be out next weekend again and will hopefully post a report. Good luck out there guys! Tis is the season for some bruisers.

timmy

Are you guys all slinging hardware?

Nice fish, by the way. I hope to get out this week one eve after work. I’ll be flyfishing, though. Probably hit the kinni – and don’t expect to get anything there like in your guys reports.. My biggest there is just over 16″

Tim

ozzyky
    On water

Quote:

Probably hit the kinni – and don’t expect to get anything there like in your guys reports

As of this morning I would say the kinni wasn’t fishable. Water is running high and is chocolate milk. Doesn’t mean fish can’t be caught but I don’t think the odds are in anyones favor.

MiniIke
    Ellsworth, Wisconsin

I have been out a few times since the rivers cleared up but there has been a lot of MINNESOTANS out our Wisconsin rivers. And its tough when everyone of them is walking a different dircetion on the river.

ozzyky
    On water

Quote:

but there has been a lot of MINNESOTANS out our Wisconsin rivers

They buy a license and a stamp too. I would agree with ya on alot of people and pressure in certain areas, but it’s something you just have to deal with. Depends what time of day you go and what areas you are fishing too. The further you get from the bridges the more open water you find. I think they should have a stamp for those who want to fish the early season too. That would be another stamp that many would buy and generate more money for the dnr. It would also stop alot of the locals from complaining about the early season and maybe eliminate some of the pressure too.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

ozzyky:

We were in Amery for the weekend icefishing and I had thoughts of bringing waders with and jumping in a stream for a couple of hours, but I didn’t.

Mark

ozzyky
    On water

Mark,
    I was on the ice to Sat. too. The bite was good but I had trout fishing in the back burner of my mind. Made it out trout fishing sun. evening and caught close to 30 trout. My partner caught close to that number too. Water conditions were perfect. So I decided to try again yesterday and was humbled and ended up only hooking up w/ 6 trout. Still was a great night w/ the fog hovering over the stream.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.